4x4 Island Safari & Harrisons Cave Expedition

sabrefan

We have booked this shore excursions for a our cruise on the Equinox in March, just wondering if anyone out there has gone on this and what you thought of this excursion?

If you had to choose between this excursion versus snorkeling with the turtles which would you choose. Already have a snorkeling tour in St. Thomas before getting to Barbados.

Hello, I have taken 5 cruises to Barbados, over the years. I have experienced many

different kinds of activities.

The most reknown snorkeling experience is the SILVER MOON, which only has a capacity for about 8 people. That's the nice part about it. Two stops for snorkeling: with the

huge sea TURTLES, and later over a small sunken vessel(nothing like a freighter-small).

THE PRIMARY ATTRACTION OF THIS EXCURSION, IMO, IS THE OPEN BAR. The operators

of this excursion are fabulous hosts! Libations and snacks are served FREQUENTLY.

The emphasis is more on cruising along, libating, and snorkeling is definitely secondary.

The main advantage they have is at the TURTLE snorkeling site. There are MANY other

vessels there, at the same time. Silver Moon FEEDS the turtles, which attracts them to the ocean surface. I took many photos of the turtles, a foot away from me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, I went with a ship sponsored excursion to the turtles, and had a terrible experience. Too many people congested in one small area. Never saw a turtle, got kicked in the head numerous times,. not fun.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our first excursion was a "4X4" excursion, a few years ago; ship sponsored.

Let me say, we saw some beautiful sights of the Bathsheba coastline, on it.

The "4X4" aspect of it was a little disappointing, if you are anticipating "off

roading." The only "off roading" we did was to drive down an abandoned

sugar cane field-dirt, pot holed road- for a short distance. This dirt road just

connects between the paved, busy traffic road you were on, to the next one.

That portion was a bone jarring ride, be forewarned, if you are taking the same

route.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Between the two activities, I would recommend the 4X4 one. As long as you visit the Bathsheba coastline, as part of it. It is a beautiful area to stroll along the beach.

No swimming; turbulent wave action.

** My recommendation is due to your snorkeling plans, at St Thomas. I would definitely

save your snorkeling for St Thomas,IMO. Been there many times, love their beaches.

** If you have all day, I highly recommend taking the Red Hook Ferry over to the neighboring island of ST JOHN. THE MOST BEAUTIFUL STRING OF BEACHES IN THE

WORLD, IMO. About a 30 minute ferry ride from St Thomas. It is simply breathtaking.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glad to answer any more questions, been to both ports, several times.

Thank you very much for reply. Photography is one of my favorite hobbies and this 4x4 does visit Bathsheba. This will be our first visit to Barbados. We have visited St. Thomas before and we are scheduled to snorkel off the Castaway Girl. I have read some nice reviews and even some video on line. Looks like a nice excursion. Can't wait to go next month.

Sounds Like A Plan!

I am also in to photography. The 4X4 will give you plenty of photo ops, along the

Bathsheba coastline. That area of Barbados is the most intriguing, awesome

views from above, on the island, IMO. On our excursion, the driver stopped at various places, for photo opportunities: St Johns Church(great views of the coastline from high above), and a snack break at the shoreline. We walked along the shoreline, among the large black boulders, and took some beautiful pics of the awesome waves.

I think you will be having the best of both worlds. The beauty of Barbados coastline,

and the great snorkeling at St Thomas.

You will be having a great adventure!

MAGNUM

Magnum,

The 4x4 tour that you were talking about- was it with Adventureland Barbados?

We are sailing on the Carnival Victory on 3/4/12 and Barbados is the only port that I haven't scheduled a tour.

I was looking at Glory Tours-Best of Barbados but seems others have had problems with Glory. Now, I'm leaning towards the Congaline Adventure with Adventureland.

Any information would be appreciated?

Thanks,

Funkat

Magnum,

The 4x4 tour that you were talking about- was it with Adventureland Barbados?

We are sailing on the Carnival Victory on 3/4/12 and Barbados is the only port that I haven't scheduled a tour.

I was looking at Glory Tours-Best of Barbados but seems others have had problems with Glory. Now, I'm leaning towards the Congaline Adventure with Adventureland.

Any information would be appreciated?

Thanks,

Funkat

BBM

Have used Adventureland twice and can't wait to go back to them in March 2013! If you want a personal contact, call 246-418-3687 and ask for Tammy Haynes who is their operations manager. She can also be reached at: info@adventurelandbarbados.com

Ask if Kenny Alexander is going to be guiding any of the excursions you're interested in: He cannot be beat!!!

Happy cruising!

Deb

Archived