Where to See the Ruins - Costa Maya or Belize ?

mitchmagi

Hi all

Which has the most impressive ruin excursion ?

Chaccoben Ruins in Costa Maya or Lamanai / New River Safari in Belize ?

Thanks

I have only been on the Lamanai/New River Safari excursion. The boat ride was very enjoyable with some nice wildlife sightings. The included lunch at Lamanai was tasty, the small on-site museum was interesting, and the ruins were very impressive. The jungle setting and two active (and vocal) groups of howler monkeys added to the "Indiana Jones" feel of the tour. Highly recommended!

• 3 weeks later...

I have to agree with Mike 100%....the Lamanai New River Excursion was great. The river ride was exciting...they really open up the boat in certain stretches of the river and all the way back. The ruins are impressive yet manageable. Great lunch and buy some Belikan beer when you get back to the dock. Very tasty. I bought a couple of bottles in Belize City and brought them on board for later that night. It is the only beer brewed in Belize.....

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Altun Ha (?? spell) Very hot. They boasted air conditioned bus, HA. If you are a water person....Do something in the water..it is sooo blue. I regret spending all my time at the ruins then to the dirty city. I am off to a water activity next March in Beliez. The other ruins with jungle seems a better deal.

Just got back from a cruise May 8th that we did the Chaccoben excursion. I have photos posted here ...

http://medalian1.com/cruise/index9.html

Start on that page and keep going (9, 10, 11, etc) I can't remember how many photos we took there. This was booked through carnival and we all had a good time. The other one was a 2 hour bus ride. This was 1 hour.

Hi,

Costa Maya is very beautiful but it can hardly match what Belize has to offer, the people are very nice and the food is good. I was on the lamani trip and had a great time, I went with one of the independent tour operators in an a/c van that was very clean and roomy. I got to see quite a bit of wild life on the river and the hike through the jungle to the mayan temple was worth it.

Most everything looks as if though time stood still and this was really facinating. I was with a group of 13 and we all enjoyed the tour, I would certainly do it again. When you are in BELIZE try to see Phil he is very knowledgeable and flexible so you will be guaranteed an excellent time.

Visit his site at www.seabelize.com

Blast:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

A really interesting tour takes you just outside of San Ignacio, 6kms from the Guatemala border.

A three minute drive from the town takes you to the ruins of Cahal Pech where they have excellent guided tours and a very informative museum. Our guide was one of the 2 young (a few yrs ago) lads who discovered the ruins while playing hooky from school. He now works for/with the Archaeological Institute of Belize.

It is a 1.5-2 hr trip on the bus and they provided refreshments at a stop 30 mins from the ruins. Take lots of water and a hat for the sun even tho' you're in the forest...AND!!!

Go to the loo before you get on the air-condirioned coach as the toilet on our bus was a hole through to the highway.

Ciao for now!!!

We went on the Lamanai & New River Excursion this last week. It was very beautiful but very hot. Even the guide said it was too hot for him. See my entire review of our trip, including my Belize experience here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=184413

Just scroll down to the "Ports" section of my review!

I'm glad I went to see it, but if I am ever in Belize again, I think I will do a water activity! :)

Archived