Agadir - Organised trip advise

We did the Massa 4x4 Jeep trip from Agadir and had a superb day out in a lovely Toyota Landcruiser, with not too bumpy a ride.

We drove through the city and out into the countryside and had a stop at an Argan oil shop, no pressure to buy though, then carried on off road into the sand dunes in the foothills of the Atlas mountains where we stopped for a short walk through the dunes.

Then we went to the Massa dam for a photo stop and a local man appeared with his teapot and served us mint tea, nuts and biscuits. (Our guide advised us he would be happy with €1 tip).

From there we went to a Berber village for a little music and dancing and a lovely freshly cooked meal of bread with butter and honey, chicken skewers, chicken and lemon tagine, vegetable tagine, fresh oranges, wine and water. Beer and a digestif were extra.

After lunch we stopped at a little fishing village where some young men had a jewellery stall and camels to ride, again there was no hassle.

Then we drove back along the cliff top and returned to Agadir and the ship.

All the locals we met were very welcoming and friendly and I would recommend this trip. We tipped the restaurant staff and they gave us extra oranges!

We had one man with us who had had a stroke and used a stick and a wheelchair and he coped with all but the walk through the sand so it wasn't an arduous day out at all.

Carol x

Advice wanted on which trip to go on - is the jeep safari any good? Or does someone recommend a different one.

We did a jeep safari from Marmaris which was great fun - hoping to do one in Mykonos this year too!

We took the 1/2 day Taradount trip from Agadir (there wasn't a jeep trip when we went!) It was a lovely trip - about 1 1/2 hours drive (from memory) to Taradount (supposed to be a mini Marrakech) took us to a hotel for drinks then on into the Souks with a guide (felt very safe with him - would not have gone in alone!) Although we had already been to Turkey & Tunisia, I'm glad we did this trip - it was like stepping back in time to see all the shops and how they live there. The guide was very knowledgable and told us lots of interesting things too.

We did the Massa 4x4 Jeep trip from Agadir and had a superb day out in a lovely Toyota Landcruiser, with not too bumpy a ride.

We drove through the city and out into the countryside and had a stop at an Argan oil shop, no pressure to buy though, then carried on off road into the sand dunes in the foothills of the Atlas mountains where we stopped for a short walk through the dunes.

Then we went to the Massa dam for a photo stop and a local man appeared with his teapot and served us mint tea, nuts and biscuits. (Our guide advised us he would be happy with €1 tip).

From there we went to a Berber village for a little music and dancing and a lovely freshly cooked meal of bread with butter and honey, chicken skewers, chicken and lemon tagine, vegetable tagine, fresh oranges, wine and water. Beer and a digestif were extra.

After lunch we stopped at a little fishing village where some young men had a jewellery stall and camels to ride, again there was no hassle.

Then we drove back along the cliff top and returned to Agadir and the ship.

All the locals we met were very welcoming and friendly and I would recommend this trip. We tipped the restaurant staff and they gave us extra oranges!

We had one man with us who had had a stroke and used a stick and a wheelchair and he coped with all but the walk through the sand so it wasn't an arduous day out at all.

Carol x

Would shorts and t-shirt be correct attire for this trip??

Also was the Argan oil genuine and was it reasonably priced?

I wore trousers, T-shirt and cardigan as it wasn't that hot. Paul wore T-shirt and shorts.

We were shown the argan nuts and given a brief description of how they are ground to produce the oil. I bought some handcream for €5 and a scarf for €6. He also had some woollen coats but wouldn't come down in price enough for Paul! The argan trees grow wild and you will see them on your travels.

Our friends did the same trip the following week and weren't taken to this shop: it is on the left end of the row where you stop at a cafe for the toilet before you head into the hills.

Carol x

Would shorts and t-shirt be correct attire for this trip??

Also was the Argan oil genuine and was it reasonably priced?

Just a word of warning! Don't know what the off-roading is like in Morrocco but when we did the jeep safari in Turkey we came back absolutely covered from head to foot in dust so don't wear your best clothes or take your best bags - our rucksacks with swim stuff etc in were also very dusty!!!

We did this trip in January 2011. I have been on numerous Thomson excursions on five different cruises and this was one of the best if not the best excursion we have been on. It is much less touristy and you get to go into the interior of Morrocco. There are no roads but it is rocky more than dusty. We had a fabulous guide whose name sadly escapes me but she was great. It is a poor country but they are a proud and friendly people and are proud of their religious tolerance. My advice is to go on the trip - you will love it.

Just a word of warning! Don't know what the off-roading is like in Morrocco but when we did the jeep safari in Turkey we came back absolutely covered from head to foot in dust so don't wear your best clothes or take your best bags - our rucksacks with swim stuff etc in were also very dusty!!!

The vehicles used are closed Toyota Landcruisers so this is not a problem at all. I know what you mean as we had a similar experience in Portugal and I had to throw my white top away. I purposely wore dark coloured clothes in Agadir but I needn't have worried.

Our guide was an older guy called Ahmed who liked to gather all the ladies round him and ask the men how many camels they would offer him for us, quite a character!

It was a really lovely day out from all aspects.

Carol x

Archived