car seat while on the islands

ChickyfromVA

Wait till you put your kids on the bus... TERRIFYING! No seat belts in the buses in Virginia.

Good luck whatever you choose. :)

We live in NYC! We walk everywhere and our kids don't get licenses! There have to be upsides to the crazy cost of living, right?

Ah, a car-seat thread. You just gotta love 'em! :D

We're facing the exact same question as the OP, the only difference being that the kids in question are 5-1/2 and 3-1/2. What to do? We've already ruled out those safari buses on St. Thomas. Even before the recent accident, they just struck me as too unsafe for my comfort. So we've decided to restrict ourselves to what can be done at the port area.

On St. Maarten, we'll be hiring a private van to take us around. The tour operator (Bernard's Tours) said that the vehicle will have seat belts. But what about shoulder harnesses? Without them, there would be no point in bringing the booster seats.

What to do? On the one hand, we always use the boosters and belts at home, and I believe that they are very beneficial. I myself have been wearing seat belts since I started driving -- every time, without fail, long before it was the law. And if I didn't bring the boosters, and the kids were hurt (or worse) in an accident, could I ever forgive myself?

But then again, the risk of anything bad happening on any one specific car ride is miniscule. Yes, people die in car accidents. But millions of people (myself included) survived their childhoods without ever once wearing a seat belt. At what point do we just take a chance? Would just using a lap belt, without a shoulder harness and without a booster, be sufficient for kids the ages of mine?

I don't have the answers, and I haven't decided what we're going to do -- bring the booster seats, or just use the van's seat belts without the boosters. If anyone can give me specifics as to what to expect, seat belt-wise, from Bernard's, I'd be grateful.

Here's a good link that explains the differences between 2 point (lap) and three point seatbelts for children:

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/lapbelts.aspx

If you are sure there are only 2 point belts and this is the only port you will be using a van (versus a bus), then there's no point of bringing the boosters, since their sole purpose is to position the shoulder part of the belt.

My own personal opinion is that a 2 point belt does provide some protection to young children, i.e. it prevents them from being ejected from the vehicle. My main concern would be spinal and head injuries, as it is the head and neck that are furthest from the pivot point (the hips), still relatively heavy in the 3-4yr old compared to their body and the resulting injuries cause lifelong impairment of function.

It's not 300 in 100 years because it's per thousand and it's each year. So the population there is 571000. Each year about 1700 die. In 100 years it would be 170,000. But I don't think you can extrapolate it to mean that because of all the change in 100 years (you're right about them being a youngish population and that number will go up). The number only means as of now, 3/1000 people die per year. It isn't saying anything about 100 years from now. For the US, we have a population of 307,000,000 and each year about 2,150,000 die.

Thanks for that. On the Solomon Islands' exceptionally skewed population density, the figures do work - they only have 40,000 over 65's in a population of 570,000. Even so, it's only just over 2,000 deaths in total, 300 of whom are infant deaths, per year. And the population went up by 25% in 10 years. I'd be interested to see sometihng like a 100-year record of these stats - does the CIA site go back that far? I haven't explored it in detail.

When we cruised with our DS who was 18 months we just didn't see bringing the car seat as an option. Between our luggage and stroller we barely had enough hands as it is. Also, I don't know where we would have put the car seat in the cabin (maybe they can store it for you?)

I did a lot of research and did the best I could. For our stops - there was likely not going to be seatbelts at one of the ports. Our tour was on a small bus ride to a catamaran. When we got there, it was confirmed - no seatbelts. For two of our stops - one being St Maarten, we did a private tour and were able to get a carseat with the tour. Look up Joyce Prince on these boards. She is excellent and will do whatever you want her to do - even if you just want to go to the beach and shop - it is worthwile to see if she is free. She can provide you with a car seat or you can bring yours - her vehicle is new, clean and had seatbelts. Another port we did a boat tour that left directly from the pier.

When we cruised with our DS who was 18 months we just didn't see bringing the car seat as an option. Between our luggage and stroller we barely had enough hands as it is. Also, I don't know where we would have put the car seat in the cabin (maybe they can store it for you?)

We travel with two boys, who were 4 and 2 when we started travelling. That first year we had two car seats, the next two trips we've had one car seat and a booster, plus our luggage. It can be done.

Car seats fit perfectly on the bottom of the closet of NCL balcony and mini suite rooms.

The only way I can ever see myself travelling without car seats is if we drive to port and only pllan on walking tours in port. Or when my children are old and tall enough not to use them.

FWIW I posted the original question in this thread on a car seat forum I frequent. Interesting difference in perspective.

We travel with two boys' date=' who were 4 and 2 when we started travelling. That first year we had two car seats, the next two trips we've had one car seat and a booster, plus our luggage. It can be done.

Car seats fit perfectly on the bottom of the closet of NCL balcony and mini suite rooms.

The only way I can ever see myself travelling without car seats is if we drive to port and only pllan on walking tours in port. Or when my children are old and tall enough not to use them.

FWIW I posted the original question in this thread on a car seat forum I frequent. Interesting difference in perspective.[/quote']

Can I ask how you manage at the airport? We had trouble with our suitcases, carry-ons and stroller as it was - and we were dropped right off at the gate. We had a balcony stateroom on the SOS and there was no room for a car seat unless we left it on the balcony. Our stroller was folded up and left on the couch along with our bags that we used in port and our diaper supplies that did not fit anywhere.

I agree on safe traveling - w hich is why I did a lot of research on this board.

Can I ask how you manage at the airport? We had trouble with our suitcases, carry-ons and stroller as it was - and we were dropped right off at the gate. We had a balcony stateroom on the SOS and there was no room for a car seat unless we left it on the balcony. Our stroller was folded up and left on the couch along with our bags that we used in port and our diaper supplies that did not fit anywhere.

