Cruising for those of us that have had WLS.

SHELLKOV

I just had my Gastric Bypass done almost 3 months ago. We don't have any cruises booked right now, but I often wonder what it will be like to be on a ship and not be able to eat much. For those of you that have had this surgery, how did you do on your cruise?

I have not had the surgery - but my sister in law has just a short time ago. I think you will be surprised what is available to you - tons of protein and healthy food. Just thinking back on comments my SIL has made I really think you will be ok.

I just had my Gastric Bypass done almost 3 months ago. We don't have any cruises booked right now, but I often wonder what it will be like to be on a ship and not be able to eat much. For those of you that have had this surgery, how did you do on your cruise?

Shelly, you might want to try the "Lose Before You Cruise" boards, I know there were some people over there that have gone through this over the years and post over there.

I had the surgery in Aug 2003; sailed on the Conquest in Dec 04 - and it was wonderful. There are so many good things you can eat and that are good for you. You don't have to eat everything at one time - you'll need to spread your eating times out during the day. The buffets are going pretty much of the time during the day. I did eat the ice cream one day and got sick (too much sugar) - but I found other food to eat in its place. There are all kinds of meats, lots of veggies and several sugar free desserts. Plan to go when you can eat whatever and are back on your feet so you can enjoy everything!!!! Have a great time - you can email me if you have any other questions skcothren@aol.com One other thing to remember there are so many other things that you will be doing that most of the time you won't even think about eating!!!

We went on our last cruise 6 months after my DW had WLS. There were plenty of choices, she had no problems. She asked for 'child' portions, but found it was easier to just order, eat a small portion, and be done. There were plenty of sugar free deserts and sugar free ice cream.

When she wanted iced tea, they dont usually have decaf iced tea, so should would get one of the decaf hot teas and a glass of ice - no problem!

Either on the menu's or at the buffet, there were always plenty of choices for protein. All the extra walking we did countered the extra food she was not used to, and she ended up losing 5 pounds. Just remember and take the required vitamins.

Archived