Poll: Manhattan or Brooklyn?

guernseyguy

Which would you prefer  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you prefer

These choices are usually made to increase profits; and are thought out very well.Bottom line: Cunard uses the new Brooklyn pier and increases profits.Michael

Michael,

You have breathtaking confidence in Management competence - you are right in theory, but the execution frequently falls far short. And if the Management who took this decision also believe 'most passengers are asleep on arrival' I have very little confidence in the rest of their judgement!

Peter

Facts: ... The percentage who are not going to sail becuase of it are even smaller.
Michael,

I agree with your other observations, but the quote above may be inaccurate. It remains to be seen what influence Brooklyn will have on their bookings. There is the silent majority that, as you point out, will not complain about it to the company. But when they are deciding with their wallets where to go on their vacation, a Brooklyn departure may throw someone's decision to some other cruise option or entirely to some other type of vacation.

If someone is going to put up with the hassle of driving into New York City, you might as well realize the benefit of getting the Manhattan skyline sail-by. I can personally attest that it weighed into my decision-making process.

Time will tell whether this was a bad decision or not. At a minimum, it seems like a risky one for Cunard if Brooklyn is permanent.

Paul

Please can someone tell me the address of the dock where the QM2 is coming in from SouthHampton England on May 28th at 7:30AM? I would like to be where passengers who came over with dogs are exiting- if they come out anywhere specific:confused:

~Thanx

Kira

Please can someone tell me the address of the dock where the QM2 is coming in from SouthHampton England on May 28th at 7:30AM? I would like to be where passengers who came over with dogs are exiting- if they come out anywhere specific:confused:

~Thanx

Kira

Kira,

She's a bit difficult to miss......but when I docked on May 4 we were opposite the end of 49th Street....and she will have been in port for well over an hour before you collect your human and canine friends - they will all come out of the same place - but there are two levels - upper, where the scrum for taxis is, and lower, where coaches pick up.

Peter

thank you--

I called Cunard (DOH why didn't I think of that? :p ) and the lady told me Pier 92, 12th Ave between 48th and 52nd Street but I do thank you for this additional info- I did ask do passengers with pets come down any special way and she sounded like I was crazy LOL

OK any specific places to PARK one's car? anyone know the $ to park?:confused: forgive me I am just some Hoboken

Saturday, May 28, 2005 Event Title: Cunard Cruise, Queen Mary 2

Saturday, May 28, 2005

Arrival: 0600

Depart: 1700

Pier 92 Berth 5

I see parking is $22 --all sounds so confusing in writing, probably not as confusing in person

Well, I know most of you here disapprove, but I am happy with the "Brooklyn move". I sent Cunard a letter today expressing my delight that they have abandoned the dumpy NY Passenger Ship Terminal (http://www.nypst.com) and are moving to a new modern facility.

Michael

They better frame it, it'll be the only one they get.

I understand the need for a mordern terminal in NY but when people travel from around the world they don't think of Brooklyn as NYC. Having RCL in NJ and adding Carnival and Princess to Brooklyn is fine for a cruise but not for the tradition of a crossing.

I may not be on a traditional ship for my next crossing but I will be docking where that cruise should end and begin.

QMNY3.jpg.3a9bf0c77c38d0dee67358e2c9ca951e.jpg

Well, if you really want to get technical:

Many ocean liners docked for years in New Jersey (Hoboken... Holland-America & the German liners) and Brooklyn (Moore-McCormack*) as well as Manhattan before the airlines put 'em all out of the passenger business.

Michael

*and these are just the ones I can confirm

Well, if you really want to get technical: Many ocean liners docked for years in New Jersey

And Cunard liners arrived in......Manhattan....originally @14th St (iirc), and now 48th St& up.....by all means, sail into Hoboken on HAL Michael.....;)

Peter

I personally can't wait till ships depart from Brooklyn.... imagine sitting in traffic on the BQE & Baaaaaammmm!!!!!!!!! cruise ship sitting right there in the middle of nowhere!!!!!!! that happens when traveling from the Holland tunnel to the Bayonne bridge..... baaaaaaam Royal Caribbean sittin there!!!!! same concept!!!!! it's gonna be an awesome site to see!!!!!! :)

Matt

I personally can't wait till ships depart from Brooklyn.... imagine sitting in traffic on the BQE & Baaaaaammmm!!!!!!!!! cruise ship sitting right there in the middle of nowhere!!!!!!! that happens when traveling from the Holland tunnel to the Bayonne bridge..... baaaaaaam Royal Caribbean sittin there!!!!! same concept!!!!! it's gonna be an awesome site to see!!!!!! :)

Matt

Indeed, "middle of nowhere" are the shameful, operative words.

Will the move from Manhattan to Brooklyn affect the ship sailing by the Statue of Liberty? Now that would truly be a shame.

sailsalot,

No, the ship will still sail by the Statue of Liberty. What will be missed will be the sail up the Hudson, past Downtown, of Twin Towers memory, the Empire State and Chrysler buildings to dock 5 blocks or so from Times Square...

Peter

• 10 months later...

You can go to Manhattan, get jammed up in traffic, and visit the same stupid mall stores you have at home. Or you can go to Brooklyn, see the REAL New York, eat at great not-overpriced restaurants, see some great music, and have incomparable views of Manhattan, and perhaps learn something about a historic neighborhood that most of its detractors here obviously have never visited and have no clue about other than doing a few Google image searches.

On second thought, perhaps Manhattan would be a better place for you. Most of us live in Brooklyn because we don't have to put up with ignorant loudmouth tourists who flaunt their cluelessness as if it's something to be proud of.

Most of us live in Brooklyn because we don't have to put up with ignorant loudmouth tourists who flaunt their cluelessness as if it's something to be proud of.

Charming! Would you describe the natives as 'friendly'?

Peter

I voted for Brooklyn. Like it or not, Cunard & Carnival will be docking their ships at the Red Hook terminal for the next 11 years.

Local television news in NYC reported some details of the deal over the weekend:

-The contract runs through the year 2017

-Cunard & Carnival will use the Red Hook terminal exclusively

-NYC will be Cunard's exclusive Northeast US port-of-call

-Carnival will pay NYC $200 million in port charges for use of the Red Hook facility

By my math, that works out to over $18 million per year in port charges. If it's that much money to dock in Brooklyn, one can only imagine how much Manhattan port charges would have been!

Cunard/Carnival could have paid considerably more money to dock at a short pier with an outdated terminal in Manhattan, but opted for a shiny new, custom-built facility in Brooklyn, for a fraction of the cost.

It's all about money...

Archived