Family emergency:need advice for travelling arrangements

Aldeya

I am an avid cruiser but today I'm asking for help from UK cruisers which is not related to cruising.

I have to fly from USA to Birmingham because of the completely unexpected medical family emergency.

When I arrive to Burmingham Airport I need to get to the Swansea. Is there anyone who can give me the advice how to get there ASAP? Is it by railroad or bus? I did the research online but I can't find any definite information on the travel arrangements.

There is also a possibility that I might need to get from the airport to Aberystwyth and would appreciate an advice how to get there by railroad or bus.

I apologise that this request is OT and I know it's a long shot but in my many years at Cruise Critic I happend to know how helpful people on these boards are.

Maybe someone can help me in this urgent matter.

Thank you in advance.

Alice

Hi Alice,

Your post after midnight on our side of the Pond, sensible Brits will be tucked-up in bed by now & you may get more-knowledgeable help in the morning.

Birmingham airport has a train station, known as Birmingham International, station code BHI.

It also has rather limited coach services, the pick-up point is Birmingham Airport.

The train is likely to be your best bet due to service frequency & no worries about buying tickets on arrival.

To Swansea

By train:

Station code for Swansea is SWA.

Around four trains per hour, but broadly three of the four involve a change at Birmingham New Street and another at either Bristol or Newport, the other involves a single change at Shrewsbury. Journey time 3hrs 30 to 4hrs 25, according to route.

By Nat Express coach:

Only four coaches per day,between 10.25am & 5.55pm. All involve a change at Birmingham coach station & three of the four also involve a change at Cardiff. Journey time between 4hrs 30 & 5hrs 15.

To Aberystwyth

By train:

Station code is AYW

There's a direct service, but it runs only once every two hours from 8.09am to 8.09pm, plus a red-eye night train. Journey time 3hrs 15.

By Nat Express coach:

Just the one coach, direct, leaves at 3.15pm, journey time 4hrs 45

All the above on a random weekday, Sunday services generally less frequent.

Best to book coach tickets in advance since capacity is limited.

Train tickets are generally cheaper booked in advance but can be bought at the station, no problem.

Train details at

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

Coach details at

http://www.nationalexpress.com/coach/

If you want to consider car hire, all the usual suspects have depots at Birmingham airport.

Swansea is 158 miles, about 2hrs 40, nearly all motorway. I imagine that most rental agencies will have depots.

Aberystwyth is 130 miles, about 2hrs 30, slower roads. Few rental agencies will have depots.

All a lot easier than it looks, & folk will help you on the way.

JB :)

Good morning,

So sorry you have to come over under such circumstances.

Transport heading West as described is very provincial; the drive to Aber is beautiful in fine weather but very long. We have very poor weather expected and I would strongly recommend you use the train as described. The drive to Swansea is possibly easier with some motorway use.

I find the best price for train tickets can be had at http://www.thetrainline.com. When you book you get a reference number which you key into a machine at the station to receive the ticket.

Good luck.

Archived