Cant decide on birthday Cruise, Jewel or Liberty?

indie

Hello, I am having the hardest time deciding on a cruise for my wife and I. We went on our first cruise a few years ago (Carnival Inspiration to Cozumel and Grand Cayman out of Tampa) and loved it. We just havent been able to afford a major vacation since.

I just got a promotion and my wife got a new job and I have decided that I want to go on a cruise for my 35th birthday which is December 3rd.

1. Jewel of the Seas Grand Cayman/Cozumel - 5 days, Departs from Tampa December 3rd

2. Liberty of the seas Labadi/Falmouth - 5 days, Departs from Ft. Lauderdale December 3rd -

3. Liberty of the Seas Belize City/Cozumel - 5 days, Departs from Ft. Lauderdale December 8th -

Why the Jewel of the Seas:

I love the Tampa area, my best friend and his wife live in Tampa so that is why I wanted to cruise out of Tampa again. I would probably stay 2 nights in Tampa before the cruise. We really enjoyed our ports in the last cruise. Stingray City in grand cayman was a great experience that we would like to do again, we also have been anxious to see more of Cozumel and possibly rent a car or hire a driver. The Jewel offers the same Itinerary we enjoyed so much on the Inspiration, with a bigger, prettier and better ship. Tampa would also be a shorter drive for us by a couple of hours.

Why the Liberty of the Seas?

Ever since we returned from our inspiration cruise we have been thinking about trying a big ship. We watched the travel channel special on the Freedom of the Seas and said we'd love to be on a ship like that. The onboard activities and just the small city feel of the ship are appealing. It just looks like so much to do and see. It would also offer at least one different port of call, depending on which cruise we pick. I prefer to spend my birthday on the ship, but i'd cruise on december 8th if Cozumel/Belize are the prefered ports of call to Labadee/Falmouth

My first cruise I turned to you guys for sound advice and had the time of my life. Now I want to get some opinions again and see who sways me one way or the other. Thanks!

I would go Liberty. Coz/Belize. The reasons are it is a big ship and will have tons of entertainment on it. I would book Chops for the anniversay. It will let you go to Coz and a new port of call. This way you can compare ships and decide if you like the bigger ships. Enjoy.

Wow, tough choices. I'm not sure hw far Tampa is from Ft. Lauderdale. Would departing from Ft. Lauderdale mean you would miss out of seeing your friends? If yes, go out of Tampa. If no, take Liberty. We're doing the Labadee, Falmouth route in March and both stops were on our last cruise. I'd do an excursion in Falmouth...we did Dunns River Fall and really enjoyed it. We will do something different this time. It seems like people who choose excursions seem to enjoy Falmouth more than those who don't.

Have a great trip, whichever you choose!

I live in Tampa and also love it here....however I very seldom ever sail out of Tampa as much more prefer the larger ships. I would recommend Liberty...you guys are young and it will offer much more entertainment choices....they have recently "Oasis'ized" the ship and added the Broadway production show of Saturday Night Fever as well as the giant screen by the pool. As far as itinerary...I personally would stay away from the Belize sailing....what a waste of a port...and the tender ride is terrible...have no interest in any ship heading to Belize. Falmouth is a brand new port and they have done a very nice job on it and Labadee with the new addition on the dock is great.

Thank you all for the responses so far. I am a bit intrugued by falmouth/labadee after watching some youtube videos.

I'd be coming from West Columbia, SC.

8 hour drive to Tampa, and 10 hour drive to Ft Lauderdale. Tampa is 4 hours from Ft. Lauderdale, Tara.

Bajathree, my friends from Tampa are cruising in March out of Ft. Lauderdale. I'm not sure what ship but I think they are doing an 8 day Carnival Cruise. I'm trying to get them to go with us again in December.

I was leaning Jewel, but now i'm REALLY torn after the Liberty recomendations so far.

I think you can't go wrong no matter which you choose. :)

My choice would be Liberty/Falmouth/Labadee for you since it would be a totally new experience for you with the big ship and the new ports.

It's a personal choice, but we prefer the bigger ships. I've been one Radiance class ship, and it was very nice, but the DH and I both agree that we prefer the bigger (Voyager class and above) ships. We love the atmosphere of the promenade, and there just feels like there's always more to do. Of course, there are a lot of cruisers who prefer only the smaller ships, particularly the Radiance class. This sounds like a good opportunity for you to check out the bigger ship and see which you prefer.

The biggest ship I have been on is the Mariner, so I can't speak for the Freedom class ships, but would love to try them at some point. We did our first cruise on the Jewel and hope to go again on the Jewel this November for our birthdays.

We really loved lots of features on the Jewel that are unique to the Radiance class ships. Glass sided elevators overlooking the sea, outdoor seating for the Windjammer, Seaview Cafe, Self-Leveling Pool Tables. We also loved the crew.

If price is similar, you could always draw out of a hat or just pick a ship and try the other one next time.

Good luck with your decision!

Beth

Both ships are awesome.

Personal favourite is the Liberty.

I love the Grand Cayman and Cozumel Itinerary -- both great beach locations.

If Tampa was closer to us I would take the Jewel for the itinerary (it is 2 1/2 hours away).

We were in Falmouth and Labadee in December (Liberty) and earlier this month (Allure). Love the beach day on Labadee. Didn't even get off the ship at Falmouth this last time because there is no beach nearby.

