Portsmouth: tours from dockside or pre-booked?

kruzseeka

We have visited Dominica before berthing at Roseau but have just discoverd that we are berthing in Portsmouth on our forthcoming trip. I would really appreciate any advice on Portsmouth (I suspect it's a place to take an excursion).

Are there any tours available to pick up dock-side?

What tour itineraries are recommended from Portsmouth?

Would it be better to book ahead? In which case any recommendations of tour operators?

I have done a search on this forum but tour firms I found seemed to be operating out of Roseau.

Any tips/advice would be gratefully received! :)

going out on 25th march for 2 weeks with the wife and friends,just wondering if you have done tortola and if so is it possible in the time we are there to visit marina cay.

also do you have any info on margarita island thanks,paul

We did Margarita Island last year. There is a small beach with shallow waters just by the dock and a beach bar but not a lot else but a lot of people swimming here.

http://www.margaritasun.com/port/

We did an island tour which was quite interesting but I wasn't wildly impressed (to be fair the coach broke down so we did have problems) but I wouldn't especially recommend it - but it was ok.

Tortola is a fabulous island - we went on the Thomson tour to Pusser's Landing which is very pretty (is that where Marina Cay is?) I guess you would be able to pick up local taxis from the port - according to what I can find out Dream may be the only ship in that day so not too much pressure on taxis. (Port info can be inaccurate though so don't rely on it!). The second time we went we picked up a local mini-bus to Cane Garden Beach which was fab. $6 each way. I've read great reports on Virgin Gorda Baths - I think you can get ferries from the port - but Thomson do a trip. Perhaps if you Google 'Tortola' and find some links to local taxis/tours you mght be able to find how much and how far it is to get to Marina Cay.

Archived