Florence with kids- Need suggestions. Science Museum? Local Markets?

We have hired a private guide for Florence and are planning on seeing the requisite Accademia and tower in Pisa. I would like to also find something interesting for the kids. Has anyone been to the science museum where Galileo's finger (ewww..) is displayed? What about the markets? Are there really good deals to be had?

We have hired a private guide for Florence and are planning on seeing the requisite Accademia and tower in Pisa. I would like to also find something interesting for the kids. Has anyone been to the science museum where Galileo's finger (ewww..) is displayed? What about the markets? Are there really good deals to be had?

I can't speak for the science museum,but we just spent 3 weeks in Italy and Florence was one of our stays and my 3rd time there so I can speak for the markets.I think the markets and shoppiong as a whole is really quite good in Florence,but know your prices here before you shop there.At least in the stores as I found things from Italy re bags,shoes,etc. less here.That being said I love the markets,and I think your kids will too.I think all of you will just enjoy wandering the streets in Florence,and taking in the flavor.Ponte Vecchio is the jewelry bridge and that is really the place to know your prices,hoever,the filagree work is really beautiful and known in Florence.Leather is another product you will see a LOT of...:) FYI..smell it first..must past this test IMHO before I even look further.If you are there just for the day you can make the most of it.Enjoy!!!

When you are there go by the Mercato Nuovo (Straw Market) is also known as Mercato del Porcellino or Mercato del Cinghiale because of the bronze wild boar statue at one end, cast by Pietro Tacca in the 17th century after an antique original now in the Uffizi. Have them pet the well-polished porcellino's snout to ensure a return trip to Florence. It also makes a great spot to take pictures of you petting the boar's snout. It doesn't take up a lot of time but may be a fun thing for them to do. As mentioned above supposingly it will ensure you will come back to Florence someday in the future.

Have a great next cruise.

My husband and I visited the science museum and thought it was fascinating. How old are your kids? I don't think it would have much appeal to kids younger than 10. The presentation is somewhat "dry"...there aren't whiz-bang interactive sorts of exhibits our kids are growing up on...but yes, there are a lot of really interesting things there if you read the description of the exhibits and find some areas of interest to your kids, e.g., astronomy.

Archived