Have done the Belize & Cozumel itinerary and would stay on the ship in Belize and go to beach in Cozumel.

If you do go on the Liberty then I vote for Portofino for your special dinner.

Photos in the link below of the beaches and both ships. (Jewel photos in Caribbean Cruising Album)

Kathy:)

If price is similar, you could always draw out of a hat or just pick a ship and try the other one next time.

Good luck with your decision!

Beth

I really really hope we can do that and maybe get to experience both. I was leaning towards the Jewel, but now the Liberty might be edging ahead as there are so many cruises that make the Cozumel/Grand Cayman run and we have done that before.

The prices on the cruises departing on my birthday are very close.

We avoid Belize City so that knocks out #3. The Radiance class (Jewel) are our favorite ships. So classy with a connection to the water because of all of the glass. We love being able to go outside on the aft in the Windjammer and watch the wake while eating. If you go to the Cozumel section of this board, you'll find lots of posts about Nachi Cocom, an all-include private beach club. Included in the price is a 3-course meal plus all drinks. It's a short cab ride on a nice paved divided highway with little traffic. $15 each way. I do understand wanting to experience the big ships so it's really a toss up between #1 and #2.

We avoid Belize City so that knocks out #3. The Radiance class (Jewel) are our favorite ships. So classy with a connection to the water because of all of the glass. We love being able to go outside on the aft in the Windjammer and watch the wake while eating. If you go to the Cozumel section of this board, you'll find lots of posts about Nachi Cocom, an all-include private beach club. Included in the price is a 3-course meal plus all drinks. It's a short cab ride on a nice paved divided highway with little traffic. $15 each way. I do understand wanting to experience the big ships so it's really a toss up between #1 and #2.

Thanks again to all. #3 is out due to both Belize not being recommended and the fact that it is the week after my birthday. :D

I was considering Nachi Cocum and have probably read most of the threads about it. Last time in Cozumel my wife and I did the all inclusive at Playa Uvas. She doesnt drink alcohol but we she still enjoyed the virgin drinks. Nachi looks like a much nicer beach. We really wanted to see the entire island by rental car so if we went that route, we'd probably not do Nachi and instead go to Punta Sur and maybe stop by Sanchos or the Money Bar. But if we decide for a relaxing beach day in Cozumel, Nachi is top of the list!

I agree a tough choice.,

We love the Radiance class ships and if you haven't gone under the Skyway bridge on a cruise its something to see.

The Liberty is a favorite of ours and I agree with the others it has great entertainment.

Sorry I wasn't any help but I love both................

After doing the liberty this January, and radiance out of Tampa last year, i agree it is a tough choice. I personally want to do the Falmouth / Labadee itinerary, so that would be my choice. With Liberty you do have some AMAZING entertainment, with Saturday Night Fever, Up In the Air, and Encore. If you go the Jewel route, in Cozumel we went to Paradise Beach, and it was beautiful and only $2/person. Either way you slice it, you're going to have an awesome time.

Wow, I didnt expect such a one sided endorsement of the Liberty! You guys definitely have me interested in going that route now, and I wasnt even considering it until two days ago.

Any suggestions for a Falmouth excursion?

Why not visit your friends in Tampa for a couple of days and then drive to Fort Lauderdale for the cruise.

The Freedom class ships are just terrific and you will be so glad you made the choice to sail Miss Liberty.

Good luck with your decision and Happy BD early!

I vote Liberty. Reason being, 4 of my friends and I were going on Jewel out of Tampa in March and I just switched the booking to Liberty on Saturday as final payment was due yesterday. Like you, I have wanted to try a bigger ship ever since my first cruise in 2005. I'm totally stoked after looking at all of the entertainment and activities on Liberty :cool:

Not yet set in stone, but I have tentatively decided on the Liberty and I contacted a couple of TA's today about the December 3rd Labadee/Falmouth Sailing.

Thanks everyone for your input!

indie, I know you will LOVE the Liberty! You won't regret that choice! My husband & I spent our honeymoon on the Freedom of the Seas, which I know you know that is a sister ship to the Liberty. :-) We did the Western Caribbean too, w/ the same itinerary, except we went to Ocho Rios, Jamaica instead of Falmouth. As a matter of fact, we are sailing on the Freedom again this March! We loved the ship so much that we didn't care that we would be doing the Western Caribbean itinerary again. This time though, we'll also be going to Falmouth. We love the Western Caribbean anyway, but for us, we just HAD to go back on that ship! :-)

I noticed someone just mentioned how they enjoyed eating at the Windjammer by the windows & watching the wake below on the Jewel of the Seas. Well, all the Freedom Class ships have that same feature. My hubby & I loved that as well. All the windows surrounding the Windjammer, looking down below at the ocean at the very back of the ship. It was one of our favorite things to do. Also, the Royal Promenade is ahhhmazing! To be honest, I'd be fine if I didn't even get off that ship to even hit the islands. lol! It's that awesome.

I think you will really enjoyed Labadee. It was one of my favorite ports. So beautiful! There is a lagoon type area on the beach where you can rent these floating mats & just float around in the wake-free water. It was a little slice of paradise. :-)

Anyhoo, just wanted to throw out my opinion. Cruising is so much fun that I'm sure you'll love whatever ship you choose. Happy cruising! :-)

Archived