Cunard to Leave Manhattan for Brooklyn

cunarder

JeanneS

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check out the Battery area. My wife and I are going direct from SFO to Heathrow. Due to time constraints we can only spend one night in London. Kind of depressing.

Robbie:)

Here's a little news item regarding the Port Authoritie's attempts to line up taxi companies to handle the passengers at the new port facility in Red Hook.

Port Authority seeks a few good taxis

Agency seeks car-service company for cruise ship port

By Gersh Kuntzman

The Brooklyn Papers

Hey, taxi — the Port Authority is hailing you.

The bi-state agency, which will help christen the new Red Hook cruise ship terminal with the arrival of the Queen Mary 2 on April 15, is looking for a car-service company that can handle the hundreds of disembarking passengers at the Brooklyn home port.

The new terminal will welcome 38 of the gargantuan crafts this year. And according to the agency’s “request for proposals,” roughly 35 percent of each boat’s 2,500-3,000 velour-suited passengers will need a cab when they disembark — enough buffet-fed tourists to swamp virtually all Brooklyn livery services combined.

The winning cab company must also have “a dedicated, experienced, on-site uniformed dispatch service [and] a dedicated management staff” — another requirement that many Brooklyn cab customers say does not exist in the borough.

“There is not a single company in the city, let alone Brooklyn, that could do what [the Port Authority is] asking,” said Alex Mulerman, the comptroller at Apex Limousines, which is the closest black-car company to the ship terminal.

Apex has 150 cars at its disposal.

Port Authority spokesman Steve Coleman said the agency would most likely settle on two or three companies to handle the traffic jointly.

“We’ve never done anything like this before,” he said. At the Port Authority-run airports, for example, yellow cabs pick up multitudes of passengers.

The agency will host a tour of the facility, which is still being built, on Wednesday, March 15, at 10 am. Bids will be due a week later.

All proposals must take into account the Port Authority’s “cut”: $2 per car or $250 per ship, whichever is greater.

Cruiserking

I wonder what they will do with the "contracdt" if they are not ready to accept a few of the first ships scheduled because the docks are not ready?

And $2 per car.... greedy... but I guess that is how it goes.

A minor-to-medium concern that I have is that the pier will not be ready on April 15 and that the QM2 departs from Manhattan (hip hip horay!), but on the return from Southampton, docks at Brooklyn. We will end up having to arrange for transportation to the Manhattan pier parking lot to pick up our vehicle at added expense.

Paul

Hi Jeanne,

I guess Sandy and I will just miss you on your return. We sail on Oct. 7th on the Star Princess out of Red Hook. I wish QM2 was there for us to see. I would like to show my inlaws someday.

Ed

Hi Ed! How have you and Sandy been and how is Katie? We are returning when - October 8th? (I just know its a 9 night sailing and we leave 9/30). Guernsey Guy - Peter informed me Captain Wright is on the Sapphire Princess - about to sail on a Love Boat Mexican Riveria cruise out of LA, then he sails north to Alaska, Beijing and Osaka.

I keep hoping Princess assigns him to the Crown. It sure would be nice to sail to "Ireland Island" (he will not call it King's Wharf or the Dockyard) a third time with him as well as this new port to ships, Grand Turk.

Jeannie

Hi Jeanne,

I was kind of hoping Captain Wright would be assigned to the Star Princess for our New England cruise in October. Either that or Sandy, Katie, and myself are looking at a QM2 transatlantic in May, June, July of 2007. We are thinking of taking 2 weeks so we can spend some time in Ireland, London, and Southampton. Katie has never been to Ireland(neither have Sandy and I)/England so it would be nice for her.

Otherwise, we have all been fine. Just waiting and planning for our next cruises. I hope you are doing well and enjoying your cruises. Hopefully we can meet up again and share some Geyser Peak Cab. Sav. or a nice bottle of Moet.

Have fun,

Ed

Hey Ed.

Sounds like a nice stay in Europe.

Our "paper of record" (NYT) had a nice article by John Maxtone Graham about the impending waterfront yesterday as well as the history of Piers 88-92 and their ever expanding lengths, beginning with the Normandie.

Ah yes, those wines...That was the best part of Martinique, the wine shops (and the Bat Cave).

Jeannie

So, back to the TOPIC of this thread

r=1&oref=slogin[/url]

It was CUNARDER (Ed) who started this thread over a year before you commenced posting on this forum. A first TOPIC being:

"Lets us not forget the lost souls of Titanic on this the 93rd Anniversary."

