Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

I see one major flaw with this submission..

I quote

Attachment A

Approximate Timeline of Costa Concordia Disaster

Based on Various Press Accounts

If a submissions to the house is going to be based on various press accounts one would hope that those press accounts would have to better sourced than some of the sensationalist/incorrect articles that have been shown to be very questionable or incorrect by many here on CC.

I quote

Attachment A

If a submissions to the house is going to be based on various press accounts one would hope that those press accounts would have to better sourced than some of the sensationalist/incorrect articles that have been shown to be very questionable or incorrect by many here on CC.

I saw a major flaw, too. There is no mention of Dominica. ;)

One quote:

Divya and Sameer Sharma, a Massachusetts couple who were celebrating their fifth wedding anniversary aboard the Concordia, riveted lawmakers with their description of a crew that refused to tell them the ship had struck a reef or to explain how to evacuate.

"We felt very betrayed, very much lied to," Sameer Sharma said. "They were not honest with us at any given point."

One quote:

Divya and Sameer Sharma, a Massachusetts couple who were celebrating their fifth wedding anniversary aboard the Concordia, riveted lawmakers with their description of a crew that refused to tell them the ship had struck a reef or to explain how to evacuate.

"We felt very betrayed, very much lied to," Sameer Sharma said. "They were not honest with us at any given point."

I'm not questioning if they really did "feel very betrayed, very much lied to" but maybe the reason that the truth wasn't given to them was due to the fact that most of the crew was keep in the dark or lied to by the command officers.

I quote

Attachment A

How about using ships positioning data, black box data, and radio transmissions rather than the press:rolleyes:

How about using ships positioning data, black box data, and radio transmissions rather than the press:rolleyes:

You sound like my Mom. She didn't want us to have any fun, either....:D

Or to give a new twist on an old Hollywood phrase:

"With the New Media at work, we don't need no stinking black boxes." :D

I saw a major flaw, too. There is no mention of Dominica. ;)

We know Schettino had Dominica on his mind, he wanted to impress her; but to mention her would be giving him an excuse, and she was 'no excuse' for a captain of a ship carrying 4000+ passengers; more than twice her age but showing off like a teenager. Confidence, arrogance, disaster, If it was'nt what he did or did'nt do after the crash, I'd feel sorry for him; but I now can see how a man can destroy their life in a very short time with a few bad decisions. Domenica sold him out too, with his wife and his job responsibility, IMO of course.

I quote

Attachment A

And to think some posters took offense when I suggested that a "news story" by Cruise Mates should be questioned or looked at with its source in mind.....:D

I'm not questioning if they really did "feel very betrayed, very much lied to" but maybe the reason that the truth wasn't given to them was due to the fact

that most of the crew was keep in the dark or lied to by the command officers.

And further that said crew have been trained that when sand hits fan, in the absence of any real info, tell guests everythings fine,

nothing to see here, move along. Everythings under control. Must maintain the cruising illusion at any cost

LOL . . . he/she has NO CRITICAL ANALYSIS . . . just venting on an opinion he/she may have, IMO. :rolleyes:

I personally think [opinion] its grossly unfair to criticize Cruise Critic's journalistic integrity over revenue they may or may not receive from CCL, Costa or travel agencies that advertise on their site based on how they may "spin" a story.

So do I http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/sep/02/tripadvisor-asa-investigation-reviews

And further that said crew have been trained that when sand hits fan, in the absence of any real info, tell guests everythings fine,

nothing to see here, move along. Everythings under control. Must maintain the cruising illusion at any cost

Very good point!

I guess it's better to say "everything is under control" than to say "We don't have a clue because they aren't telling us a thing". While some people can handle stressful and dangerous situations, some can't and it's best to not start a panic.

"Everything is fine. Go back to your cabins. Don't worry about the rising water."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2108790/Costa-Concordia-officers-took-drugs-duty-molested-women-staff-Explosive-claims-investigation.html

Two former Costa Cruises employees have told Italian prosecutors investigating the Concordia disaster that officers 'took drugs' while on duty and molested female staff members, it was reported in Italy today.

This story paints a very bad picture of Schettino's and other officers' behavior on the Concordia and other Costa ships:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9116254/Costa-Concordia-cruise-ship-was-hotbed-of-sexual-harassment.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2108790/Costa-Concordia-officers-took-drugs-duty-molested-women-staff-Explosive-claims-investigation.html

Two former Costa Cruises employees have told Italian prosecutors investigating the Concordia disaster that officers 'took drugs' while on duty and molested female staff members, it was reported in Italy today.

"........And the truth shall set you free." :eek:

Greg, the 4th large picture down, underwater shot, does that look to be on the starboard side? That's a pretty big gash and looks to show what might be some crew quarters.

Greg, the 4th large picture down, underwater shot, does that look to be on the starboard side? That's a pretty big gash and looks to show what might be some crew quarters.

I would say it is definitely the starboard side since it is under water.

However, in the top center of the photo, you can see deck chairs. That would seem to indicate it was near the top deck, and not a below the normal water line gash.

It's probably just damage from whatever the starboard side of the ship is laying on.