Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

[quote name='Bearded Engineer']Good morning all. I have been watching the live feed on the BBC web site. I noticed the second parbuckling cable from the stern has gone slack. That strand jack must have malfunctioned. I imagine they have enough excess capacity in the remaining strand jacks to carry on without it.[/quote]

They maybe also adjusting the cables and minimize stress on the hull.
Thier sensors maybe showing a problem on the stern.

AKK Edited by Tonka's Skipper

[quote name='Mike.Minh']Here is a reminder whats still inside (found it on the Telegraph website in the UK)

[I]Trapped inside the upturned hull are more than 24,000lbs of fish, nearly 5,500lbs of cheese, 1,500 gallons of ice cream in tubs, 24,000lbs of pasta, 2,000lbs of onions, more than 2,000 pots of jam and nearly 17,000 tea bags.
Rotting beneath the waterline are more than 17,000lbs of raw beef, nearly 11,000 eggs, 2,346 hot dog buns, 815lbs of rabbit meat and more than 1,000 gallons of milk.
Some of the food and drink is sealed, presenting less of a pollution risk, including 18,000 bottles of wine, 22,000 cans of Coca-Cola, 1,000 bottles of extra virgin olive oil, 46,000 miniature bottles of spirits and 10 bottles of communion wine for the ship's chapel.
[/I]

The webcams we used for so many weeks have become partly unresponsive or erratic. Glad to see that Reuters have an own team on site (using their own Sat feed).

12 o'Clock UK, Now raised by 3 degrees and has come free at the critical bits from the granite seabed. Early moments, but going to plan.[/QUOTE]

Interesting, I did not even think about that being on there. Just so much you don't think about. Plus all the linens and heavy machines as well.

[quote name='USNUZULOOSE']If this should not work, do you think they will just tear it apart there to haul it away?[/quote]

Officially there is NO plan B.

Off the record, they must have some at least rough plans of what will happen next if this does fail.

What happens will be determined by what the failure was and the condition and position of the hull.

It very well may end up being cut apart.

AKK

[QUOTE=Tonka's Skipper;39973759]Officially there is NO plan B.

Off the record, they must have some at least rough plans of what will happen next if this does fail.

What happens will be determined by what the failure was and the condition and position of the hull.

It very well may end up being cut apart.

AKK[/QUOTE]

I hope they don't have to do that, but I guess you do what you need to do to move it. I think it may be time for the coffee pot to kick on.

[quote name='USNUZULOOSE']I hope they don't have to do that, but I guess you do what you need to do to move it. I think it may be time for the coffee pot to kick on.[/quote]

I don't think they need a plan B now. The most critical point was getting it off the rocks. That's when the tension in the cables was the highest and the stress on the hull was the greatest. From now on with each degree of rotation the stress becomes less.

[quote name='Bearded Engineer']I don't think they need a plan B now. The most critical point was getting it off the rocks. That's when the tension in the cables was the highest and the stress on the hull was the greatest. From now on with each degree of rotation the stress becomes less.[/QUOTE]

That is good news!

I hope that no one on the other side of the pond is flagging through lack of sleep. 13.24 in the UK just had lunch on my knee watching the laptop.
Can I just say how nice it is to hear from so many people we don't normally hear from and thank you for your input.
As far as I can see we have had about 3000 views since we started before dawn this morning, that is an incredible number and we will, no doubt, have another surge as our friends in U.S. wake up.
So no nodding off until Costa Concordia has safely rolled onto the platform.
When that happens I will raise a toast to Nick Sloane and his incredible team with a glass on Italian Red Vino.

[quote name='clive and anne']I hope that no one on the other side of the pond is flagging through lack of sleep. 13.24 in the UK just had lunch on my knee watching the laptop.
Can I just say how nice it is to hear from so many people we don't normally hear from and thank you for your input.
As far as I can see we have had about 3000 views since we started before dawn this morning, that is an incredible number and we will, no doubt, have another surge as our friends in U.S. wake up.
When that happens I will raise a toast to Nick Sloane and his incredible team with a glass on Italian Red Vino.[/QUOTE]

I hope to make it......:D

[quote name='clive and anne']I hope that no one on the other side of the pond is flagging through lack of sleep. 13.24 in the UK just had lunch on my knee watching the laptop.
When that happens I will raise a toast to Nick Sloane and his incredible team with a glass on Italian Red Vino.[/QUOTE]

