Good Site to Buy Swimsuits?

I read a message a week or two ago about a website that several cc members had used to purchase swimsuits. I can't find that post again, and searching google doesn't reveal anything familiar. I would appreciate it if someone can refresh my memory. I realize there are many online possibilities, so I welcome other suggestions as well. My wife is looking for a new swimsuit, and isn't having any luck in the regular stores. Thanks for your help.

Was going to second (or is it third) the recommendation for Lands End. Talbots also had some nice ones in their last catelogue. Good luck! It sure is more pleasant shopping for a swimsuit at home.

(I remember a friend who worked part time at Steinmart telling me that the reason that they don't sell bathing suits is that Mr. Stein didn't want women leaving his store in a bad mood.)

I have to say I really envy anyone that can buy a bathing suit from a catolog or online. How is this possible?

I personally, have to try on EVERY suit in the store. And usually walk away with nothing.

I swear every manufacturer has a different idea of what size a twelve is.

One 12 will fit on top but have a baggy bottom. Another will fit in the seat, but then I am spilling over the top.

So what is the secret?

celtic

I purchased swimsuits that are in the exact same style as a favorite swimsuit of mine. When I got them, I tried them on -- you are able to return them if they don't fit. It worked out fine for me. I was a little nervous at first, because generally I don't like buying -any- sorts of clothing off of mail order or the internet... but this time it ended up being worth the risk :)

Aha! That is sensible.

Will keep that in mind. It would be so nice to try them on in the privacy of my own home.

I am sure the people peeping at the customers in the dressing rooms are laughing their butts off as I explode out of the top of one suit after the other.

celtic

I like to buy suits on eBay. Just make sure the seller has a high feedback rating and that the items are "new with tags". Search for the brands you like in order to narrow down the selection, e.g., speedo, leilani, tommy bahama, etc., and choose brands you know so that they will probably fit. I've been pretty lucky this way, and saved $$.

I bought all of my swim wear for my last cruise on Victoria's Secret website. They have tons of styles to fit all shapes and most sizes ( they do not carry above a size 14-16 though). If you shop on the website they also have a clearance area with some pretty good deals :)

I have to say I really envy anyone that can buy a bathing suit from a catolog or online. How is this possible?

I personally, have to try on EVERY suit in the store. And usually walk away with nothing.

One 12 will fit on top but have a baggy bottom. Another will fit in the seat, but then I am spilling over the top.

So what is the secret?

celtic

Ditto! I just spent 2 weeks, and $367.00 on swimsuits, 3 of them.....but I like them. It was really hard for me to find one that I liked on me. I could never buy from an online catalog.

Aha! That is sensible.

Will keep that in mind. It would be so nice to try them on in the privacy of my own home.

I am sure the people peeping at the customers in the dressing rooms are laughing their butts off as I explode out of the top of one suit after the other.

celtic

Try going to Helen Hirsch in West Orange. It's on Route 10 (Mt. Pleasant Avenue) very close to the intersection of Pleasant Valley Way. It is the BEST store ever. They have tons and tons of swimsuits and the women there can look at your body type and recommend the best suit for you. It's not cheap, but you will not be disappointed. Everyone I've recommended this store to has raved about it.

So what is the secret?

celtic

I have to admit that my secret to ordering Land's End suits online isn't very creative.

The first time I ordered, I bought about 8 different styles in 3 sizes each. Then I did a private fitting at home. Oh yes, it was so fun--spilling out of some, "swimming" in others. But I found the styles and sizes that work for me.

Some of their styles are very consistent from year to year. I can order those without worry. If I see a new or different style I want to try, I order it in 3 sizes, try them, and then decide if the style is right for me.

It's even easier now that I can return Land's End items at our local Sears.

I have no problem paying the shipping, even if I return all but 1 or 2 items. The time and energy it saves me, as well as the cost of gas and hassle of parking, is well worth it.

Anyway, that's how I do it. :)

beachchick

Another Victoria's Secret fan! They hold up really well and you order tops by bra size so it helps finding the suit that fits. They have great customer service too. They had sent me the wrong color so they overnighted me the correct one and refunded the shipping for me to send the wrong one back.

Try going to Helen Hirsch in West Orange. It's on Route 10 (Mt. Pleasant Avenue) very close to the intersection of Pleasant Valley Way. It is the BEST store ever. They have tons and tons of swimsuits and the women there can look at your body type and recommend the best suit for you. It's not cheap, but you will not be disappointed. Everyone I've recommended this store to has raved about it.

Just got back on this thread and want to thank you for the tip. I have written it down and will check it out.

celtic

Archived