are we really doing this?

rafiki77

Okay so here's the thing. We are a family of four, 1 adult male 400+ lbs. 2 special needs children 10 yrs/6yrs. The children have Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Ectodermal Dysplasia (the latter means that they don't sweat) plus they each have their own other medical issues. We are planning on taking a cruise with Autism On the Seas. I want to go to Alaska, Daddy wants Mexican Riviera. Which do we do. I have heard bad things about Mexico (would be on Carnival) and have been to Alaska (this trip would be with Royal C.) How accessible is Mexico's streets for a special needs stroller? If we go to Alaska then we would be driving 20 hours. If we go to Mexico then we would be driving 2.5 hours. So no need for airfare. What should we do??? :confused:

Okay so here's the thing. We are a family of four, 1 adult male 400+ lbs. 2 special needs children 10 yrs/6yrs. The children have Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Ectodermal Dysplasia (the latter means that they don't sweat) plus they each have their own other medical issues. We are planning on taking a cruise with Autism On the Seas. I want to go to Alaska, Daddy wants Mexican Riviera. Which do we do. I have heard bad things about Mexico (would be on Carnival) and have been to Alaska (this trip would be with Royal C.) How accessible is Mexico's streets for a special needs stroller? If we go to Alaska then we would be driving 20 hours. If we go to Mexico then we would be driving 2.5 hours. So no need for airfare. What should we do??? :confused:

There's several factors in play here that you need to play a part of your decision.

• Cost: Alaska overall will be more expensive. The basic price is generally higher than Mexico. The cost of tours in Alaska tend to be more expensive.
  • Availablity of HC Cabin since it appears you probably require it. Therefore I would check the cruises you're considering to see which has a HC cabin available for the time you're wanting to go . HC cabins for Alaska book well in a year advance of the cruise due to the popularity of the Alaska.
  • The drive to port : Certainly a 2.5 hour drive would be less stressfull on everyone. It also would not require the additional expense that a 20 hour drive would required .

Alaska!

Alaska is part of the US and ADA is alive & well.

Every RC ship has at least one pool with a lift chair.

I assume you are looking at a round trip like

Round trip from Vancouver, British Columbia

Radiance Of The Seas

Ports of Call:

Vancouver, British Columbia;

Icy Strait Point, Alaska;

Hubbard Glacier (Cruising);

Juneau, Alaska;

Ketchikan, Alaska;

Vancouver, British Columbia

Your biggest problem will be finding an accessible cabin that will accommodate 4. Most cruise lines will only allow 2 in a cabin, and you will occasionally find one that accepts 3. A regular cabin or suite really won't work for you as you'll need a lot of space to accommodate everything.

As for destination, I'm not a fan of the Mexican Riviera because of all the drug cartel wars going on. That part of Mexico can be dangerous. Plus, accessibility is a factor. In reality, most cruise lines seem to have abandoned the Mexican Riviera itineraries.

I strongly suggest visiting a good local travel agent, because you really have special circumstances that requires the assistance of a knowledgable professional.

Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you.

I agree with elmom - it should definitely be possible. Longtime members of the board will remember I used to run a website that counted how many accessible, connecting, multi-pax cabins there were per ship and line. The site is down (something broke and I don't know what!) but I still remember there were HC cabins out there for 4 pax on most lines. Maybe only one or two per ship, but they do exist...unfortunately you do have to book early. Part of the stuff we deal with as disabled people!

I would also agree with Alaska for the reasons mentioned above. The ADA will prove to be enormously helpful. Also, since your kids don't sweat, it's likely to be cooler there no matter when you go - it might get up to 75 or 80, but during that same time it would be 90+ in Mexico!

I know the drive up the coast would be tough for you, but I think your family would enjoy Alaska much more. It's simply beautiful, too!

We are a family of 4, 2 of which are young adults with disabilities. One uses a travel chair due to a heart condition (among other disabilities). We don't book a HC cabin, just because we don't need it as all can walk at least short distances. I have seen a HC cabin, though and I would recommend it if you can get it just for the huge bathroom/shower. For your larger sized person, a regular shower in a regular cabin would probably be very uncomfortable, if not impossible to get around in.

We have never been to the Mexican Riviera, so can't comment on that. However, both our cruises went to Mexican ports and those in the Caribbean in early December and February. We were very worried about the heat both times due to DS's heart condition as he doesn't do well in hot and humid conditions. I am happy to report that during these months, at least, all the ports we visited were great with moderate temps and low humidity. We found the ports of Cozumel and Progreso, both in Mexico great as far as accessibility and very safe unlike the west coast of Mexico. No problems getting a wheelchair in a bus or cab, no problems wheeling around, native peoples very helpful and friendly, etc.

We have often dreamed of an Alaska cruise, but finances are an issue with that. The airfare alone to the west coast would cost us almost as much as the cruise, or more! I have also done some research on Alaska, and the excursions for 4 would also be cost prohibitive for us. If you can afford it, I would vote for Alaska, just because it would be a once in a ifetime thing. Mexico will always be a lower cost option and maybe in a few years they will get the violence under control on the Mexican Riviera.

Archived