Category 4J Pros & Cons?

mattcj89

I'm looking at cruises out of New Orleans on Conquest in September and my Carnival PVP recommended an Interior Room w/ Picture Window (Category 4J). It seems like a good deal, but there is very little info about this category on the web. Does anyone have any personal experience in one of these rooms? According to the deck plan map, I'd be right above the Theater - how noisy would that be during shows? I'm also worried about hearing the deck door slam shut throughout the night (that seems to be the biggest complaint that I'm seeing). Any advise would be appreciated as I'm trying to decide between an Oceanview or 4J room. Thanks in advance! :)

Actually, those rooms on deck 6 will be above the backstage area of the theater. It shouldn't be too much of a problem, especially since shows end around 11:30. In those rooms, you need to keep the shades shut at night. People on that public deck would be able to see into the room, but they can't see in during the day. The public deck outside the window has a solid barrier in front of it, which will block most of your ocean view. You'll probably see some water and the sky. People seem to love these rooms. That door slamming closed is probably just a rare thing that they think is only fair to let people know. Most of them don't see it as a bad enough problem to not get the room.

Still, if the price difference isn't much, you might as well get an oceanview room. Those will be bigger rooms: 220 sq.ft. compared to 185. And the view is of just the ocean, and not of a public deck. Just don't get one that's right below the galley on deck 2. The galley is more likely to send noise to a room below/above it than the backstage area of the theater.

From what I've read, some of these are also HC rooms and therefore don't have sofas and you could get bumped. That was the deal breaker for me, tho they're a great price. If your TA or PVP has a particular cabin in mind, just google it to see if anyone's made any comments.

On our Splendor cruise we had a 4j room and loved it. Standing up you can see everything. The price was the same as interior. I never heard a door slam and rarely saw anyone out on the "secret deck". When underway it is quite windy so no one would really want oto be out there. Would book it again in a heartbeat!

I had an end 4J on the Liberty, deck 10 - below the gym. On these boards I read over n over that it would be noisy and I'd hear the gym. I'm a very light sleeper, and never heard anything above me. As Bubba'sCruisin mentioned, never heard door slamming either. And I was the cabin closest to the door.

The "secret deck" would get a few people out there at sail aways, but during sea days, it was like my own private serenity deck.

I'd book it again in a heart beat. It was an HA room, no sofa, two side tables and two chairs though. I saw no cons to having this room.

2342481670102635822S500x500Q85.jpg

2423080150102635822S500x500Q85.jpg

the pole was the only odd thing about this room. LOL

2636954490102635822S500x500Q85.jpg

2356854880102635822S500x500Q85.jpg

2011112330102635822S500x500Q85.jpg

incase you're wondering if people can see in, they can at night if you have a light on in your room.

In reference to the handicapped rooms issue, there are a few of these 4Js that are, but about half are not. For the OP, on deck 6, the 2 outside rooms are handicapped, and the 4 middle ones are not. So unless you are handicapped, you should book one of the 4 middle ones. Deck 7 is the same setup.

You can see what's handicapped by what's highlighted in blue on here:

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/pdf/ADAConquestClass.pdf

For anyone else, you can check the other classes of ships from this page:

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/EMB_guest_specials_requirements.aspx

I'd book it again in a heart beat. It was an HA room, no sofa, two side tables and two chairs though. I saw no cons to having this room.

The 'con' to having this room is that it is meant for Handicapped persons in wheelchairs!!!!

We were in 6201 on the Magic last summer and loved the easy access to our "secret" deck without the expense of a balcony. We didn't hear any noise from the theater below or the doors slamming, but we did hear chairs scraping on the deck outside our window after we'd gone to bed. Not sure if it was the crew straightening up, or passengers. We also had some noise and shaking when we were pulling into port, but it was time to get up any way!

The 'con' to having this room is that it is meant for Handicapped persons in wheelchairs!!!!

Not all of them are. The OP was merely asking about the 4J category which I gave my opinion. I realize the HA rooms are a hot topic, but those who are booked into one shouldn't be made to feel that they have to justify it to a message board.

