Safety drill on Spirit and Celebration

With the current emphasis on safety I have a concern about escape routes on these ships. If you have a cabin right at the stern of the ship, primarily single cabins, I think the indicated escape rout is toward the stern of the ship through crew areas. I seem to remember a watertight door forward of the cabins.

This is my concern, you are meant to follow the indicated route but can't check out the route through the crew areas because it is off limits. If the worse happens and the watertight door is closed you will have to use that route but won't know the way once you go through the crew door.

I am on Spirit this summer in one of those cabins!.

May I suggest that you express your concerns to the ships safety officer once on board (contact reception) who will be more than happy to walk you through the escape route, especially now in the wake of the costa tragedy.

Not sure about this particular issue but just returned from Egypt on a cruise and stay having arrived on the Celebration on 19th January. I have to say that I have never seen such rigourous safety briefings on any cruise including Thomsons - the Concordia incident has really shaken things up (quite rightly) and we witnessed several crew training episodes including a full scale drill (for staff only) including launching life boats and inflation rafts which lasted most of one morning during a port day.

Archived