Horseback Riding in Juneau? Other options?

Hate 2 W8t

So sad...just got an email that our horseback riding and Mendenhall tour was cancelled. :( Everything is back up in the air. Does anyone know of an indie that I could do a tour like this with? I guess I could get my riding in at Denali, but I was really looking forward to the ride through the rain forest. Another option is a ride in Skagway. Anyone been riding in Skagway?

Here's where I stand... Any suggestions are appreciated!!!! We're in our 30's, and I need to be kept busy. :p

Ketchikan...Misty Fjords Flight/Cruise

Juneau...<Big blank in the morning>, Capt Larry in the afternoon

Skagway...Yukon Rail to White Pass RT morning, Heli/Dog Sled afternoon

We also have 6 days on a Princess tour of the interior. I try to make it a point to get some riding in on our vacations, since I can't get to it in the hustle and bustle of daily life.

I'm so glad to know I have folks to turn to in order to get some feedback and great ideas, thank you all!! :D

If your passing through Anc,there's a great place to go horseback riding,right next to the zoo. They are in the toursaver book also,so you can get a 2 for 1! Is that general enough info? :)

Are you referring to Horse Trekkin Alaska? I found a site for them but it doesn't provide many deatils. Thanks for the tip. We are still deciding what to do for our afternoon/evening in Anc. Still hoping for a Juneau tip though. :D

Thanks again!

Yes ,Horse Trekkin Alaska..What details are you looking for? I ride there often and am willing to be your guide if our schedules fit...OOPS.. I wonder if I'll get in trouble for saying that!...lol :P

No trouble from me. :D Thanks for the offer. I may decide to take you up on it. I am still holding out for something in Juneau, but after reading through the Juneau website, their tourism guide, my Frommer's guide, and every thread I can find related to Juneau, I am starting to get a little discouraged. ;)

Our plan in Anc was to rent a car and get out of town for the afternoon/evening. We are in Anc on Labor Day, the last day of the Alaska State Fair. We thought we might drive up to that, or possibly down to Portage Glacier (depending on what we see from the bus on the trip from Whittier to Anc).

What is the route like for the ride you are referring to? Does it take you along the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail? Or??? Points of interest along the way? Another option is the ride from the Denali Princess Lodge, but I am curious about that ride as well. I enjoy the ride for the ride, but it's nice to "check off" a few sites or sightings from the "before I die" list. ;)

Thanks for your help!

The riding at Horse Trekkin isn't the most scenic as far as no real high spot views or pionts of interest,but they are well groomed trails in a 400 acre park.Moose are often seen and bears occasionally.You don't feel like your actually in a big city like Anc.Labor day is very busy and I won't be available that day to take you myself.That was the "trouble" I was referring to,being a "guide" and CC policies.I go riding there alot to get my "fix".As far as driving back down to Portage Glacier,you will have seen that portion of road already from your transfer to Anc.Not worth driving back down it,instead head to the fair but not knowing where your from,it's not a huge state fair,in fact smaller than the county fairs I used to compete in back in Mn.It still might be interesting for you to see some of the huge produce like over 100# cabbages.Sorry,I haven't been riding in Denali so can't help you there.

Been to Fairs all over the country and you cannot beat the Alaska State Fair

out in Palmer. Don't know for sure how to describe it but it just has an atmosphere about it. I'd say it is worth the trip....

Hi, my daughter and friends had the same horseback riding excursion booked for the end of June and received the same cancellation note. They were dissappointed as well, and now also trying to find something else to do. They are younger like you and also like to keep busy. So we are checking your thread to see what information you are getting. So far they are looking at the Glacier/ Whale Quest tour, but are a little worried about choppy water on the whale quest , there is a little issue of sea sickness to deal with , so we are still looking. By the way she emailed the rep for Princess excursions and asked if it is possible that the horseback riding might be rescheduled, we havn't heard back yet , if we do, we will post on this thread and let you know. Have a great cruise.

Hello again. I just posted on this thread yesterday, but wanted to let you know that we got an email back from Princess excursions, and they said the reason the horseback riding tour was cancelled was because the tour operator could not get the proper permits to operate this season , so it will not be happening. Just thought you might like to know why it was cancelled.

From what we have found out I think the girls are going to go on the Mendenhall Glacier and Whale Quest tour , it sounds pretty good also. Hope you find an excursion you like. Have a great cruise.

Cori

Archived