Cruise to Canada in June-what do you think?

kirby123

Have been to East/West/Southern Carribean, Bahamas, Alaska and Hawaii. Looking at the June schedule for the Glory out of Boston to Canada. What do you think if you have been there? Just looking for something different, price is right and flights are cheaper.

Have been to East/West/Southern Carribean, Bahamas, Alaska and Hawaii. Looking at the June schedule for the Glory out of Boston to Canada. What do you think if you have been there? Just looking for something different, price is right and flights are cheaper.

We are going on the June 3 ---7day cruise on the Glory from Boston. We have been on the Glory several times(real nice ship) and can drive to Boston . Went on rccl a few years ago to Canada and had a nice time,Looking forward to the Glory cruise.

We've done this itinerary out of NY 3 times; most recent one was last year on the Glory; a beautiful ship. I really like this itinerary--differerent from hot weather/beaches ports, but in a good way. St John & Halifax are very nice stops. Super nice people and, as the previous poster said, lots to see and do.

We did the 5 night itinerary in june. Very enjoyable cruise, and a different change of pace from Carnival's bread and butter of Caribbean cruises. Most activities were indoors, fellow cruisers seemed to be more sedated.

BUT, be warned, it can be cold and foggy! When we sailed, the temperature in NYC was in the 70's, days at sea were in the 50's, and port days (Halifax and St. John) were in the 40's. It was rainy most of the time, and on the return, it was so foggy that we couldn't even see the lifeboats hanging a few decks below us.

Fog and sea conditions were such an issue that we couldnt' dock back in NYC until 2pm upon our return.

Definitely go on this cruise, but understand that it's NOT a Caribbean cruise.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Halifax is amazing! However, next time we go to St. John's we will only get off to get the moose poop, nothing much else there to do. Fun cruise.

kirby123, I was in Halifax this morning.... It was cool, just below freezing.... (I live about an hour outside of the city of Halifax). :p

Seriously though, Halifax in June is beautiful.... just like all of this wonderful province (Nova Scotia).... The flowers will be blooming, the temps will be low to mid 20's (CELCIUS) - no need for snow suits...

(see you in San Juan, 3 months from tomorrow.... I see we will be on the Victory on the same sailing...)

We did this cruise in June 2010. Loved it! Both days in port were beautiful,can't remember the temps but they were perfect. We had fog the last two nights and some rain the last sea day but,we still had a great time.

Halifax and St.Johns are beautiful towns and we kept busy both days.

We are doing a 4 day (St.Johns) this coming June,this time with our boys.

If you go,take warm and cool weather clothes plus some rainwear.

Halifax is amazing! However, next time we go to St. John's we will only get off to get the moose poop, nothing much else there to do. Fun cruise.

in st. johns we did the reversing falls "dry" boat tour and then with the same company we had also booked their other which is the jet boat ride. what a blast.. even got the tshirt to say we survived lol. and you WILL get wet. one girl was smart, she went naked under the "rain set" pants and top they give you. we just decided not to bring extra clothes.. boy we should have. lol

we then had lunch at one of the outside bars (yeah dumb we can see the ship and free food lol) but i finally got to try fried dill pickles! lol

www.jetboatrides.com

For some reason, this Canada cruise run is different from all our other cruises.

They seem "off", and I can never put my finger on it. Even having John Heald as our cruise director didn't change things.

But they are OK for quick short getaways.

I understand, and experienced, better weather the later in the season.

Be prepared to pack for two seasons.

We enjoyed both Halifax and Saint John.

we then had lunch at one of the outside bars (yeah dumb we can see the ship and free food lol) but i finally got to try fried dill pickles! lol

Yeah, the food is "free" on the ship, but the seafood in both Saint John and Halifax is wonderful. There are ports where we go back to the ship for lunch (like Grand cayman - expensive and nothing special), but we love having lunch in port on the Canada run.

As for the cruise itself - we've sailed as early as end of June and as late as Labor Day weekend. Both Labor Day cruises were impacted by storms - Tropical Storm Eduardo in 2006, Hurricane Earl in 2010. On the late June cruise (our first cruise in 2004), the seas were very smooth but we did have fog, particularly at night. Last year (week of July 4) we also had a lot of fog. Then on our two August cruises, no fog. As Pete said above, just be prepared for differing weather conditions - one day it can be sunny and warm, next day cloudy and cool.

We have a July 1 cruise booked out of Baltimore, but I'm seriously thinking about an early August cruise to Canada - again.:)

Yeah, the food is "free" on the ship, but the seafood in both Saint John and Halifax is wonderful. There are ports where we go back to the ship for lunch (like Grand cayman - expensive and nothing special), but we love having lunch in port on the Canada run.

As for the cruise itself - we've sailed as early as end of June and as late as Labor Day weekend. Both Labor Day cruises were impacted by storms - Tropical Storm Eduardo in 2006, Hurricane Earl in 2010. On the late June cruise (our first cruise in 2004), the seas were very smooth but we did have fog, particularly at night. Last year (week of July 4) we also had a lot of fog. Then on our two August cruises, no fog. As Pete said above, just be prepared for differing weather conditions - one day it can be sunny and warm, next day cloudy and cool.

We have a July 1 cruise booked out of Baltimore, but I'm seriously thinking about an early August cruise to Canada - again.:)

Hi Kathy,

I was on the fantasy with you last year. We did the slot tourney and meet and greet. Are you going on the pride? If so I live half hour from the port and can answer any questions you may have about the area (never been on the ship though). We are considering the Glory in August. Perhaps you can share your experience.

Hi Kathy,

I was on the fantasy with you last year. We did the slot tourney and meet and greet. Are you going on the pride? If so I live half hour from the port and can answer any questions you may have about the area (never been on the ship though). We are considering the Glory in August. Perhaps you can share your experience.

Hi Mary! Yes, we are sailing on Pride. We're hoping to take a day or two before the cruise to do some exploring - DH wants to go to the B&O Museum and I'd like to take the kids to the Inner Harbor.

We actually started talking about booking a cruise on Glory in August. I love the Canada cruises. They're very different from Caribbean cruises weather-wise, but you'll find all the usual Carnival activities. Sometimes they have to move activities indoors instead of the Lido deck (on our first cruise the Hairy Chest contest was in the main lounge). Here's a link to our most recent Canada cruise: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1442719.

and i DID have seafood lol. well, what i like to eat which is the fish and it was very good!

• 3 months later...
I live in the beautiful city of Saint John and visit Halifax often... if anyone is looking into booking this cruise or already has, and has questions, I'd be more than happy to help out and offer suggestions from a local's point of view! :)

Hi Acesllyelton,

Are there any whale watching excersions offered in Saint John in June ? Would love to do that, but don't want to drive an hour away to catch a tour.

Thanks a bunch

Archived