We were in 6201 on the Magic last summer and loved the easy access to our "secret" deck without the expense of a balcony. We didn't hear any noise from the theater below or the doors slamming, but we did hear chairs scraping on the deck outside our window after we'd gone to bed. Not sure if it was the crew straightening up, or passengers. We also had some noise and shaking when we were pulling into port, but it was time to get up any way!

We have just booked this room on the Breeze for my Mum and from what I have read it will be the same as the Magic. Does it have a King bed or is it only the singles that can't be pushed together. Would appreciate any info you could provide.

Kind regards.

Just got back from 1/21/12 Liberty cruise. Had cabin 9202. Pros: no engine noise or vibration, movement was not any more than any other place on the ship, secret deck was nice when not windy, large bathroom, on the lido deck, no noise from other cabins (and no noise from exterior doors) window was nice for sunlight in the morning.

Cons: Closet space was less than reg room, still a bit of a walk to all the food, MDR seating due to a switch was the "Silver", long walk to & back from dinner.

I would book a 4J anytime again !

We have just booked this room on the Breeze for my Mum and from what I have read it will be the same as the Magic. Does it have a King bed or is it only the singles that can't be pushed together. Would appreciate any info you could provide.

Kind regards.

6201 on Dream class does allow the 2 twins to be pushed together (or kept separate, whichever is wanted). The 4Js that do not allow the twins to be pushed together will have an 8-sided star symbol in the room, on the deck plans. Those types of 4Js are handicapped, but not all HC rooms are like that.

Not all of them are. The OP was merely asking about the 4J category which I gave my opinion. I realize the HA rooms are a hot topic, but those who are booked into one shouldn't be made to feel that they have to justify it to a message board.

I never said all 4J's are HC. Please go back and re read my 1st post.

My 2nd post was not even meant for the OP. Please see who my post was meant for, I quoted them. It is unknown if Carnival put these clients into this cabin or if they booked it but since they said they would book it again it seems like it.

It's really frustrating when able bodied people say they loved their HC room, and say they would book it again, Then post pictures and tell others to do so. Since there are only around 20 HC cabins on the whole ship they should be left for those who need them to be able to cruise.

We wanted to bring my wheelchair bound SIL on the Liberty with us. She needs a HC room and there are so few of them. ALL of the 4J's were booked and guess-what, the Special Services dept WAS NOT going to move anyone...... so she could not go. It's not always true that one will be moved, and yes, it is a hot topic so I really wont say what I think of folks that book these for the perks when there are those that really need them or can other wise not cruise.

We have selected another sailing and ship but it was quite a shame. :confused:

We wanted to bring my wheelchair bound SIL on the Liberty with us. She needs a HC room and there are so few of them. ALL of the 4J's were booked and guess-what, the Special Services dept WAS NOT going to move anyone...... so she could not go. It's not always true that one will be moved, and yes, it is a hot topic so I really wont say what I think of folks that book these for the perks when there are those that really need them or can other wise not cruise.

We have selected another sailing and ship but it was quite a shame. :confused:

That is just plain WRONG, I would have reported Carnival!!

We have had 4J cabins a few times and really think it's a great deal. It's cheaper than an ocean view and has quick access to the open deck in front. We try to get one on the Lido deck as we like to lay out by the pool on sea days, so no need to use the stairs or wait for an elevator. We always try to book non handicap cabins as well.

6201 on Dream class does allow the 2 twins to be pushed together (or kept separate, whichever is wanted). The 4Js that do not allow the twins to be pushed together will have an 8-sided star symbol in the room, on the deck plans. Those types of 4Js are handicapped, but not all HC rooms are like that.

great, thank you for the reply.

• 3 months later...
Just got back from 1/21/12 Liberty cruise. Had cabin 9202. Pros: no engine noise or vibration, movement was not any more than any other place on the ship, secret deck was nice when not windy, large bathroom, on the lido deck, no noise from other cabins (and no noise from exterior doors) window was nice for sunlight in the morning.

Cons: Closet space was less than reg room, still a bit of a walk to all the food, MDR seating due to a switch was the "Silver", long walk to & back from dinner.

I would book a 4J anytime again !

Any cabin pictures you would care to share? I'm booked in this cabin in December... and would love to get a glimpse at the exact setup. Thanks!!

Archived