Anyone cruising Thanksgiving week

Six of us -- my partner, his parents, my parents, and I -- are sailing the Millennium transatlantic from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale. Thanksgiving is scheduled to be a sea day between Malaga and the Canary Islands. Does anybody know if they typically serve a traditional Thanksgiving dinner that day?

Partner and I on Coral Princess 10 day sailing out of Fort Lauderdale departing on thanksgiving day. Should cut down drastically on the number of kids on this sailing. Have been on two 7 day cruises the past two thanksgiving holidays and the number of kids has been truly astounding :eek: :mad: .....not the well behaved variety either!!! Hopefully, since this cruise spans the week following the holiday, the kiddies will be busy in school..........

Hi Guys,

Well unfortunately due to vacation days left it looks like I will have to deal with sailing on Thanksgiving week. I have not made any decisions yet regarding cruises, but it will be a 7 day Caribbean cruise during Thanksgiving week.

Anyone thinking of doing something like that.....

Curtis

We have cruised many times but this will be our first cruise during Thanksgiving week and sailing Princess Cruise Line.

We will be doing the Mexican Rivera

Departs: San Francisico November 20th for 12 days.

Let us know what you planned...hope to see you there!!!

-V26

Faygelah,(love your code name)

FYI.....If the ship you are on is marketed to Americans, there will be a Thanksgiving dinner. We have had them in Europe, Africa, the south pacific and most recently (2003) in Sydney, Au. BUT I must admit, none of them were very good (my opinion) so I order something else. We try to go on a cruise around Thanksgiving every year because we got tired of doing dinners for family and friends for 20 straight years. Only once, did anyone invite us for Thanksgiving dinner...and that was like pulling teeth. And we ended up bringing half the dinner anyway. So now you know why we like to be on a cruise during this holiday, but haven't planned anything for this year, yet.

J & K

We did a trip last year at Thanksgiving and my mother is still pissed at us, never again. But we are going to miss her birthday and mother's day this year.

We never learn..........

I was thinking of taking the Star Princess over Thanksgiving too, but reading this thread has given me pause. Will the ship be over-run by children, and will this make for a less gay-friendly environment?

I don't mind straight folks as long as they don't flaunt their sexuality..... ;)

Sensasianal,

Hi, well I can tell you that Princess is pretty good when it comes to children. I have been on several Princess cruises and if you want to get away from kids on the Star Princess like the Golden and the Grand they have a beautiful adult pool in the back of the ship under the disco which looks like a spoiler. We spent most of our time there, it's quiet and a beautiful view from the stern. In addition we always take alternative dinning seating, so we can go to the restaurant whenever we want with whomever we want, we usually go later, people with children usually eat at the assigned time restaurant and early seating. Princess also have a great kids program so even if there are alot of kids, they are usually enrolled in the programs and you don't see them around to often.

Hope this has helped you. We are booked.....

For years I sailed that week...it was fabulous. I found fellow passengers to be people that either chose to avoid the family big dinner at home, empty nesters, singles and gay people.

Then cruise lines started catering to families....and holiday get aways when the kids are off from school. My last Thanksgiving cruise was a few years ago on Celebrity......there were over 800 kids under the age of 12 on board. Its was not pleasant. Add to this air travel that week is pure misery. So I have switched to the first week in Dec (around Dec 5), school is back in session, ports are less crowded and cruise lines seem to have lower rates because many people will not spend money that close to the holidays.

By the way, I am not anti kids....but parents seem to forget their responsibilities as parents when on vacation.

So you will find me sailing in December again this year, I miss the Thanksgiving escape from the holiday...withy the many emotional strings it has for me, but knowing I am sailing a week later gets me through.....

To those sailing on the Holiday...bon Voyage and best wishes for a fabulous time!

You might want to consider going a little upscale. I did a Thanksgiving cruise on the Radisson Voyager a couple years ago and had a great time, with only 2-3 kids on board. We had a big group from these boards along - about 15 FOD in the group. And the food was superb!

Curtis - My partner and I are crusing on Silver Whisper that week. Great Western Caribbean itinerary out of Ft. Lauderdale on Nov. 21. Not likely to be many (if any) rugrats on this cruise - Silversea does not cater to kids at all and gets almost none. Ian (Xander) just posted that he and his partner are on this cruise as well. Join us. Cheers, Fred

My partner and I and another couple are going on a 2 week cruise to Hawaii departing Nov 20 from San Diego on Celebrity.

We will be celebrating our 25th Anniversary during the cruise.

Since this is a 2 week cruise, I hope the children population will be low.

However nice 18 yo bodybuilder children are acceptable. I can only hope!!!

Looking forward to the cruise.

• 1 month later...

We will be cruising from Ft. Lauderdale to Eastern Caribbean over thanksgiving week. My fiance and I are getting married, so family is coming, and his sister and her partner will be on board. Hopefully we can get some others in the community to make them feel more comfortable. I think this is their first 'big' vacation together other than small weekend trips to trendy, typical gay friendly places. Anyone going or interested in going, email me at agr8rn1@netzero.com. We actually have a few cabins left from our wedding group. Thanks. Amanda :o)

Caribbean Princess 11/05

Voyager of Seas 9/05

Carnival Fascination 04

Carnival Destiny 03

Norwegian Sea 03

Imperial Majesty 01

• 3 months later...

Archived