Technical questions on Cyber Cabin service

I've searched all over the web for definitive answers on *exactly* how to setup my laptop to use the RCI Cyber Cabin service once I get on board, but so far have found no specific information, other than "it works most of the time" or "i couldn't figure out how to use it with Outlook Express." I also tried calling RCI's customer service, but got no where quickly (even after the call was escalated to 2nd level support). Apparently very few are familiar with the logisitics of setting up a laptop on board. I cannot be the only person in the world who is wondering this, but I don't know why it's so hard to find this information on the web.

Please, please respond to this post if you can help with the following technical questions (Please no speculative responses - I've read enough of these already. I'm looking for actual user experiences!).

1) Does the ship act as my ISP, or do I simply route my dial-up call to my normal ISP in the states?

(a) First, if the ship acts as my ISP, I would assume that RCI provides some kind of "local access number," which I would then plug in to Windows dial-up networking. Is this correct?

(b) Second, I would imagine that if the ship acted as my ISP, then client programs like AOL would have to be switched to TCP-IP mode in order for me to use them (i.e., the same idea as if I was using my laptop with a wifi/broadband connection, and wanted to use AOL's client software).

© Third, if the ship acts as my ISP, can you post the smtp server name that RCI uses, so I can preconfigure email clients like Outlook before I board the ship?

2) If the ship does not act as my ISP, then how do I call my ISP in the states? Do I actually place an international call (i.e., country code, area code, etc.)? This makes no sense, but I haven't been able to rule it out. Or, is there some special way to call up my ISP, which is explained on the information sheet provided when you purchase the service? Please explain *in detail* how to connect to your (US-based) Internet Service Provider (i.e., SBC, AOL, MSN, Netzero, etc.) when on the ship.

If both (1) and (2) are wrong, please explain (with specific details on phone numbers, IP addresses, smtp server names, etc.) how to setup your laptop to use the Cyber Cabin service (or, at least how you did it on your last cruise).

In addition, comments about *technical* problems you've had with the Cyber Cabin service, and how you resolved them, would be extrememly helpful.

Thanks!

wow...that was some loooooong question!

as for using your laptop in the cabin...when i was on the brilliance last april, we opted not to do it. the cost was high and the service was extremely slow. i was even told by the concierge that i'd be better off just usung the computers they have all over the ship.

as for what isp...when you turn on the computer it gives you the option to choose which isp to use. i use aol, and although i eventually was connected to the aol server, the amount of time it took to send one lousy email was off the charts! i passed on trying again because i'd rather be out by the pool or doing other "cruise" stuff.

if you take your laptop, you have to go to the concierge desk and they give you a cable to hook your laptop into the socket in the wall in your cabin.

if i'm not mistaken, the charge was about $100.???? if you call rci, they will be able to tell you the correct price. $95...that's what i think it was....something really silly!

so....now that we've gotten that out of the way...are you sailing with us???? if not, then please post your technical question on the help boards and not here. thanks.....

Different ships use different systems. On Brilliance, we merely signed up for Cybercabin service, left a deposit on our Sea Pass for the cord, followed the printed instructions to connect provided by Guest Relations (which is where you go to sign up), and logged on. On Adventure, we received a special phone, which replaced our regular cabin phone. Once again, we followed the instructions provided by Guest Relations and logged on. The ship's server serves as your ISP. If you have set up Outlook Express to receive mail via a high-speed DSL, cable or wireless connection provided by an ISP other than your own (i.e., AOL, AT&T), your e-mail should be all set. Just use those settings to download your mail.

The connection is rather slow. We averaged 24-48 kbps. You may want to check your mail at the source rather than downloading it to Outlook Express.

The entire procedure is relatively easy, and anyone with a little bit of internet connection knowledge should have no problem setting up his/her laptop onboard. If you have problems, you can always call tech support, although those folks don't seem to keep regular hours. We use our laptop onboard for business, so we understand that an internet connection may be very important to you, but you're worrying about this much more than you need to, in my opinion. You'll get it to work; it just won't be very reliable or fast.

Radio currently has a thread going -Live from the Mariner-and I believe she is using cybercabin. Maybe once you return you can contact her for details, but as olliekl said, different ships may have different procedures.

I´m sure I can´t answer your questions detailed as you asked them. I try to explain it however. This is from actual expierience twice last year on the Jewel of the Seas (Radiance class). I know from here that it is different on Voyager class.

Once you signed up for Cyber Cabin you´ll get a little brochure explaining how to set up your laptop. You also get a cable to connect to the ships system.

You´ll also be informed that it could be a problem to get access to a secure server (https). I had no problem with this but it could be a problem.

The cable you get has an RJ11 plug on the one side to connect to your modem (you need a dial-up modem, Network card will not work) and a RJ45 lpug on the other side to hook up to the wall socket in your cabin.

The cable is very short and you have to sit with your laptop where the socket is. The cable is only a few inches in length. If you are prepared and take a phone cord extension you can use it.

After connecting the cable you start your computer and set up a new dial up connection on windows. You´ll be provided with a number like 3999 to use for dialing into the ships system.

That´s all to set up. I don´t use Outlook Express, but Outlook. With Outlook I had nothing more to do than the procedure I described. Once connected through the dial up procedure I used my Internet Explorer and my Outlook just as at home without having to adjust any settings.

I believe on the Voyager class ships the only difference is the cable connection. The setup for the dial-up will probably the same.

I hope this helps a little bit although not answering your questions as specific as asked.

We used the cabin connection on the Radiance in Alaska. The Customer Service desk gave us a cable and instructions. It worked fine, just slow as the other poster said and sporadic in Alaska for various reasons. We learned quickly to put everything in word and then copy it to whatever ( email - CC page, etc.)

We also have Outlook Express and we check our eamil by going to

http://www.mail2web.com You can then enter your id and email password and get to your mail in the ISP server. You can do everything there you can do by downloading to your system.

A note on the Voyager class set up...

Make sure you plug the new phone they give you into the outlets by the vanity. We tried for another location(by the bed) and it didn't work. When we called technical support they told us to move it and it worked fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived