St John Tour

Karencruiser43

Always gone on my own. Take a taxi to Red Hook take the ferry over and take a taxi to Trunk Bay. Spend a few hours, take the taxi back to the ferry, back to red hook and back to the ship. Go to and from Red Hook because the ferry runs every hour. Cheaper usually than the tour. One con is that you better make sure you are back for the ship leaving. On a tour thru the ship, they will wait for you. Pro is that you can go at your speed, no waiting for the group. St. John is so beautiful, totally worth the money and time to go over for the day. You won't be disappointed.

Has anybody recently done the 6 and a half hour St John Tour on St Thomas through the cruise line, if so, any pro or cons information would be a great help. Leaving soon. Thanks to anybody who can help. Appreciate it.

We just did the St John shopping tour via the CL off Oasis. It was great....we just did it as transport to St John....we had done the St John on your own excursion before but it's only 4.5 hrs and we found we didn't have enough time in St John. This time we choose the shopping tour because it give you an extra 1.5hrs....they do not care if you due the shopping part of the excursion or not....it's only 15 minutes long anyways....as soon as we got to St John they told us if we wanted to head straight to a beach we can do so...there were taxi's waiting and we jumped in one off to Trunk Bay....it was a GREAT day....we spent about 2 hrs at Trunk Bay and then headed back to Mongoose Junction and walked around...ate, browsed some shops and had a couple drinks....very nice and relaxing...on the way back on the boat they have rum punches free of charge.....would do it again in a heartbeat.

I've never been to st. thomas, but going on the allure in may, is st. john a better port than st. thomas, which one should we go to st. thomas or st. john, which one did yall feel was better. we like island tours, clear pretty beaches and just browsing around - thanks

Trunk Bay at St.John is very nice... We have gone on our own too, however, I think next time I would take the excursion. The taxi - ferry - taxi - beach - taxi - ferry - taxi - is a bit of a hassle and was much more expensive then what I was expecting... take lots of cash, so you can pay the taxi and make it back to the ship !. We had a group of 6 and the taxi's didn't give a break for kids, so I don't remember for sure, but I think the taxis and ferries were about $250 total. Probably cheaper than the excursion bit still seemed really expensive to me. I think each of the 4 taxi rides was $60.

I've never been to st. thomas, but going on the allure in may, is st. john a better port than st. thomas, which one should we go to st. thomas or st. john, which one did yall feel was better. we like island tours, clear pretty beaches and just browsing around - thanks

Definitely recommend going to lovely St. John, for some of the world's most beautiful beaches. Over 60% of St. John is national park, thanks to the Rockefeller family. I've been there a couple of times while on cruises, but actually fell in love with this island during a three week stay back in the late 70s.

Thanks for your replies, I think I would be a little stressed about missing the ship, so thinking I may do the excursion through the cruise ship. So you can split up your day with going to the beach for a couple of hours and shopping for a couple of hours?

Booking an excursion through the ship (particularly your first time to St. John), is a good idea. Plan to take the earliest that is offered, and depending on your arrival back to St. Thomas, you should have time to shop. We've gone to SJ early on our own and returned with enough time to go into Charlotte Amalie to browse. Enjoy!

We did this excursion thru the cruise line; Celebrity Silhouette 12/29/11. It included transportation to and from St John and a guided walking tour than 3 hours of free time. St John is beautiful but the ride over was very uncomfortable (30 min). We sat on metal seats that house the life vest out in the open sun. The seats were hot. The boat was old and dingy looking. The asked you to sign a roaster which was really a waiver form. On the way over the captain did talk about some of the sites we were passing which was nice. Once there the walking tour was about 15 minutes, just walked around small town (not much to see). Than we took a taxi to trunk bay, the driver was a great guide, he stopped several times for us to take pictures. Loved trunk bay but the tides were high so we had about 45 min before there was no beach to lay on. I think because of the high tides we did not have to pay to enter trunk bay. We took a taxi back to the port (it was private) and took the boat back. this time we sat in the inside, no air on hard wood seats. They served rum punch. They asked for each person to tip them $5. I too was afraid of missing the ship so I did the ship excursion. I think next time I will take my chances with the public ferry.

I, too, have been looking for the answer to this question. i always wanted to know just how much time you had on your own with the 6.5 hour tour! Thank you Bajathree! It sounds like you had at least four hours for the beach and shopping! I always felt herded leaving the port in St Thomas so this will be nice to hop off the ship and onto a waiting boat! Doing it on our own is too risky! Bajathree, did you check out the Microbrewery?

Thanks for your replies, I think I would be a little stressed about missing the ship, so thinking I may do the excursion through the cruise ship. So you can split up your day with going to the beach for a couple of hours and shopping for a couple of hours?

You can split your time in St John any way you like...they just tell you what time to be back at the dock. There is some shopping in St John but not like all the stores in downtown St Thomas. As far as shopping in St Thomas after the tour...depending where you dock that may not be an option. Oasis/Allure and some Celebrity ships dock in Crown Bay...so you really wouldn't have time to get to downtown as the ferry drops you back at the pier....it also pushes the time you are in port that you wouldn't have all that much time left afterwards.