:confused: We reside near Philadelphia so it is cost effective to rent a car in Manhattan and drop it off near home. From the Manhattan piers, it was a cinch with lots of car rental companys within a 10 minute ride .

I cannot find any near Redhook. If I am seeing this correctly, the nearest major car rentals would be at JFK. this would mean a long cab ride to a busy airport, paying the airport rental car premium, then driving the same route back to pick up the bridge to New Jersey.

Am I wrong? Does anyone have better info on a car rental other tan cabbing to JFK or Manhattan?

I live in Central NJ. When sailing out of NY, we would always leave our car parked at the terminal. Now that we are sailing out of Red hook in August, I wouldn’t dare leave my car in such a seedy area. Called seven limo companies in my area. Not one will take us to Red hook. One actually said: “You have to be kidding. Why would any cruise company put their passengers at risk in such a neighbor?” So now getting there will be will be less than half the fun!!

I can’t believe Arison’s thinking on this. But I guess he doesn’t matter to him as he will never have to visit such a place.

Hi All,

Living about 25-30 minutes (In the Bay Ridge Area of Brooklyn) from the pier and able to leave my car home and take local car service to meet the Mary, I do feel for all you who are located outside the city and afar. Even those that are coming from the airports we feel for you ever since they announced the construction of the new piers.

My wife and I have visited the construction site in the past to view it and still are wondering how the area will be re-built in the future as we will be picking up the Mary in July 06. I do agree now and as a Brooklyn Native for 50+ years even then in the past, the area is not one that is inviting since it is mostly industrial and active in the daytime by commerical carriers. I personally would not walk in that area at sundown. Also traffic is the main concern and all should be forewarned. Again, growing up in Brooklyn we as natives are acustom to traffic and know the shortcuts. But, once there is a traffic jam - you have to live with it and be patient.

Sea-Sea, I do also feel for you. I know where the car services are coming from with their remarks with the area as it is. I have left my car in the past in Manhattan on the pier and felt confident. Even though we have seen large gates around the perimeter of the pier in Brooklyn, I am not sure if I would be happy leaving my car as of yet there. We are not sure if they have their act together with security yet.

Daddywarbucks, I also see your concerns. I do have abit of information for you if it helps. There is a company close to the pier about 5-15 minutes away called Enterprise Rent A Car. I think it is a nationwide company. We use this company in town if we had to rent a car in case our car has to have extensive work done.

Enterprise Rent A Car - Park Slope Branch

453 3RD AVE

BROOKLYN, NY 11215-3120

Tel.: (718) 369-5100

Need Car - Call From Within Town 1-800-RENT A CAR

Need Car - Call From Out of Town 1-800-325-8007

Business Hours (for the week of Mar 20, 2006)

Open Close

Monday 7:30 am 6:00 pm

Tuesday 7:30 am 6:00 pm

Wednesday 7:30 am 6:00 pm

Thursday 7:30 am 6:00 pm

Friday 7:30 am 6:00 pm

Saturday 9:00 am Noon

Sunday Closed

Don't know if this is any help but wish to past this on to you. Maybe they can help you further. I would not want to go out of the way after getting off the ship unecessary, just go home.

We do hope that the cruiselines, city and also port authority do upgrade that area to make it more friendly to those who are going to be landing at that new facility.

Regards,

:) ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

Though Enterprise generally does a great job, I do not think one way rentals are part of their business model. I would do some searching by going to each of the big name sites to see where their nearest location is.

by the way, it looks like Cunard is feeling more confident about the terminal being open on April 15th. I received corrected directions today naming the Red Hook facility vs. the old terminal they sent before.

ELSO...

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunatly Enterprise Rent A Car, Park Slope Branch does not allow one way rentals from their location. I need to drop it off near home. Any other ideas?

If there are car rentals in Manhattan, how about a transfer from Cunard to Manhattan (as if you were staying at one of the hotels!)

Also, I think we should give Red Hook a chance. Yes, I know it is in an area where there was a huge housing project with a big drug problem and all of the attendent problems. From what I have read (and I have read a few things from various sources) the area is much better than it was, and real estate prices are starting to be unreachable in many of the areas near-by because of gentrification. There are art galleries springing up in the area, and it seems the area is poised to really take off. I think Mickey probably knows this, and wants to lead the parade, not follow behind the elephant contingent. He knows that he writes the rules at Red Hook. He can ask for, and get, just about anything he want there! They are sort of at his mercy. Without him, and his refined ships, Red Hook does not take off, nearly to the extent it is poised to do. I suspect it won't be ready at the start, but there is to be a huge parking GARAGE (not open air like Manhattan) on the facility property, Now lots of things can happen in garages, but it is certainly easier to secure them than on-street or surface parking.

