Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

I wonder if someone could check the Parbuckle webcam to see if CC has risen slightly out of the water. I am probably mistaken or it could be tidal causes but it looks ever so slightly higher where the row of windows that were at sea level seem to be out of the water.

Clive, I looked at the cam soon after your post. I didn't really notice any difference. Then I went to a few of our usual sites to see if any mention was made of a "rise." Found nothing indicating that happening.

I did find this article, imo, somewhat so so written. However the pixs to scan through were interesting enough to link the article here.

http://www.wired.com/2014/07/costa-concordia-removal/

Hi Micki

After two years of watching the webcam I am probably willing CC to rise.

I haven't seen any direct quote from Greenpeace to say they are going to disrupt the operation but rather monitor the operation.

Just checked and Rainbow Warrior is docked in ARGOSTOLI which is on a Greek island. the article I read though just said a ship would be monitoring and didn't name Rainbow Warrior.

Right I think I will go and have my eyes checked.

Clive, there's been a time or 2 that I've wondered if the ship has looked "taller" in the sea. I rationalized that I was only seeing a change in the tide.

As for Greenpeace I think they will tread lightly on this project. Any attempt to interfere could greatly damage their credibility, which for many is already on shaky ground (or water.) I really believe and tests that have been ongoing around Concordia prove, that every effort has been made to avoid any further damage to the environment.

There is no denying that the crossing has risks but it has to be done.

Maybe, "The Greenpeacians" were just doing what some other self appointed leftist guardians do. :rolleyes:

Some groups issue "Fetching" press releases. ;)

In esence, they say "we're watching you but if you make a donation to our organization as a counsulting fee, we will go away". :eek:

Edited by Uniall

Conquest has pulled right away from CC so I guess her work is done until after CC has been towed away.

I am presuming that Conquest will be required to lift the underwater platform away if the decisive Italian authorities decide to remove the platform.

Conquest has pulled right away from CC so I guess her work is done until after CC has been towed away.

I am presuming that Conquest will be required to lift the underwater platform away if the decisive Italian authorities decide to remove the platform.

Maybe they'll leave the platform in place in case Captain Schitino gets to keep his masters license. :eek:

So this morning there are a few changes to report.

Conquest has sailed up to Elba to join Mario B and presumably the pontoon, Buccaneer has docked in Piombino. Two new to us vessels have arrived in the area ready for the re float. Blizzard has sailed from Holland to join Resolve Earl as the two tugs which will tow CC and just approaching is Armonia which is described as an anti pollution vessel.

Still no update from Reuters regarding a live feed, have noticed on the http://www.isoladelgiglio.net/webcam.html that there are 5 media vans with satellite dishes on their roofs, plus what looks like 2 marquees/tents next to them, located near the end of the harbour wall next to the beach (bottom left hand corner of the frame looking down on the marina). Hoping one of these vans is Reuters!

Tugboat Resolve Earl now approaching Giglio from mainland overnight stay.

Good Morning CTH

I am watching the Porto camera from Giglio news. If the parbuckle is anything to go by they erected huge tents in the square. I suppose that as accreditation for the press is until today perhaps Reuters haven't been given permission yet.

as various vessels leave the area, Buccaneer left this morning, CC is looking more and more isolated.

Press Release from the Parbuckling Project:

http://www.theparbucklingproject.com/article/87/CostaCrociere:_last_hours_to_beginning_of_refloating

The refloating operation is planned to start at 6 am on Monday, July 14. During the first stage, the Concordia will be refloated about 2 meters up off the platforms and moved 30 meters towards the east with the assistance of tugs. The ship will then be securely moored and technicians will be able to complete the attachment and tensioning of the last cables and chains, and to lower the starboard sponsons to their final position. The actual refloating will then begin, raising the ship one deck at a time, from deck 6 to deck 3. The whole operation is expected to take about 6 or 7 days to complete. The departure of the Concordia from Giglio is currently scheduled for July 21.

Caught one little bit of Nick Sloane saying that everything was set for 6am tomorrow. I think he said that although we start at 6am it would take 3/4 hours before it got interesting.

The sound level on my machine was very low so I missed the rest.

Clive, I was viewing it but had trouble hearing. Had the volume all the way up on my puter but still no luck. Were you able to hear it?

BTW, I've looked at Concordia the last few nights (mine) before going to sleep. That would be just around the time the sun would start to rise. The word that came to mind for me was "lonely." After so much time with her surrounded by vessels not seeing any was strange.

I thought it was a mixture of my technology and old age (me not the laptop) Thank goodness I'm not on my own.

I totally agree with you iMicki, its so very sad to see such a lovely ship in this state.

How many of you will be watching in the morning??

Clive, with a 7 hour time difference I will check in before going to sleep and probably watch for a few hours. I really don't expect I'll see much that soon after starting.

Has anyone heard anything about the weather forecast for the morning?

I totally agree with you iMicki, its so very sad to see such a lovely ship in this state.

I'll certainly be watching on whichever livestream is available!

Just had a quick look at today's http://www.kielmonitor.de/kino.php?cam=concordia . At around 3mins 5 secs the two vessels (I think!) Garibaldo and Red Wolf both fire great water cannons into the air, Red Wolf has 2 & Garibaldo has 1 with a longer reach. Not sure if they are dispersing surface oil etc at that time, or testing them ready for next week for dispersing surface pollution (or Greenpeace!!....)?

Just had a quick look at today's http://www.kielmonitor.de/kino.php?cam=concordia . At around 3mins 5 secs the two vessels (I think!) Garibaldo and Red Wolf both fire great water cannons into the air, Red Wolf has 2 & Garibaldo has 1 with a longer reach. Not sure if they are dispersing surface oil etc at that time, or testing them ready for next week for dispersing surface pollution (or Greenpeace!!....)?

Maybe they were firing water cannons at a Greenpeace patrol boat LOL

I saw that as it was happening. Wondered whether it was some sort of test or a part of some sort of ceremony.

Checked weather forecast and we know how reliable they can be. :rolleyes:

Calling for thunderstorms (80% chance) but more towards evening. After that it shows clears skies until next Sunday.

Just found this tweet:

Parbuckling Project @InfoParbuckling

#NickSloane : #Concordia #refloating we are ready, we thank Giglio people.

Edited by SomeBeach

I thought it was a mixture of my technology and old age (me not the laptop) Thank goodness I'm not on my own.

I will be watching on Florida time. Want to see as much of this operation as possible over the following days. It is an engineering marvel not to be missed.