Cunard to Leave Manhattan for Brooklyn

cunarder

Here's a link to a lovely feature, about the QM2's arrival in Brooklyn on Saturday, that appeared in yesterday's Daily News.

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/409332p-346376c.html

Cruiserking

What a marvelously positive column (Mike Daly) his is!

Here is a link to Steve's Authentic Key Lime Pies (I have been corresponding with Steve for a number of years- came across him while looking for some information on Key Limes- and yes, I make mine from scratch, squeezing every lime by hand.) Steve is located on Pier 41, Red Hook. though he originally hails from South Florida. If I can afford it after spending my money on the labor day trip, I intend to get one of Steve's authentic Key Lime pies, either on the way to or from the pier. Steve seems to have some positive things to say about Brooklyn and a few links to things to do and see, and other things.

http://www.stevesauthentic.com/localavail.html

I have to figure out how close Pier 41 is to our beloved new Red Hook Pier.

Meantime, if you live in Brooklyn, try one of Steve's pies and tell me if they are any good! I can't wait just to see his authentic panel truck! (See it on the web site!)

Looks like it isn't too far from the pier!

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=204%2BVan%2BDyke%2BStreet,%2B11231&spn=0.030945,0.050228&hl=en

Steve and I have never actually met, nor have I had one of his pies (he and I use the same basic recipe- all real ingredients) but he has written me about his daughter and his pup- a Jack Russell- (Which is probbaly what keeps the truck running! kinetic action!)

Anyway- WAY past time for bed! Thanks for the positive story CruiserKing!

Karie,

who can't wait! (for the pie and the cruise!)

At the risk of riling things!

Here's how one of the NY Post's articles started out! I had to laugh!

It sounded like it might be a few poeple on this board! (composites of course!)

"WELCOME to Broooklyn Passengers.

It seems fitting that the Queen Mary 2 - the massive snob-mover that insists on segregating first class passengers from lowly steerage types- made its inaugural landing in Red hook , Brooklyn, on the 94th anniversary of the day the Titanic sank to the bottom of the Atlantic.

http://www.nypost.com/commentary/64580.htm

Ya gotta have a sensayuma, folks!

Karie,

who has a sense of humor and would have loved to have seen the "full moon" come out to greet us!

P.S. I guess that makes me a snob, since I have been moved by her, and have signed up to be so-moved again! <G>

I'm hoping that someone knows how the QM2 turned into Red Hook. Did she (please excuse my descriptions) turn to port, point her nose at liberty island and then reverse back onto the pier? Or did she turn to starboard, point her bow at Brooklyn and then bring the stern around (clockwise as it were) to to sit alongside the pier? I am crossing later this year and would love to know before then. Someone here must know!

Thanks in advance.

Pepper.

At the risk of riling things!

Here's how one of the NY Post's articles started out! I had to laugh!

It sounded like it might be a few poeple on this board! (composites of course!)

"WELCOME to Broooklyn Passengers.

It seems fitting that the Queen Mary 2 - the massive snob-mover that insists on segregating first class passengers from lowly steerage types- made its inaugural landing in Red hook , Brooklyn, on the 94th anniversary of the day the Titanic sank to the bottom of the Atlantic.

http://www.nypost.com/commentary/64580.htm

Ya gotta have a sensayuma, folks!

<G>

I have a sense of humour, but I don't see why calling the majority of QM2 passengers "lowly steerage types" is in any way, shape or form funny.

It may be a joke to some, but it seems to keep repeating itself over, and over, and over again. If people keep seeing that, I could hardly think they would find the prospect of sailing on QM2 very appealing.

Of course, it might be funny to those who have an interest in the metamorphasis of society into one in which it is only the wealthy professionals who are on top, and all those less monied aristocrats (among others) must be relegated to "steerage".

The Manhattan piers are overcrowded and the piers were too short for the QM2(its rear stuck out into the harbor). The Manhattan piers need to be renovated. Cruising from New York has been increasing at a more than 100% rate. The Brooklyn Pier is not owned by Carnival. Although Carnival has promised to use it. It will get a rebate(per passenger) on the amount paid depending on how many ships use it. NCL gets a similar concession for Manhattan(remember NCL was the first with year around cruising from NY).

Sidney:

According to the Paper of Record, the city plans to recover its investment by 2017 from port fees paid by NCL Corp. and Carnival Corp. For NCL would this be just from Manhattan port fees or is NCL planning on utilizing RH?

Jeannie

....of all the "Carnival/Princess" ships to move to Brooklyn, it could strike some as slightly odd they chose QM2.

If you're paranoid, you might think there's a little underlying "ha, take that you snooty Brits!".

QM2 was sticking out of the Manhattan pier into the Hudson River; Carnival was not about to cut into the Manhattan as was once done to accomodate ocean liners past.

The Manhattan pier is an old barn, a dump basically. The Brooklyn pier is modern and well configured. Yes the neighborhood is run down, but 11th Avenue is no Champs du Elysee either.

Carnival is quite proud of its new pier concession in RH which is quite fitting for the Queens and Crown Princess. The company has respect for British culture and tradition, which is why Carnival allows the Brits to run their company with basically little interference. Captains/Commodore of Cunard speak very highly of their parent company - as the white knight able to stabilize and keep Cunard afloat.

hear, hear, The info on another site is also badly wrong. The info posted on cruise critic is right on and shows many of the areas close by that are interesting, although it leaves out the neighborhood that I live in Boerum Hill.

