Now worried about the water...

Rainbowfalls

My boyfriend has decided to tell me all about the horrors of the ocean and all the evil fishes in the water.

My question from those who have been to the bahamas and swam in the waters have you ever saw a rock fish, lion fish, barracuda and the likes near the shore specially of junkanoo beach??

I know it's probably silly to be so worried just I have had an problem in the past when I was in florida that caused extreme pain and discomfort. which I never found out what it was that got me but it was these small little clear pin looking things that even the lifeguard who said he had 15 years experience said he never saw before, totally felt like i had fiberglass burried in my skin it itched, burned caused welts totally wasnt' fun. :( But that's why i am a tad concerned...sorry for the long story lol.

not to worry. I got into a bunch of sea urchins once and that sounds like what you had. Try not to get too close where you touch them. they get right into you and you cant get them out.

We have seen lion fish, lots of barracuda and large tarpon,not in nassau though. The lion fish are very slow and not aggressive at all, just pretty to look at. We are always startled when we see a barracuda at first. When we realize what it is we dont mind at all. They are scary to look at but are very afraid of you and will swim away fast.

Have fun.

not to worry. I got into a bunch of sea urchins once and that sounds like what you had. Try not to get too close where you touch them. they get right into you and you cant get them out.

We have seen lion fish, lots of barracuda and large tarpon,not in nassau though. The lion fish are very slow and not aggressive at all, just pretty to look at. We are always startled when we see a barracuda at first. When we realize what it is we dont mind at all. They are scary to look at but are very afraid of you and will swim away fast.

Have fun.

thank you! :) I spent forever trying to figure out what it was I heard things from jelly fish to other types of fish but none seemed to give those types of symptoms.

I would love to see a lion fish though not up close lol, and i have seen barracuda at the aquarium and they are so scary

I mostly am just afraid of stepping on a rock fish since I read a blog that someone had found one in the bahamas feet away from the shore where a bunch of people were playing :eek: and now i am so afraid of being the unlucky one to step on one.

• 2 weeks later...

All of the fish you mentioned can be found anywhere in the Caribbean. Rockfish are likely to be on the bottom. As mentioned before lionfish are very slow. As for Barracuda, just remove all jewelry and make sure you do not have anything on you that is shiny (they see this as the tiny silvery fish they eat).

A general rule when snorkeling/diving is, if its very pretty or very ugly , it is likely to make you sick if you get bit/stung.

I have been diving and snorkeling for years and the only thing that I am afraid of is Jellyfish and Man of War. Easy remedy for that is to wear a rash guard/dive skin.

Archived