I, too, have been looking for the answer to this question. i always wanted to know just how much time you had on your own with the 6.5 hour tour! Thank you Bajathree! It sounds like you had at least four hours for the beach and shopping! I always felt herded leaving the port in St Thomas so this will be nice to hop off the ship and onto a waiting boat! Doing it on our own is too risky! Bajathree, did you check out the Microbrewery?

No...haven't checked out the Microbrewery...something to look into for next time;) As far as time....yep...that is about right...you should have right close to 4 hrs free time if you go off on your own as soon as you arrive to St John....St John is absolutely beautiful :)

We did this excursion thru the cruise line; Celebrity Silhouette 12/29/11. It included transportation to and from St John and a guided walking tour than 3 hours of free time. St John is beautiful but the ride over was very uncomfortable (30 min). We sat on metal seats that house the life vest out in the open sun. The seats were hot. The boat was old and dingy looking. The asked you to sign a roaster which was really a waiver form. On the way over the captain did talk about some of the sites we were passing which was nice. Once there the walking tour was about 15 minutes, just walked around small town (not much to see). Than we took a taxi to trunk bay, the driver was a great guide, he stopped several times for us to take pictures. Loved trunk bay but the tides were high so we had about 45 min before there was no beach to lay on. I think because of the high tides we did not have to pay to enter trunk bay. We took a taxi back to the port (it was private) and took the boat back. this time we sat in the inside, no air on hard wood seats. They served rum punch. They asked for each person to tip them $5. I too was afraid of missing the ship so I did the ship excursion. I think next time I will take my chances with the public ferry.

While the ferries we have taken the 2X we have used the ship excursion over to St John may not have all the comforts of some newer more modern ferries we have found them very safe and the crew good. Yes...some seating is outdoors and the indoor seating is not air conditioned. Siting outdoors may put you in the sun...but after all that is what most people heading to the Caribbean are looking for anyways....just make sure to bring the sun-screen....the boat has plenty drinks and water available... beer as well if you like. The ride over can be a bit rocky (depends on sea conditions that day) but we have always found it enjoyable....very scenic. Out of all the islands I have been to I would rate this ferry as one of the better. As far as tipping....just about any excursion you take are asking for tips at the end...that just goes with the territory.

Has anybody recently done the 6 and a half hour St John Tour on St Thomas through the cruise line, if so, any pro or cons information would be a great help. Leaving soon. Thanks to anybody who can help. Appreciate it.

We took the "St. John on your own" tour through RCI in January. Normally we would have just taken a safari bus to Red Hook and the ferry across to St. John, but this one picked us up right in front of where the Navigator docked, took us directly to Mongoose Station in St. John and gave us three or four hours on our own, most of which we spent at beautiful Trunk Bay. The taxi driver who took us from the excursion boat to the beach, took us back to the boat when we were ready to return. Less hassle and the overall price was not too much more than doing it on our own. There were a couple of different tours to St. John, so I'm not sure if you are asking about the same one. I don't recall there being refreshments available on the boat, but we sat inside and it was quite comfortable and similar to what we have experienced on our ferry rides from Red Hook.

While the ferries we have taken the 2X we have used the ship excursion over to St John may not have all the comforts of some newer more modern ferries we have found them very safe and the crew good. Yes...some seating is outdoors and the indoor seating is not air conditioned. Siting outdoors may put you in the sun...but after all that is what most people heading to the Caribbean are looking for anyways....just make sure to bring the sun-screen....the boat has plenty drinks and water available... beer as well if you like. The ride over can be a bit rocky (depends on sea conditions that day) but we have always found it enjoyable....very scenic. Out of all the islands I have been to I would rate this ferry as one of the better. As far as tipping....just about any excursion you take are asking for tips at the end...that just goes with the territory.

We saw other boats that look a lot better than the one we was on and this boat did not offer water or beer. Just punch on the way back. Maybe the cruise line use different contractors but as a woman I don't like seating on hot mental. The least they can do was put cushions on the mental. I am a big advocate on tipping and tip very generously but I don't think it was appropriate to ask for $5pp. They could have said tipping is appreciated.

We saw other boats that look a lot better than the one we was on and this boat did not offer water or beer. Just punch on the way back. Maybe the cruise line use different contractors but as a woman I don't like seating on hot mental. The least they can do was put cushions on the mental. I am a big advocate on tipping and tip very generously but I don't think it was appropriate to ask for $5pp. They could have said tipping is appreciated.

Not sure what boat you were on, but ours was certainly not uncomfortable and while it was mentioned that tips were appreciated, no one "suggested" an amount. Had our boat experience mirrored yours I would have had the same reaction that you did, but fortunately that was not the case.

Ive been to St Thomas so many times now I go straight to St John

Usually take a taxi over to Red Hook and do the ferry than on the way back take the ferry all the way back to Charlotte Amalie

But If you have never been to St Thomas it is a great Island.. Lots of things to do and see. I think anyone who has never been there will enjoy it and those that have been there still enjoy it multiple times.

