Jewel wi-fi in staterooms

Dawnmcl123

The network connector in the cabin will be a female Ethernet socket, needing a male Ethernet connector. I'm not sure what you mean by a USB cable, but maybe you have one that converts Male Ethernet to Male serial (USB)???

The OP needs an Ethernet Cable (Cat 5) to connect to the ships internet in the room. It looks like this.

1561_straight_ethernet.jpg

Even if your laptop has Wifi it wouldn't hurt to toss an Ethernet cable in your laptop bag with you in case your laptop can't find the signal or maintain a good connection with the on board Wifi.

I am guessing that folks mispoke when they said a USB cable. That will NOT connect you to the internet. You need an internet cable.

Back to the original question. Some cabins have an ethernet port that you can connect to. Some have wife available. If you signal is weak, and you are paying by the minute, it is costing you extra. Just a warning.

If you are going to need internet, ALWAYS take an internet cable with you.

It's also possible to borrow ethernet cable from internet cafe, albeit most of the cables are quite poor condition-wise (bent/broken locking teeth etc) so I prefer bringing my own (longer) cable with me.

The internet is fastest (best value for money) when ship is in port or anchored and much slower while on sea. Either way, most of the time goes waiting. :p

It's also possible to borrow ethernet cable from internet cafe, albeit most of the cables are quite poor condition-wise (bent/broken locking teeth etc) so I prefer bringing my own (longer) cable with me.

The internet is fastest (best value for money) when ship is in port or anchored and much slower while on sea. Either way, most of the time goes waiting. :p

Yes, you can borrow a cable, if there are any left. Of course, if somehow you get stuck in a hotel someplace, you will wish you carried one.

As to speed - the reason for that is everybody else is ashore and very few are using the uplink a the same time. Certain times of the day or night will be better than others. All depends how many other people are jammed into the information superhighway uplink.

... Some have wife available. If you signal is weak, and you are paying by the minute, it is costing you extra. Just a warning.

:eek:

WOW! There might be a lot of single guys trying to line up for this, so if you're interested you might want to find out which cabin number, and book those quickly... unless, of course, your signal is weak... :p:p:p

sorry. I couldn't help myself.

If you're like me and have a Macbook Air, which has no ethernet connection, there are adapters that will make an ethernet cable connect to a USB. I did not know this. I asked my DH where our super long cable was and then realized, uh, duh, I have no ethernet connection on my computer. The things you learn here, directly and sometimes indirectly.:o

Archived