booze/cigs cheaper on QE2 or in Guernsey?

tattydog

:confused: I am going on the weekend trip, April 29 to May 2nd with dear hub and sister & brother- in- law. They are smokers and were wondering about purchasing cigs on board or in St Peters Port. also have any short trip veterans got any advice for us. :D

thanks! I guess they will be using my allowance then!!!!!

I suppose the channel islands are not considered international waters?

Can you purchase to smoke onboard & then to take off at disembarkation?

I suppose the channel islands are not considered international waters?

Tattydog, from a 'booze n'fags' perspective, the important thing about the Channel Islands is they are not part of the EU - so if you sail to them the ship leaves the EU and can hence sell goods 'Duty Free'. If the ship only sails within the EU, goods cannot be sold 'Duty Free' onboard.

The other thing to bear in mind is that Guernsey does not have VAT - so, for example, adult clothes in M&S are about 14% cheaper than in the UK - and cameras etc can be cheaper than in the UK - though with competition greater in the UK the difference in prices there can be greater than the VAT difference. The Duty Guernsey does impose on 'booze n'fags' is lower than in the UK - but you would need to compare prices with the onboard prices to see where the best deal is.

If you buy goods duty free on the ship they generally deliver them to your cabin on the last night of the cruise.

Enjoy St Peter Port - you will have a great time wandering round the compact, car free, town centre! You can find out more about St Peter Port here:

http://www.guernseytouristboard.com/product/?PageId=7

Peter

Enjoy St Peter Port - you will have a great time wandering round the compact, car free, town centre! You can find out more about St Peter Port here:

http://www.guernseytouristboard.com/product/?PageId=7

Peter

Hello! Just a little curious about why Jersey is not included in the "Channel Islands" on this site?

Hello! Just a little curious about why Jersey is not included in the "Channel Islands" on this site?

The Channel Islands form two separate groups, The Bailiwick of Guernsey (Guernsey, Alderney, Sark, Herm) and Jersey. Liner anchorage is not as easy in Jersey, which is one of the reasons liners call at Guernsey - the other being St Peter Port is a much smaller, prettier town than Jersey's St Helier - which is much more like a pretty-ish English town - bigger, busier & cars.....but then, as you may guess from my name I cannot be relied upon as a completely impartial judge!

Peter

PS - in the interests of fairness to Guernsey's sister:

http://www.jersey.com/

But, no - you won't be able to visit for the day!

The Channel Islands form two separate groups, The Bailiwick of Guernsey (Guernsey, Alderney, Sark, Herm) and Jersey. Liner anchorage is not as easy in Jersey, which is one of the reasons liners call at Guernsey - the other being St Peter Port is a much smaller, prettier town than Jersey's St Helier - which is much more like a pretty-ish English town - bigger, busier & cars.....but then, as you may guess from my name I cannot be relied upon as a completely impartial judge!

Peter

PS - in the interests of fairness to Guernsey's sister:

http://www.jersey.com/

But, no - you won't be able to visit for the day!

I didn't know they were thought of as two seperate groups. I lived in Jersey in the 70's ( when I was a teenager) and my family still lives there now. I do seem to remember a bit of a rivalry between the two though! LOL I have been to Guernsey just for the day on a school outing. I thought it was very pretty-cobblestone streets etc. It has been over 25 years since I have been there so I'm sure a lot has changed!! (Jersey I mean) It was a bit too small for me so I came home to Canada. Thank you for the site, I will have to see if I remember most of it. Have a great day!:)

Thanks Peter. We have sailed on Royal caribbean before but its our first time on Cunard (brother in law's birthday treat). As Guernsey is our only port of call, can you recommend the best things to visit/do? We like to wander round but not necessarily the Tourist traps. Lesley

Tattydog - it really depends on what you want to do & what the weather is like - have a look at the Tourist information website further up the thread - there are Museums, a Castle, pleasant gardens - all in town - and lovely sandy beaches on the West Coast. Just wandering round town & having a leisurely lunch would not be a bad place to start!

Peter

Archived