Always gone on my own. Take a taxi to Red Hook take the ferry over and take a taxi to Trunk Bay. Spend a few hours, take the taxi back to the ferry, back to red hook and back to the ship. Go to and from Red Hook because the ferry runs every hour. Cheaper usually than the tour. One con is that you better make sure you are back for the ship leaving. On a tour thru the ship, they will wait for you. Pro is that you can go at your speed, no waiting for the group. St. John is so beautiful, totally worth the money and time to go over for the day. You won't be disappointed.

Why go to Red Hook when they have a ferry downtown? Is that due to the times of the ferries?

We took the "St. John on your own" tour through RCI in January. Normally we would have just taken a safari bus to Red Hook and the ferry across to St. John, but this one picked us up right in front of where the Navigator docked, took us directly to Mongoose Station in St. John and gave us three or four hours on our own, most of which we spent at beautiful Trunk Bay. The taxi driver who took us from the excursion boat to the beach, took us back to the boat when we were ready to return. Less hassle and the overall price was not too much more than doing it on our own. There were a couple of different tours to St. John, so I'm not sure if you are asking about the same one. I don't recall there being refreshments available on the boat, but we sat inside and it was quite comfortable and similar to what we have experienced on our ferry rides from Red Hook.

Is this a usual taxi and where did you dock? Crown Bay or Havensight? I would love information as we will be there next week.

Why go to Red Hook when they have a ferry downtown? Is that due to the times of the ferries?

Check the schedule but my impression is that it runs less frequently and may present problems getting back to the ship in a timely fashion. Not sure what the price is, or if much extra time is required to get from Charlotte Amalie rather than Red Hook. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can provide the information.

We rented a jeep at the dock, $90. went to St John on the ferry $30. total for 4 people and jeep. Drove to shopping, drinks, several stops to see gorgeous bays, swimming on a beach in the National Park. Back to ferry for 3:30 trip. Time for some shopping in St. Thomas. Park jeep, give back keys. Walk 2/3 mins. to ship. Wonderful day. I did set up the jeep rental from home, in advance. Make sure you know where to get the ferry.

Have an adventure.

Do you have to take a taxi to the stores or are the stores in the area where you get off the ferry. Also some people in my group do not wish to do this tour, we dock at the Crown Bay pier, what is there to do in this area? Is Mongoose Junction the shopping area, is there much shopping here? Some passengers are saying there is not much to see, I was thinking of doing a tour of the island, is it not worth it, and has anybody else experienced the 5:00 tip and is that on the ferry there and back? Therefore making the trip now $50:00 instead of the $40:00 throught the cruise line. Sorry for al the questions, but I am in charge of a large family group and I am recommending this excursion. Thanks for all your recommendations, it's a big help.

I will be taking the shopping St.. John tour on 2/10/12. I will return to review this excursion on this thread. We have been to St. John many times, but this will be the first time on this type of tour.

We just did the St John shopping tour via the CL off Oasis. It was great....we just did it as transport to St John....we had done the St John on your own excursion before but it's only 4.5 hrs and we found we didn't have enough time in St John. This time we choose the shopping tour because it give you an extra 1.5hrs....they do not care if you due the shopping part of the excursion or not....it's only 15 minutes long anyways....as soon as we got to St John they told us if we wanted to head straight to a beach we can do so...there were taxi's waiting and we jumped in one off to Trunk Bay....it was a GREAT day....we spent about 2 hrs at Trunk Bay and then headed back to Mongoose Junction and walked around...ate, browsed some shops and had a couple drinks....very nice and relaxing...on the way back on the boat they have rum punches free of charge.....would do it again in a heartbeat.

BTW....the excursion picks you up and returns you right to your dock....no taxi's or anything....can't beat it as I I believe we paid $40/pp.

We did this too, and it worked out very well, for just a few dollars more per person (maybe $10) than an "on your own" trip. Not worrying about making it back to the ship on time was well worth the extra money (again, not much more).

Another deciding factor for us was the time the Allure docked. By the time we docked, we would've missed the ferry over if we would've gone "on our own." Then we would've had to wait for the next ferry, and very likely missing that one due to timing/traffic. Something to consider, and YMMV depending upon your ship's arrival time.

I have a blurb about our experience in my Allure review - you can find the link in my signature, if you're interested.

By the way, St. John is beautiful, and I'd go again in a heartbeat!

Do you have to take a taxi to the stores or are the stores in the area where you get off the ferry. Also some people in my group do not wish to do this tour, we dock at the Crown Bay pier, what is there to do in this area? Is Mongoose Junction the shopping area, is there much shopping here? Some passengers are saying there is not much to see, I was thinking of doing a tour of the island, is it not worth it, and has anybody else experienced the 5:00 tip and is that on the ferry there and back? Therefore making the trip now $50:00 instead of the $40:00 throught the cruise line. Sorry for al the questions, but I am in charge of a large family group and I am recommending this excursion. Thanks for all your recommendations, it's a big help.

All shopping is within walking distance of the ferry drop off (passenger). Mongoose Junction is quaint, no chain stores, lovely, quiet area. St. John is a beautiful, non-commercial island. If you tour the whole island, you will not forget the beautiful views and beaches.

Archived