Family of 5--best way to go

I have a family of 5. 2 adults and 3 kids--ages at time of planned cruise will be 13, 10, and 9. Do we have to get 2 rooms? We are trying to be economical--so most likely staterooms. Last time we cruised, we went with my parents and they registered one kid to their room as the 3rd guest---even though he slept on the couch in our room. I know that I have to pay for that 5th person...I just wish there was a kid friendly rate...does that make sense? Are connected rooms more expensive that non-connected rooms?

I have a family of 5. 2 adults and 3 kids--ages at time of planned cruise will be 13, 10, and 9. Do we have to get 2 rooms? We are trying to be economical--so most likely staterooms. Last time we cruised, we went with my parents and they registered one kid to their room as the 3rd guest---even though he slept on the couch in our room. I know that I have to pay for that 5th person...I just wish there was a kid friendly rate...does that make sense? Are connected rooms more expensive that non-connected rooms?

I too have a family of 5. 2 adults and 3 kids 13, 9, 9. We have opted for the Oceanview family stateroom. We have heard they also have balcony and inside family staterooms. They have a queen bed, pull out couch, and bunk beds. It has worked great for us! We like the large cabin and large closet. The only drawback would be only 1 bathroom. But it has worked great for us. You do have to call to book, they are not available on the website for booking. The price is not bad for 5; probably a little cheaper than 2 outside staterooms. We went on Oasis and it was great. We had a wonderful cabin steward. She was really nice to the kids and adults. I think they hand picked a mom type to put families at ease. We will be going on Navigator this spring break and have another OV Family stateroom. We will find out if it was a one time great thing or a trend. We have also booked for next year on the Allure and even booked my mom to come in the cabin as a 6th. She was the same cost as the kids! Hope you get a cabin that works great for your family.

Kelly

I too have a family of 5. 2 adults and 3 kids 13, 9, 9. We have opted for the Oceanview family stateroom. We have heard they also have balcony and inside family staterooms. They have a queen bed, pull out couch, and bunk beds. It has worked great for us! We like the large cabin and large closet. The only drawback would be only 1 bathroom. But it has worked great for us. You do have to call to book, they are not available on the website for booking. The price is not bad for 5; probably a little cheaper than 2 outside staterooms. We went on Oasis and it was great. We had a wonderful cabin steward. She was really nice to the kids and adults. I think they hand picked a mom type to put families at ease. We will be going on Navigator this spring break and have another OV Family stateroom. We will find out if it was a one time great thing or a trend. We have also booked for next year on the Allure and even booked my mom to come in the cabin as a 6th. She was the same cost as the kids! Hope you get a cabin that works great for your family.

Kelly

One thing that Royal has over the other lines is the different choices for larger family. We also have a family of 5 (kids 8, 4 and 4). Your options would range from a regular balcony room, board walk balcony and even some prom rooms (some do sleep 5 mostly on oasis and allure) but I wouldn't recommend this considering your kids ages. Family inside, Family Ocean View on most (if not all) ships, Family balcony on oasis and allure, and the Freedom class has 2 cabins that connect (one being balcony other OV). The balcony/ov are all the way forward but if you don't want your kids to have their own balcony but yourself and DH want one it is an option. You may have to call for availability on this arrangement also because both these cabins sleep 3 and won't show up if you do it online with just 2 in one of the cabins. If you want a Junior suite some of them also sleep 5 on certain ships (not freedom class I know). Also suites above the Junior suite will sleep 5 with a roll away (this is available on the freedom class too). It really depends on what type of cabin you want and how much money you want to spend. HTH.

Connecting and non connecting are the same price and you get two bathrooms.:D

Family rooms would be nice too. I walked thru one between cruises.

They are the same price for the 1st and 2nd passenger but with a family of 5 sometimes it is cheaper to get a family room because of the 3rd, 4th and 5th person rates being lower than the 1st and 2nd. Also depends on if OP wants a balcony but doesn't trust her kids with their own balcony yet.

We have three kids, 14, 8, and 5. So we have been in your shoes for years.

If you are looking for the most economical it will most likely be inside staterooms. If that is the cheapest and your budget is most important, I would book inside connecting rooms. You get two bathrooms, the value of which can not be overstated. 5 people cleaning up from the pool before a formal night? Two bathrooms=priceless.

Now the major problem is that the number of two person rooms connecting to a three person room is limited, so you need to book early. And you may not have your choice of where on the ship due to availability.

We have three kids, 14, 8, and 5. So we have been in your shoes for years.

If you are looking for the most economical it will most likely be inside staterooms. If that is the cheapest and your budget is most important, I would book inside connecting rooms. You get two bathrooms, the value of which can not be overstated. 5 people cleaning up from the pool before a formal night? Two bathrooms=priceless.

Now the major problem is that the number of two person rooms connecting to a three person room is limited, so you need to book early. And you may not have your choice of where on the ship due to availability.

We are also a family of five, and if we cannot find two inside connecting cabins my husband and I split up and put the girls in one and the boys in the other. On our last (Oasis) cruise we got two balconies, and now there is no going back to insides for us!!! Going on the Navigator in a few weeks in two aft balconies. Also, as another poster mentioned above --- two bathrooms=PRICELESS.

Archived