Clive, will this continue overnight until it's completely raised or will,they be able to stop it. Im at work watching on my phone. Not the best as I had my laptop connected to my big tv this morning

Sent from my MT11i using Tapatalk 2

So I took the advice and stayed up all night watching this. The last hour or so I haven't noticed any more change in the rotation. There seems to be a lot of boat activity examining the parbuckling cables on the port side. I count 3 that seems to have gone slack. Not sure if that's intentional, but it makes me wonder if equipment failed, the cable broke, or there is a problem where they connect to the platform.

Of course, I could be delirious from my short naps all night long. Hoping for the best!!!

Hi Alex
Due to the storm delay we didn't get going until about 9am BST therefore if its a 10 hour job we should be through by 7pm BST and 9pm BST if it goes the full 12 hours.
We have had a couple of press conferences early on and it would be useful if we could have another to give us a progress report. they should have a better idea as to 10 or 12 hours.

[quote name='clive and anne']Hi Alex
Due to the storm delay we didn't get going until about 9am BST therefore if its a 10 hour job we should be through by 7pm BST and 9pm BST if it goes the full 12 hours.
We have had a couple of press conferences early on and it would be useful if we could have another to give us a progress report. they should have a better idea as to 10 or 12 hours.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I was watching from 6 this morning until I went to work at 9. I think I will finish at 3 and watch the end. If cables have slackened that will let me see more

Sent from my MT11i using Tapatalk 2

[quote name='Bearded Engineer']Good morning all. I have been watching the live feed on the BBC web site. I noticed the second parbuckling cable from the stern has gone slack. That strand jack must have malfunctioned. I imagine they have enough excess capacity in the remaining strand jacks to carry on without it.[/quote]
B.E., I noticed the stern end 2nd strand jack cable dropping down @ a steeper angle aswell a while ago, I also recall the bow end 2nd SJ cable doing the same. May just be coincidence that they had less or no tension on them, or maybe they were purposefully attached to a lower part of the underwater platforms & hence the steeper angle. Either way, I guess it's a little late now to take them back to the shop for an exchange!!

Just been watching some decent zoomed-in close-ups of the strand jacks & various other parts of the ship, the tail-ends of the SJ cables have now returned all the way back down over the bottom corners of the sponsons & approaching the water level.

Looking @ the bow shot camera, it would appear that CC is probably now almost on her pivot point/point of balance on the lower corner of her keel. So now by filling the overhanging sponsons slowly with water she should carry on over without much help from the SJs.

Micoperi 30 may have a small problem, she's left her large steel wire mooring line attached to the lower part of CC's stern, it'll be underwater soon! A nice job for one of the divers (a very strong one!) to detatch it later on.

Thinking ahead, we've really been spoilt with the Reuters' cameras today, I hope they return for the actual raising of CC, hopefully next spring!

Half way through the day, my eyes are already converting from round to square looking @ the screen!

When that happens I will raise a toast to Nick Sloane and his incredible team with a glass on Italian Red Vino.[/quote]

I am in the eastern time zone (USA) and stayed up until 2 am waiting for things to get started. Then I went to bed until 6am and have been up ever since. I'm at work now and very thankful for coffee.

[quote name='Zippercat']This may be a dumb question, but wouldn't the marine life, for the submerged areas, and insects, etc., for the above water areas, have consumed the "rotting food" inside the ship long ago? :confused:[/quote]

I would think anything that was exposed would be gone but the stuff sealed inside the walk-in coolers and freezers is probably quite "ripe" by now. I'm glad I'm not the one who has to open those up after the ship is in dry dock.

[quote name='Zippercat']This may be a dumb question, but wouldn't the marine life, for the submerged areas, and insects, etc., for the above water areas, have consumed the "rotting food" inside the ship long ago? :confused:[/QUOTE]

I don't think this is a dumb question. Although I would think for the most part that rotten stuff would be in sealed containers, or at least "sealed" refrigerators/freezers. And although it is tough subject, I've thought the same question about the 2 missing passengers. 19 months underwater can't possibly be good for preservation, but hopefully they are able to find them and properly lay them to rest.