Victory~Conquest~Miracle ? ? ? ?

Dennislee2

I have narrowed it down, but could use advice. Or opinions!

We are taking my parents on their first cruise and I was told to do the Western, they would enjoy the tours/excursions more on the West. They are not overly active with water activities. There will be 3 couples, ages from 36 to 70 and one teenager. My DW and I cruised the Victory 5 years ago on the Eastern and absolutly loved it! We had a balcony and said we would never cruise without one and plan to get a balcony for my parents.

I'm concerned about the Victory's age at this point. But, I do like the mixture of ports.

I have heard great things about the Miracle, but concerned that 3 stops are all Mexico. Are the ports different enough not to worry about that?

I also like the Conquest leaving out of New Orleans, closer to drive. Also, I like the mixture of ports on this one. Concerned about the first several days at sea. Not sure for those that have not sailed before, does it take a bit to get their sea legs?

As you can see, I feel closer to picking the cruise, but yet, far away from knowing what to pick. I'll take any suggestions, ideas, excursions, etc. that might help.

The three requests from the "group" are great snorkleing, seeing Myan ruins and from the teenager, blue water with beaches! I'm sure he didn't want to tell his uncle "Girls also", but I think all three come together!

Thanks in advance....

We thought Victory was in very good shape last year and really enjoyed our cruise. Except for a burned-out light on our balcony, our cabin was great! We thought about Victory again for this year's trip, but really wanted to try another ship (and DH really wanted to go to New Orleans) - hence Conquest. We're hoping to do the Black River Safari in Jamaica (Conquest stops in Montego Bay), Stingray City in Grand Cayman (booked on one of Captain Bryan's catamarans), and golf/Paradise Beach/shopping in Cozumel. The Ports of Call Board has details on a number of excursions and beaches in each of the ports.

We decided (reluctantly) that Conquest probably is not the best cruise for a Mayan ruins trip; Tulum takes a full day in Cozumel with a lot of travel, and we thought our younger sons wouldn't enjoy it as much as they would beach time and miniature golf. I'm not sure about Miracle's itinerary, but it sounds like it would be easier to do a Mayan excursion.

Hope this helps!

My husband, 13 yr old son and I sailed the Conquest out of NO on her first 7 day sailing. I'm quite prone to motion sickness and was not bothered, it's big! 110,000 tons I believe. I LOVED JAMAICA, we toured Rose Hall Great House, (supposedly haunted) beautiful view from the front porch. I was surprised how big the balcony room was and how BIG the shower was. I have very fond memories of this our first cruise. I am thisclose to booking her again for October 30th, same itinerary, but we can do different things. We swam with the stingrays in Grand Cayman, and snorkled in Cozumel, (not my favorite thing, (but it was only 6 months after a full knee replacement)! Personally, I like the newer ships.

Dennislee2--I've been on Victory, and Spirit & Conquest Class ships (Spirit/Glory). If I was traveling with my parents, I would choose Miracle out of Tampa. Halfway point travel distance of the 3 ports your're considering; I think the layout of the Miracle is the easiest to navigate which is a bonus for seniors, and Tampa is a really nice sailaway port.

I don't think you can make a 'bad' choice out of your three!!

Enjoy your planning.

I don't think you can make a 'bad' choice out of your three!!

Enjoy your planning.

I would agree! All three won't be a bad choice. I did alot of researching last night and we are leaning toward the Miracle. Looks to offer the better Myan ruin tours out of Belize. Actually, I was surprised, Belize sounds like an awesome place to do some diving/snorkeling and the tours. Something for everyone in the group. I found a great deal on Victory for January, so I'm going to see if we can find a great deal for Miracle.

I also thought for everyone in the group, for the first cruise, it would be an extra day in port in case of the motion sickness.

Now to decide what rooms on Miracle!!!!!

If you liked your balcony on the Victory, go up a notch and try booking an aft wraparound balcony. I hear they are 60 ft long! I will find out in 26 days, on the Miracles Sister ship.

If not, why not try a regular aft balcony?

We took a chance last year on the Miracle, and booked an 8A gty, knowing the worst we would have would be a balcony on deck 4. We ended up with a balcony on deck 8!

BTW, we liked the Spirit class ship over the Victory. It's a different layout altogether, and quite functional (IMO).

If you liked your balcony on the Victory, go up a notch and try booking an aft wraparound balcony. I hear they are 60 ft long! I will find out in 26 days, on the Miracles Sister ship.

If not, why not try a regular aft balcony?

I've heard the middle of the ship has the least motion. How much difference is there from aft or end of ship vs. middle? We were center of the Victory on Upper deck.

BTW, we liked the Spirit class ship over the Victory. It's a different layout altogether, and quite functional (IMO).

Should I assume the Miracle is a Spirit Class? The Victory was our only cruise and I loved the layout, never felt crowded and I want the other first timers in our group to have that same wonderful experience.

Miracle is a Spirit class. She's beautiful - had a wonderful view of her docking in NYC last summer as we were waiting to disembark Victory. We were on Panorama Deck (deck 10) on Victory - no motion problems at all, unless you count the motion we felt after our cruise!

How much difference is there from aft or end of ship vs. middle?
There is an ever so slight sway back there.

Should I assume the Miracle is a Spirit Class?

Yes. The Miracle is smaller by about 15,000 gw tons. More double cabins, so less people as well. Rear pool is open, not closed it. 2 middle pools, no "steppes".

2 decks of Promenades, and an outside promenade that goes all the way around the back of the ship.

We were on the Conquest last February and will be on the Miracle next February. We loved the Conquest. If you do choose her, please spend some time in New Orleans. It is a very interesting and historical city and it would be a shame to fly in get on the ship, get off the ship and fly out.

I emailed the TA this evening to get final prices on the Miracle sailing for August 2006. As I stated earlier, we have done the Victory, so I wouldn't mind doing another ship.

Also, I like newer ships vs. older ships and I like the 4 ports of the Miracle. The 7 of us that are going I think will have more fun with one less sea day and one more port for more activities and more sites to see.

I agree with Sea Turtle, I don't think you could go wrong with any of the three. The downside, yup, a downside to cruising is the wait! I can't believe it will be over a year. We thought about going soon, but it works better for everyone's schedule to push it off.

Wow, over a year of me on these boards... *grins*

I've taken the Conquest cruise (wonderful vessel) and will soon take the Miracle over the summer.

I agree with the advice from some of the previous posters. Doing a Mayan ruin tour out of Cozumel is extremely time consuming. It literally takes the entire time you are in port.

You can do ruins tours in Belize and Costa Maya on the Miracle. Neither one will take the full time in port.

One other bit of information on the Conquest - it was a challenge to navigate. The two sea days really do give you time to get to know the ship.

I've always tried to select cabins mid-ship. You feel less movement. On the Conquest I could barely feel the ship move. She's really huge. The Miracle is not that much smaller.

Good luck!

Archived