How long to wait for Free Birth Check

Lady Reeler

I had the free berth for our group credited at finalization, before final payment had been completed. We simply sent in less money at final payment for the group.

Did you book through a travel agent? If so, they can let you know the time it usually takes for their particular agency to receive such a re-imbursement or if it can be accomplished in the manner I described above. I do not know if you have sailed yet, or if not, how far out you are, etc.

I was told it is always sent 4-6 weeks after the cruise. The first time, I don't think it was that long. The second time, I had to keep calling about it. It took at least 6 weeks. The first time, I booked directly through NCL and the second time was through an agent.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;7;4;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until Bermuda on Norwegian Crown

Sunward II 1991

Westward 1993

Norway 1996

Imagination 1998

Norway 2002

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

Wheather or not you get one depends on what was agreed on at the beginning. The only guests that count toward the count are the first and second passengers in a cabin so if you have several triple or quad rooms you might not have enough. If you worked with a TA the bonus is actually paid to them for handling the group and they have the option of offering you some of it.

Also, oftentimes this type of thing is not mentioned until later in the reservation, in case you have a lot of cancellations and fall below the amount required for the free berth. I think this "Tour Conductor" credit is forwarded to the passengers by most travel agencies.

Thanks for the info. We did book through Costco Travel so I am not sure if they pass along any incenitives. I only booked a total of 6 rooms with all but one of them being a quad. Would this be enough?

heididun,

With my NCL group booking, it is book 8 cabins (minimum double occupancy) and get one free berth on top of that. This translates to 16 first and second passengers booked gives you 1 free berth for the 17th person. It continues on, 32 first and second passengers gives you the 33rd and 34th free. I believe this is the standard, written policy, but Lady Reeler has stated hers differently. It is pretty confusing, so a lot of agents may not mention it up front because people often think they get a free berth for every 15 or 16 people, but that first/second requirement gets in there. With the number of cabins you have, you would not qualify for the "Tour Conductor" credit.

P.S. The free berth refers to cruise fare only. The free tour conductor must still pay Port and Government taxes.

P.P.S.

With our group, we are splitting up the tour conductor credit over the entire group, which can get a bit confusing. I kind of wish I hadn't mentioned it at first, as some folks didn't have the "fine print" down and were confused that we did not get more (3rd 4th passengers included in their count, etc). I might save the idea of a credit as a surprise close to sailing if I get the great opportunity to sail with a group again.

The way our TA explained this, is for each group, they are given "points". These points can be used for things like a free berth, bottle of champaigne, group picture, chocolates, etc. For our last group cruise, we booked 9 cabins. For each cabin, we received the following group ammenities: free 8x10 group photo for each cabin, $50 onboard credit per cabin, chocolate covered strawberries one night per cabin, a group cocktail party with unlimited free drinks for 1 hour, and 1 free berth. What a deal! NCL has specials where certain cruises are awarded more points. On the Crown July 4, for example, they were giving away a free berth for only 5 cabins, but only if you booked during the time of the special. What we have found, too, is if you are in groups, you don't necessarily get the best price if you're getting a lot of ammenities, so it's best to price the cruises both as a group and as individuals. If you're not getting enough ammenities, it's sometimes better not to book as a group. We book through Cruises Only. Our TA's name is Sandy, ext. 55237. She's a great help. If you call, tell her Amy O'Dell from Ohio referred you!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;7;4;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until Bermuda on Norwegian Crown

Sunward II 1991

Westward 1993

Norway 1996

Imagination 1998

Norway 2002

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

laodell,

that WAS a great deal. That must have been a sailing that offered quite a few amenity points!!! I think it would take about 8 for those amenities, plus some $$ kicked in by your TA for the party with unlimited drinks (as that is not one of the standard group amenities, but can be purchased separately). Our upcoming cruise was alotted only 2 amenity points, so you can see the wide range. Don't feel bad if you don't qualify for all the goodies Amy's group did!! What a cool jackpot!!

Archived