Moby Dick Tour or Captain Marvin's Tour?

vigmar2

Hello,

We will be in Grand Cayman when we take our Carnival Conquest cruise from

February 19-27.......in 4 short weeks! We are trying to decide what to do in Grand Cayman and really would prefer to not do a cruise line sponsored tour as they are expensive and have too many people on the tours(from our past experience)

Has anyone had any experience(positive or negative) with either of these tour companies? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

We did Captain Marvin and it was great. We were very pleased with it. We missed our assigned time as we didn't get off the ship in time. But they just moved us to the next time slot. All was good.

Nancy

Hello,

We will be in Grand Cayman when we take our Carnival Conquest cruise from

February 19-27.......in 4 short weeks! We are trying to decide what to do in Grand Cayman and really would prefer to not do a cruise line sponsored tour as they are expensive and have too many people on the tours(from our past experience)

Has anyone had any experience(positive or negative) with either of these tour companies? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I have been to Stingray City twice with Captain Marvin's and had a great experience both times.

I don't think you will find much in the way of negative with many of the popular tour companies, such as Nativeway, Moby Dick or Captain Marvin. As you say, the fact that there are less people on the tours make the time at Stingray City more meaningful, because you have more time in the water and more interaction with the stingrays.

We used Captain Marvin's this past January for the Stingray City combo Island Tour. They were great. Our tender got us in past the time for our departure, so the switched our tour around and just put us on the next available time slot. No problems there. We actually ended up being the only people on the Island Tour portion which was really nice. We went to Hell, a short island tour on the way there with a couple of photo stops and the Turtle Farm. Then we went to Stingray City. That was great. From there we did a snorkel stop which was very nice.

All in all, we couldn't have had a better day in Grand Cayman! It was my husband, myself and our kids, ages 10 and 12. It was perfect for all 4 of us.

CalifCruiser1 - Just go to mobydicktours dot com and you should be able to get the entire lowdown. We went with them in March 2011 and had a fantastic time with only 13 of us onboard the whole boat compared with 60+ on the cruise ship tours. Here are some photos and a YouTube video of our excursion. Highly recommend them.

Video:

CIMG2986.jpg.e574e728d88cda7f2db0ea48d9d75889.jpg

CIMG2992.jpg.f7112c3a2b7a738780e1dfaff4633d8c.jpg

CIMG3004.jpg.057cecff8bef215e808d9db2d72f7f7a.jpg

CIMG2982.jpg.df88f63f2e8f9fb18c56cefb8aeedd26.jpg

I wanted to go with Moby Dick, but on another board someone said that they were set up with Moby Dick and when they got there, Moby put them with another business, as they weren't going out that day?!?! Any idea why that would happen?
I can only imagine it was one of those rare circumstances beyond control, but at least they worked with another company to make sure the folks got the same excursion. It could have happened the other way; Captain Marv's could have had technical problems and put their customers with Moby Dick. I wouldn't let this one instance deter me from going with them. In fact, I think it is a positive and shows great customer care. Moby Dick is still #1 on Trip Advisor.

We have been to GC twice and done the Stingrays with two seperate companies. The first time we used Island marketing and had Captain Bryan. We had a good time. The second time we went we used Moby Dicks...Wow what a difference. The Moby Dick crew was fantastic. The crew was so knowledgable and funny. They took us to a fantasic snorkeling spot after the rays. I highly recommend Moby Dicks. Two thumbs up!!!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
... The Moby Dick crew was fantastic. The crew was so knowledgable and funny. They took us to a fantasic snorkeling spot after the rays. I highly recommend Moby Dicks. Two thumbs up!!!

I can second that comment !! The best excursion of our entire cruise. :) The stingray area appeared to be too crowded when we first approached so the captain went to the snorkel spot first and waited for the crowd to thin out. Very informative and reassuring regarding the stingrays which made it an awesome trip!! One of our crew unexpectedly jumped overboard on the trip back to shore and came back up with two huge, beautiful starfish for us all to pass around and see - put them back in very timely so no harm was done !! We will definitely use them again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
CalifCruiser1 - Just go to mobydicktours dot com and you should be able to get the entire lowdown. We went with them in March 2011 and had a fantastic time with only 13 of us onboard the whole boat compared with 60+ on the cruise ship tours. Here are some photos and a YouTube video of our excursion. Highly recommend them.

Video:

Did you book a private charter with Moby Dick for your group of 13 or did you just happen to have the whole boat to yourselves? Wondering because I didn't really see any info on private group charters on their website and am looking to do so for my group of 12. Thanks!

Archived