Crane Beach

dongordon

Has anyone been to Crane Beach lately?

I was there about 10 years ago and had to enter through the hotel and pay an entrance fee.

Had lunch there and then went to the beach.....it is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

Don

We were there in Jan. 2011. The resort has grown to include more buildings and a shopping area. The dining room that overlooks the ocean was under construction and we were told we'd have lunch in a room with no view. The price to get in for the day was steep. The staff not very friendly towards us. Another couple we met there talked their way in or maybe tipped someone off. We walked out a and down to the public beach access. We scaled the rickety path over rocks and made it on the beach. There we found a vendor not associated with Crane, renting umbrellas and beach chairs. We rented chairs and umbrella..he also sold beer. We ordered food from a deli and this guy had it delivered to us, that was nice. We exited thru the resort when we left and easily hailed a taxi. Sorry I don't remember prices. I think it was $20pp each way for 4 of us. A large group of merchant marine students from Maasachusetts came to the beach and were drinking heavily and were rowdy. They did ruin things but we made due the best we could to avoid them.

Has anyone been to Crane Beach lately?

I was there about 10 years ago and had to enter through the hotel and pay an entrance fee.

Had lunch there and then went to the beach.....it is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

Don

I'll be there later this month and will report back. We plan on using the public entrance and renting chairs/umbrellas from the vendor not associated with Crane's.

I have reserved round trip transportation thru Johnson Tours. Price is $76 round trip for two people.

The pictures of the beach looks amazing.

Thank you both for that information....I believe I will use the public route to the beach.

I assume the taxi drivers know where that is.

Would you have the website for Johnson Tours so I can contact them when the time arrives.

Thanks so much.

Don

Thank you both for that information....I believe I will use the public route to the beach.

I assume the taxi drivers know where that is.

Would you have the website for Johnson Tours so I can contact them when the time arrives.

Thanks so much.

Don

johnsontoursdotcom

I'm sure the drivers are aware of the public entrance.

We were there on our recent cruise in January. We booked through Johnson Tours.

Our driver initially took us to the hotel, and when they told us how much it was, they directed us to the public entrance just down the road. The driver (from Johnson Tours) was not familiar with the public entrance, so he was a little confused.

Also note, the public access includes walking over rocks. I would say for the most part it's safe, but you never can tell. It was beautiful, with pink coral in the sand, and I enjoyed our short time there, but I think the hype was more than the beach itself.

I think if you like boogie boarding or body surfing (we do that a lot here in Long Island, NY),

you really enjoy the experience of these activities in crystal clear waves. Something that I have not viewed / swam at any Carribbean beach.

I am looking forward to going back there next January.

Thanks for the warning about the rocks.

Do you remember what the hotel was charging for an entrance fee?

Don

10 years ago I'd have said that it was one of the prettiest beaches. I was back again in June and found that it was slightly trashy and not as nice as I remembered. I was rather disappointed in it overall. We stayed most of our week at Dover Beach which in comparison was much more to my liking. All my opinion of course.

• 3 weeks later...

As promised here is my report from our trip to Crane Beach.

We were on the NCL Dawn and in port from 7:00 am - 5:00 pm so we deciede to make the trip to Crane Beach. I pre-arranged transportation through Johnson Tours. Round trip cost was $76. Our driver picked us up at 8:00 and dropped us off at the public entrance by 8:50.

We navigated the stairs/rocks fairly easily but we are both in good shape. Those with shorter legs will have a more difficult time as there are time where one has to really stretch. The key is to TAKE YOUR TIME and you will be fine. I have attached some pictures.

Once on the beach, we rented 2 chairs and an umbrella for $20. The water was warm and the sun was hot. It was also very windy and sand was everywhere. In addition, there were no public restrooms.

I walked up the road to Cutters Deli (10 minute walk at the most) and bought a couple of roast beef sandwiches and cokes for lunch (and use the bathroom).;)

Our driver picked us up at 3:00 sharp as requested and we were on board by 4:00.

Overall, we enjoyed our trip to Crane Beach.

crane1.jpg.817764099b46a68071912375c1e108e5.jpg

crane2.jpg.9c25bcbde58561cd3c31edbde9ceb364.jpg

crane3.jpg.68f461477ea928af7cdf42e4c729dc3f.jpg

crane4.jpg.abfebc3bf2959fe85f427c08f0d9bbc8.jpg

We just got back and during our week in Barbados we took a taxi two different days to Crane. We entered thru the hotel. You go to reception and pay $20.00 pp for a beach pass. This is then credited against lunch ( and bar) in any of the 4 restaurants open for lunch. Therefore you really pay nothing to use the hotel facilities....( not including the pool). You have to rent chairs and umbrellas from the vendors.

The sand was perfect, the waves great fun for body surfing and splashing around. Excelent days....

We just got back and during our week in Barbados we took a taxi two different days to Crane. We entered thru the hotel. You go to reception and pay $20.00 pp for a beach pass. This is then credited against lunch ( and bar) in any of the 4 restaurants open for lunch. Therefore you really pay nothing to use the hotel facilities....( not including the pool). You have to rent chairs and umbrellas from the vendors.

The sand was perfect, the waves great fun for body surfing and splashing around. Excelent days....

I'd be careful about making such blanket statements as they can mislead other cruisers. A beach pass is not available every day. It depends on their occupancy rate among other things.

I called and it was not offered the day we visited. So make sure you call before showing up.

Archived