Tipping

Young-Cruiser

.......................................Long gone are the days when the tips part of the cost of a cruise was really small. The "suggested tips" are growing at an alarming rate. On one hand, the adds tell us how cheap a cruise is, and the lines tell the workers that they can make big money by taking care of tourists.....................................

Really? An alarming rate? Really? Over 15 years the suggested tips have gone from $10/day all the way up to $11.50/day. On a 7 day, that's about the cost of one premium drink. Give me a break!

I tip the person who handles the luggage and I tip the room service a few dollars. Other than that, I just pay the prepaid gratuities and I do my best not to be a needy passenger.

Me too.

This is the perfect answer. Americans make such a big deal out of tipping. Europeans are much more low key about this. Rick Steves, who is a travel expert says, "Living over here (Europe) now, I realize that Americans, or anyone, doing things according to their own custom without bothering to ask what's appropriate, are really quite offensive, or they think we are "mugs" (easily taken advantage of)."

u know what makes me angry bigcraig? If for any reason someone didnt tip the porter, whether the reason is that they dont want to, or forgot, or were new to cruising and didnt know or think about it, or whatever it may be, we can assume something may happen to our bags. Broken items or lost bags for example. Thats crap! We have auto tips set up and plan to tip the porter as well, but it really sucks that if someone doesnt, they could have something like that happen. Just do the job, and hope u get a tip, and if u dont, that doesnt give someone the right to destroy someones property.

u know what makes me angry bigcraig? If for any reason someone didnt tip the porter, whether the reason is that they dont want to, or forgot, or were new to cruising and didnt know or think about it, or whatever it may be, we can assume something may happen to our bags. Broken items or lost bags for example. Thats crap! We have auto tips set up and plan to tip the porter as well, but it really sucks that if someone doesnt, they could have something like that happen. Just do the job, and hope u get a tip, and if u dont, that doesnt give someone the right to destroy someones property.

i've never tipped the guys whom i carried the bags to, and have never had a problem. coming off the ship, only if i hire someone, do i tip them.

Bigcraig commented that if u didnt tip the porter, there is a gap in between the pier and the boat, and it could get "Lost". Ive never heard of it happening either, but if it does, its ridiculous.

i never tip for scare tactics. i tip for service.

We usually give the porter $5-$10, room service $3-$4 and we give our server an extra $20. Many times on our last cruise the steward would be cleaning rooms and the doors would be open. Several of the rooms looked like a tornado had gone through :eek: I can't imagine not tipping him a decent amount for having to clean up a disaster area every day. Now that I'm thinking about it we should have tipped him.

We are the type of people though that put our clothes away at the beginning of the cruise, keep them folded nicely and even fold our dirty clothes rather than throwing them all over the floor like a lot of people. We kept everything arranged nicely just like when we're at home. We went with friends on our last cruise. They didn't share this idea and they don't share it at home either :eek: We shared a hotel room with them the night before the cruise and you'd think you would be "tidy" with other people in the room...no they weren't. Clothes were thrown everywhere, trash was everywhere, dirty towels etc. GROSS.

• 2 weeks later...
I thought pre-paid was just for the room steward. Is it also for the dining room?

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $11.50 per guest, per day as follows(our recommended guideline effective voyages departing December 1, 2011 and onward):

$ 3.70 - Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.80 - Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 2.00 - Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to kitchen, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members.

Before Dec 1, 2011:

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $10.00 per guest, per day (our recommended guideline) as follows:

$ 3.50 Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.50 Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 1.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff

Our Staff is totally committed to exceed your expectations in every way possible. If you are not satisfied with the service you receive, we encourage you to contact the Guest Services desk while onboard. This will allow us to address your concerns in a timely and appropriate fashion. At your discretion, you may adjust the gratuities at any time while onboard. Gratuities will be deemed undisputed unless a request to modify is received prior to disembarking the ship.

For beverage purchases, fifteen percent of the bill is automatically added to the Sail & Sign charge. Room Service staff may be tipped as service is rendered. Tipping your Maître d’ is at your discretion, based upon the service you receive.

I am curious when the raise to $10 a day happenned. Earlier inthis thread, someone said 15 years. Just wondering in anyone knows.

I tip the bag guy on the shore before the cruise $10. Not saying the bags will get lost, but $10 is cheap to know they won't.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks. For a second, I kind of felt like a bad person for not wanting to tip.

Also, are you sure that the only way they get paid is my tip? This is for room service.

You should always tip room service a couple of bucks. All the rest is included in your pre paid tips.

Archived