Its also leaves out the best restuarant in Brooklyn- Peter Lugar's- best steak in NYC...reservations required cash only.

Some of the restuarants listed in CC are actually in Boerum Hill...

some of the ones that aren't that are a good place to eat are Patois(owned by the same people as Snack), the Grocery and Union and Smith Street.

Peter Luger's does take one credit card - its own. Have had one almost 30 years.

Just would like to add that Grocery is one of the Top Rated in the Zaget Guide (at least it was last year).

Then there is La Boullibaise on Columbia Street near to the pier - Carroll Gardens which is on the other side of the BQE from RH.

Today i read all the articles in the papers hear in New York, And boy were they harsh on the QM2 and Brooklyn.

A few headlines, " Unfit for a Queen"

" Hell Queen Mary 2"

"To passengers, just a pass by"

Its said how many passengers were complaining for buses, and no chairs to sit, and how some didnt even know where exaclty was Brooklyn located, some thought it was a bad area connected to Manhattann. And to be honest, the area looks like they area where Eddie Murphy comes to in NY in the Movie Coming to America.

The Headline's as follows: "Fit for a Queen"

"All Hail the Queen."

It was a all around, smashing success.

Some Brits disembarking from QM2 in Brooklyn today---Easter Sunday---were not too happy about it. Their travel arrangements did not materialize, and they said it was as if they didn't exist. They said they would not want to sail into Brooklyn again.

QUOTE]

The tour buses were late. To be expected for the first excursion for a new port. At least the ship arrived on time. You should have seen the bedlam on the new NCL Dawn during its first visit to Port Canaveral - everyone going to the Theme Parks, Cape Canavaral to view the shuttle take off....

There were also lots of smiling, enthusiatic passengers happy to talk to the press.

The ship did not arrive on Easter Sunday, rather Holy Saturday at 3:54 am it passed under the VN.

I dont know about the sites, However, if u can get your hand on a New York Post, its on the next page, In big letters, and The Hell to the Queens, is in the Daily news, which had 3 articles about it.

I purchased those papers as mememtos and the articles are all positive!!

People on the streets of Brooklyn stared in awe as the queen sailed by on her way out to sea. My friend was standing on his front stoop in Windsor Heights, up hill from the Brooklyn waterfront as she sailed by. He rang us up and we ran up stairs to the roof of my friends town house in Bay Ridge to view her. Even though we have seen this ship about 20 times since her maiden year, this was very special.

Unfortunately we could not see anything but fog during arrival. By all accounts, the ship berthed magnificently in all her majestic splendor.

I'm hoping that someone knows how the QM2 turned into Red Hook. Did she (please excuse my descriptions) turn to port, point her nose at liberty island and then reverse back onto the pier? Or did she turn to starboard, point her bow at Brooklyn and then bring the stern around (clockwise as it were) to to sit alongside the pier? I am crossing later this year and would love to know before then. Someone here must know!

Thanks in advance.

Pepper.

Not exactly. In lieu of proceeding northward on Upper New York Bay, the Queen turned starboard moving her bow toward the RH pier, then pivoted/rotated so that she faced back the way she sailed in, and after about an hour proceeded to back into her berth, with her Portside to the Pier/Shore.

Peter Luger's does take one credit card - its own. Have had one almost 30 years.

Just would like to add that Grocery is one of the Top Rated in the Zaget Guide (at least it was last year).

Then there is La Boullibaise on Columbia Street near to the pier - Carroll Gardens which is on the other side of the BQE from RH.

I also have a Peter Lugar's credit card but I thought the chance of someone coming there for the frist time with one was pretty small. They also take regular US checks but I wanted to give people fair warning to bring cash as its rather unusual to not take master card/ visa or american express... Isn't Boulibais in Cobble Hill as if it matters?

Sidney:

According to the Paper of Record, the city plans to recover its investment by 2017 from port fees paid by NCL Corp. and Carnival Corp. For NCL would this be just from Manhattan port fees or is NCL planning on utilizing RH?

Jeannie

So far none of the three ships that NCL uses has announced that they will berth at Red Hook....Maybe when the Gem gets here...

Not exactly. In lieu of proceeding northward on Upper New York Bay, the Queen turned starboard moving her bow toward the RH pier, then pivoted/rotated so that she faced back the way she sailed in, and after about an hour proceeded to back into her berth, with her Portside to the Pier/Shore.

Thanks for this information which confirms the second of my two scenarios outlined in my question. Thank you for taking the time and trouble to answer, most kind.

Pepper.

I also have a Peter Lugar's credit card but I thought the chance of someone coming there for the frist time with one was pretty small. They also take regular US checks but I wanted to give people fair warning to bring cash as its rather unusual to not take master card/ visa or american express... Isn't Boulibais in Cobble Hill as if it matters?

Originally called La Bouillabaisse and located on Atlantic Avenue, Cobble Hill, it has moved to Union and Columbia and is called Bouillabaisse126 in Carrol Gardens. But is the same owner, menu basically.

We went looking for it recentely on Atlantic and could not find it - wound up at Jollie - a nice Bistro.

Is good to give warning about the cash situation and whatever amount you think everything thinks may be sufficient - bring more!

Thanks for this information which confirms the second of my two scenarios outlined in my question. Thank you for taking the time and trouble to answer, most kind.

Pepper.

You're very welcome. I can't wait to actually see this without the fog.

Archived