I agree on safe traveling - w hich is why I did a lot of research on this board.

It isn't easy and we had to practice before leaving. Now with a car seat and booster we have DH carry the car seat over his shoulder with a strap attached to the LATCH bar (I have a contact at Transport Canada who advised me this is the best way to carry a car seat) with a rolling carry on. I have the two kids, a backpack and duffel bag with the booster. Each child has a small backpack for toys, snacks etc. We can actually manage all the luggage ourselves now, DH gives the rolling carry on to our oldest (who is almost 7) and pulls two suitcases, I carry DS2 in the Ergo, backpack on my front, with another rolling suitcase with the duffel bag slung over the handle. I hate strollers when traveling, we used to use it to transport the car seat, with DS2 in the ergo, but found it was more of a pain than anything. There are also some nifty gadgets that attach a car seat to a rolling carry on, whe the child can sit in the car seat so effectively turning the suitcase into a stroller.

We're not fashionable doing any of this, but it works for us. I find practicing before we go is the key, because you need a good plan that can be put into action quickly at the airport, port and basically anywhere else in between!

We've lugged the carseat on 3 cruises (for my almost 3YO) and have never had trouble finding a cab where we can use it. Last month in St. Thomas, we took a taxi to Magen's bay and it was a Toyota Sienna minivan so no trouble to install at all, and we just arranged for the same driver to come back and pick us up and she let us leave it in the back of her van, so no lugging involved. In St. Maarten, we always rent a car and so we only have to carry the carseat and booster (for the very petite 7YO) to the end of the pier where the car rental booth is located (or sometimes the rental companies will provide a carseat for a small fee). In Nassau, we usually either stay on the ship or walk as far as Starbucks and back, so have never needed it there :)

Can you tell me more about this? How hard was it to get the Sienna (or similar) taxi? Is there a separate cab line from the open-air safari taxis? Did you pay her extra to come back for you at a pre-determined time? If you didn't have pre-made arrangements, were there acceptable taxis waiting? We are making our plans for St Thomas and would like to go to Magens but will not take our 3-yr and 5-yr without carseats. I have heard that it is hard to get anything other than the open-air taxis. Otherwise, we may plan to take a sail on the Fury (since it departs from Havensight) and maybe a trip up the hill to Paradise Point. :)

Can you tell me more about this? How hard was it to get the Sienna (or similar) taxi? Is there a separate cab line from the open-air safari taxis? Did you pay her extra to come back for you at a pre-determined time? If you didn't have pre-made arrangements, were there acceptable taxis waiting? We are making our plans for St Thomas and would like to go to Magens but will not take our 3-yr and 5-yr without carseats. I have heard that it is hard to get anything other than the open-air taxis. Otherwise, we may plan to take a sail on the Fury (since it departs from Havensight) and maybe a trip up the hill to Paradise Point. :)

As soon as we came through the gate (from the secure area, to the public area of the port) there was a taxi dispatcher and they were loading up the large cube vans which were all waiting in a line (I don't recall but there may have been the safari vans there as well, but there was just the one dispatcher). We just told him we needed something that we could install the carseat in, and so he waved over the Sienna who was parked a few spots behind. Whole thing took less than 5 minutes.It did not cost anything extra for her to come back and pick us up (though we did tip well as she was lovely). She gave us her cell number in case we decided we wanted to leave early (and said we could also use it to pre-arrange for next time :)). It's Winnie at 3404747110 if you wanted to give her a try... A few years ago we had a similar experience - that time we put the carseat in one of the cube vans that still had a few seat belts intact and again, only waited about 5 minutes. I really don't understand why people are so adamant that's it's "impossible" to find a proper taxi - it both St. Thomas and St. Martin we've never had a problem...

I really don't understand why people are so adamant that's it's "impossible" to find a proper taxi - it both St. Thomas and St. Martin we've never had a problem...

I couldn't agree more. We have always found seatbelts wherever we have gone, including Cuba, Mexico, St Thomas, Sint Maartin and Roatan. Sometimes seatbelts were harder to find in Florida than in the islands :confused:

You just need to ask.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback! We will trudge our way off the ship with carseats in tow, and even if we have to wait for a suitable taxi we are cool with that. I will negotiate a return pickup, and will pack Winnie's number as a backup option. ;)

Not sure how many of us survived all these years; not only did we ride around in the back of pick-up's but we rode sitting on the sides of the bed.

OK so I put my kids in car seats when they were younger but didn't take the seats on oversea vacations.

Statistics lie; I can find a stat to back either side of most any claim and so can you...all it takes is a little google time.

Not sure how many of us survived all these years; not only did we ride around in the back of pick-up's but we rode sitting on the sides of the bed.

OK so I put my kids in car seats when they were younger but didn't take the seats on oversea vacations.

Statistics lie; I can find a stat to back either side of most any claim and so can you...all it takes is a little google time.

Really, we're going back to this old argument? The ones that died aren't here to speak for themselves. That has to be the worst argument ever. You may also want a better source than Google for your information, plus a spell and grammar check would be nice.

Stats say what you want them to say, they don't lie. Three university degrees have taught me that fact well.

Everyone makes different choices, it is about knowing the risks and choosing to accept the consequences.

I am a librarian. I find authoritative information for a living. Don't talk to me about "google time," sir.

I am a librarian. I find authoritative information for a living. Don't talk to me about "google time," sir.

If you can find authoritative information on injury and/or fatality rates of young children (per million miles driven, or something like that) before car seats were mandatory, and after, this would help put the various comments on this thread in perspective.

Not trying to be snarky; I think it would be genuinely helpful to know, so that we can make our own risk assessments armed with the facts.

Archived