First Time Cruiser on Allure- some questions

bluknows

We're first-time cruisers booked on Allure next week. I've been doing a lot of lurking on this site and now I have some questions I hope you can help with.

RCCL tells us the ship will begin boarding at 2 p.m. but, from what I'm seeing here, if you come out between 11 a.m. and noon you can probably get on board (but not in your room) much earlier. Is that correct?

Is the main dining room open only for dinner or can you get lunch there, too?

We're hoping they have dance lessons on board. Is this a usual feature?

Do they really charge you to take a sauna or a steam bath?

Any help is most appreciated.

Blu,

1) You can usually board about 11 a.m. Normally the rooms are available about 1 p.m.

2) MDR also serves lunch and breakfast.

3) There are some dance lessons. I have the western caribbean schedules and it shows Chicago dance lessons (the main show on the ship) and flash mob dance classes. I have seen thriller dance classes etc in the various schedules. You will have to check the daily compass to see what's available each day.

4) Not sure on the Allure but on other ships there are showers, saunas and steam rooms in the gym locker rooms that are free.

We're first-time cruisers booked on Allure next week. I've been doing a lot of lurking on this site and now I have some questions I hope you can help with.

RCCL tells us the ship will begin boarding at 2 p.m. but, from what I'm seeing here, if you come out between 11 a.m. and noon you can probably get on board (but not in your room) much earlier. Is that correct?

Just realized you are first time cruisers and new Cruise Critic members -- Welcome to Both. Warning: Both are highly addictive. :D

See you are from NS, I was born and raised in Halifax.:)

We were on the Allure earlier this month. I am slowly getting some pictures posted to the link below. On the Allure you can also go to Breakfast at Johnny Rockets for free (it is on the Boardwalk). I will get the link to the Dining Places on the Allure which indicates which ones are free. Lots of options.

Definitely book your show reservations in advance. You will be assured a seat (as long as you get there at least 10 minutes ahead of time).

You might also want to join your Meet and Mingle; what date is your sailing? I will get the link for you.

Link for Dining Options information: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/category.do?pagename=onboard_cat_dining_options

Kathy

If you are on the Sailing Feb 12th. Here is the link to your Roll Call. You can join the Meet and Mingle -- info on top of page.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1357862

An hour long gathering is held for those registered for the Meet and Mingle. You will receive an invitation. Check you TV for interactive info and messages.

There is usually a raffle at the Meet and Mingle with prizes that include logo gear etc. Light Refreshments are provided.

Have fun.

Just realized you are first time cruisers and new Cruise Critic members -- Welcome to Both. Warning: Both are highly addictive. :D

See you are from NS, I was born and raised in Halifax.:)

Kathy

Thank you for the information and the welcome. We're very excited. As I was shoveling my driveway this morning I kept saying over and over: "Cruise ship. Cruise ship."

I'm from Halifax, too.

Hi I am Wendy and sailing on the 12 Feb Allure. Join our roll call. We are going to meet at the Sky Bar deck 16 right after mustard Drill for sail away.

Breakfast and lunch are servered in the Main Dining Room on sea days. They also have a special lunch buffet there one day.

Boarding will begin around 11:15 am. Doors open for check-in at around 10 am.

They do have some dance lessons available. Some are at the Aqua theater. Check your Cruise Compass. These are free.

Thank you for the information and the welcome. We're very excited. As I was shoveling my driveway this morning I kept saying over and over: "Cruise ship. Cruise ship."

I'm from Halifax, too.

Forgot to mention that there are some awesome hot tubs on the Allure - two hang over the side of the ship and are HUGE.

Just keep the driveway clear so you can get to the airport. :) BTW, hope you are going down a day ahead.

Kathy

Thank you to everyone for your helpful responses. I tried to make a reservation for dinner on the first night out that linked with two other couples with whom we're travelling but was unable to do so. I inserted their names and their reservation numbers but it seemed to have no effect. Ended up with only a reservation for ourselves. I tried to phone RCCL but got tired of being stuck on hold. My wife is going to try again (she's more patient than I). Also found that dining times from 6 p.m. until about 8 were booked solid. Is that common?

Thank you to everyone for your helpful responses. I tried to make a reservation for dinner on the first night out that linked with two other couples with whom we're travelling but was unable to do so. I inserted their names and their reservation numbers but it seemed to have no effect. Ended up with only a reservation for ourselves. I tried to phone RCCL but got tired of being stuck on hold. My wife is going to try again (she's more patient than I). Also found that dining times from 6 p.m. until about 8 were booked solid. Is that common?

Once you get on board with your friends just go to wherever you made your reservation for dinner and you should have no problem adding two couples (first night not generally sold out). Yes, it is common that the earlier dining is booked solid; more people are switching to it. Go to the dining room when you board (you will need all of your party there or at least one of each couple as their SeaPass information is needed) and you will find them set up to help you. The earlier you get there the more chances you have of getting early dining.

If you still can't get early dining then you could consider the option of My Time Dining (gratuities must be paid at the time of setting this option up).

I understand you frustration being on hold; are you using 1-800-529-6918?

Best wishes for happy results.

Kathy:)

Once you get on board with your friends just go to wherever you made your reservation for dinner and you should have no problem adding two couples (first night not generally sold out). Yes, it is common that the earlier dining is booked solid; more people are switching to it. Go to the dining room when you board (you will need all of your party there or at least one of each couple as their SeaPass information is needed) and you will find them set up to help you. The earlier you get there the more chances you have of getting early dining.

If you still can't get early dining then you could consider the option of My Time Dining (gratuities must be paid at the time of setting this option up).

I understand you frustration being on hold; are you using 1-800-529-6918?

Best wishes for happy results.

Kathy:)

Thank you for the information. We are already using My Time dining. The number I called was (800) 398-9819. Is the one you gave the one I should use?

I think I misunderstood My Time Dining. I thought on a cruise ship there were usually only two seatings for supper, early and late. With My Time I thought we would get more choices so I went and booked reservations for every night. Now I'm told we don't need to book at all, just go when we want and we'll be seated fairly quickly, Is that the straight dope or is there usually a longer wait? We are a party of six. Is it safe to cancel my seven reservations and rely on My Time?

Archived