Passports-Hot off the press

CINDON

Passportheading.gif

The U.S. Government is proposing provisions to the Intelligence Reform Bill, passed last December, which requires that the current Western Hemisphere passport exemptions be phased out. That means the new passport rules for all U.S. citizens and other travelers coming to and leaving the United States will be put in place. The proposed rules will be phased in as follows:

December 31, 2005 – Passports required for all air and sea travel to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, and Central and South America.

December 31, 2006 – Passports required for all air and sea travel to and from Canada and Mexico.

December 31, 2007 – Passports or other accepted travel documents required for land border crossings to and from Canada or Mexico.

The proposed rules for the different phase-in dates will be finalized over the coming months, but regardless of the timeframe, by January 1, 2008, all Americans departing and returning to the United States will be required to have a valid U.S. passport. This will undoubtedly cause a backlog in getting passports as these rules take effect. For information on obtaining or renewing a passport, visit the State Department’s Web site at http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html.

When talking to your clients:

• Reiterate that they should avoid the rush and the possibility of not being able to travel where they wish without a passport.
  • Remind clients booking 2006 travel to the Caribbean, Bermuda, and Central and South America will require a passport to re-enter the U.S.
  • Inform them that a passport can open the doors to travel they may not have considered before, such as cruising in Europe, Australia and Asia. (This also opens the door for a CLIA agent to recommend a new vacation option)
  • Remind them that passports are valid for ten years and if they are repeat cruisers or frequent travelers, the initial price of that passport ($97 for a new passport and $67 for a renewal) is amortized over time. If they take two vacations per year the cost of the passport per vacation is less than a frozen drink with an umbrella at the pool.

And finally, a passport is easy to obtain by visiting one of the 6,000 passport acceptance facilities across the U.S. For more information about applying for a passport, U.S. citizens may visit www.travel.state.gov or call the National Passport Information Center toll free at 1-877-487-2778 or TDD/TYY: 1-888-874-7793. Foreign Nationals should contact their respective governments to obtain passports.

Not exactly hot off the press, since this was anounced more than a week ago.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=160410

But it certainly deserves to be repeated so people aren't blind sided.

Note that for some cruisers the passports may be required (the text indicates the dates are currently proposed rather than adopted) at the end of this year.

December 31, 2005

I don't know why they are starting Dec 31 rather than January 1 - that will probably trip some people up.

Makes you wonder why simple Intelligence Reform changes require more than two years to be fully implemented when it takes only about three/four weeks to secure a passport. Reminds me of when some government agency declares a product dangerous to the masses and then allows three years for that product to be taken off the shelves. Bureaucracy at it finest!

lysolqn, I think it is because there are humans involved.

The timeline is rather generous, but I'm sure there will be plenty of people who wait until November of whatever year they need their passport, then complain about the high cost of expediting. I'm a little surprised it has taken this long for the US Govt. to enact these requirements. I do know the last year when we sailed out of Vancouver, BC, they officials there wanted to see passports for all US individuals.

So, if you are aware of the new requirements and do not yet have a passport, apply in the near future, get it done NOW. If you have several people, do them one at a time to spread the cost out.

I have a son who will be turning 18 next May. I have promised to take him on a cruise next summer as a graduation gift (actually it's a bribe to get him to stay in school!). My question is, should we get his passport now (as a juvenile) or wait until he turns 18. We're only going to Alaska or Mexico.

Thanks,

Karenlynne

KarenLynne, See above, you have until December 31, 2006...this is what I mean about the confusion part. If you plan on any more travel, go ahead and get the passports. Because your son is over 16, his passport will be good for 10 years. It's so much easier to travel with a passport, even to Canada or Mexico.

I have a son who will be turning 18 next May. I have promised to take him on a cruise next summer as a graduation gift (actually it's a bribe to get him to stay in school!). My question is' date=' should we get his passport now (as a juvenile) or wait until he turns 18. We're only going to Alaska or Mexico.

[/quote']

If he is 16 or 17, it doesn't make much difference. I'm not sure if by next May and next summer you mean 2005 or 2006. If you mean 2005, then starting now will leave more time in case there is some delay.

For those 16 or older, the passport term is 10 years. 15 and under, it has to be renewed after 5 years. For someone about to turn 16, it would make sense to wait.

The state department passport information is here:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

Archived