Hot Air Ballooning in Fairbanks

travbee

I haven't personally been up with any of the local companies. I met one of the tour providers a few years ago, and didn't find him particularly friendly. Fairbanks has some pros and cons. You have to fly late at night (remember the sun doesn't go down til after midnight and there can be some nasty thermals in the afternoon and early evening). That means you may get back to the hotel late - not good if you have to be up for a 6am flight the next morning....The other is limited landing areas. Once you get a few miles out of town, roads are few and fields non-existent. There are also two military bases and one major airport to avoid. That said, there are two operators I know of - Midnight Sun Balloon Tours and Adventures Aloft, although I'm not sure that Adventures Aloft is still operating.

I've been hot air ballooning, not in Fairbanks, but in Arizona. What an incredible experience! The quiet and the views and incredible. Just knowing that you're aloft at 11pm would be something else.

Sounds like there might be some things to check out in Fairbanks, but if you can work it into your schedule, I recommend the experience of ballooning.

Archived