I kind of look at this as sort of the Field of Dreams of cruise piers- Build it and they will come! (Or maybe it's come and they will build it, in this case!) I think you may soon see quaint little boulangeries and patisseries, coffee shops with Wi-Fi and all of the things which might befit such an area. Right now, it is home to Stevedores and Longshoremen. I hate to say it, but such men have always attracted an element who will provide the wares they seek with the better wages they get because of the unions. (I realize I am generalizing and we all know about that!- But so, too, are we painting Red Hook with this horrible brush as though it were evil incarnate, and anyone driving in in broad dayllight is likely to get carjacked or mugged. I rather think that is not the case. Certainly not as dangerous as it seems Rio de Janiero, Brazil is! Would you refuse to go there because of their crime rate (or the perception there-of! Hmm, it could be Fort Apache the Bronx! Or Libertyville Miami! Or one of many, MANY "bad sections of town" in thousands of American (or dare I say it, British) cities!

Give it a chance folks!

Karie, who can get lost on the GW! Never mind city streets

But, you MUST admit being local and viewing it "IT'S GOT ALONG WAY TO GO"!

Regards,

:confused: ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

Well, Eslo- I'm not actully local (Connecticut) never actually been there. And I will admit as how you ARE local, and have seen it up close. But I think people are condmening it before they see it!

And yes, the ship won't go past the Manhattan skyline (at least not the WESTERN skyline!

So, I defer to your up-close and personal knowledge, but I suspect the truth is somewhere in the middle!

Karie,

who looks forward to finding out for herself!

Well, Eslo- I'm not actully local (Connecticut) never actually been there. And I will admit as how you ARE local, and have seen it up close. But I think people are condmening it before they see it!

And yes, the ship won't go past the Manhattan skyline (at least not the WESTERN skyline!

So, I defer to your up-close and personal knowledge, but I suspect the truth is somewhere in the middle!

In time the truth will come to be.........

And cruising does have many skylines to past.......

Living in NY is a ongoing learning experience. Travel-to-go has alot of nice and wishful thoughts in mind but NY politics also have a hand in this and we know how delays do occur ex. World Trade Center (which my wife and I had personally experienced up close that date).

But, there will be many issues to encounter before all these will materialize in the many, many years to come. Just view the surrounding neighborhood outside the gates and the approaches that are typical old style one way streets and non-multi lane avenues (like the Westside Hwy) which causes congestion with one single tractor-trailer or simple delivery truck double parked that will add to the confusion.

In time the truth will come to be.........

And cruising does have many skylines to past.......

Living in NY is a ongoing learning experience. Travel-to-go had alot of nice and wishful thoughts in mind but NY politics also has a hand in this and we know how delays do occur ex. World Trade Center (which my wife and I had personally experienced up close that date) rebuilding.

But, there will be many issues to encounter before all these will materialize in the many, many years to come. Just view the surrounding neighborhood outside the gates and the approaches that are typical old style one way streets and non-multi lane avenues (like the Westside Hwy) which causes congestion with one single tractor-trailer or simple delivery truck double parked and blocking that will add to the confusion.

At one point, I had concern about the safety of my car with the conditions of the streets surfaces. Many cabs and limo companies have aired their feels about this and coming close to the opening date - this has not been addressed in any fashion. Even Commerical Buses will have limitations on there movement. City bus routes don't venture after a certain point down there.

Yes, we will see your point and how it plays out in the future. True shops, restaurants etc.. within the grounds would be a BIG help. But outside - long, long way to go!

As I said earlier, I too will experience this first hand for a July cruise and see the progress made and also will still need to be done. This also occurred and happened in the developement of the terminal in Bayonne and took time considerable time to play out.

Regards,

:confused: ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

Karie,

The QE2/QM2 will not sail past ANY Manhattan skyline - let alone as in the past up the North River. There will be views of Lower Manhattan from the dock, but no sail past, and not much of a view of Lady Liberty either....

Peter

Who remembers with amusement the time New York proudly proclaimed it had less crime than London (still probably true).....except on one measure......murder!

Archived