Newbie questions about embarkment Carnival Famtasy 2-20

Silly3mom

We are driving down from Upstate NY on Sunday the day prior to departure. What time should we arrive at the port to start the baggage drop off, parking process? Any insight would be appreciated we are traveling with 3 young children. So as much info. to make it as easy as possible would be fabulous. SO EXCITED!!! :)

We cruised on the Fantasy this past November and again in January. The first time we arrived at the terminal by 11:15 and did not have one minute to wait. In January we arrive just a little past 11:30 and by the time dropped off our luggage and parked and got inside we had just about a 15 minute wait. Both times very smooth. One suggestion I can give you is to have in hand your travel documents for everyone in the car. This includes your boarding pass. Do not have those documents in another bag tucked away in the trunk. They will walk up to your windows on both sides of the car and if you have everything in order it will be very smooth. We unfortunately was behind a traveler that must have not paid any attention to the instructions that were given as you entered the parking lot, and had to get out of his car and get into the trunk to get his docs out.

We had a great time both times and hope you and your family will do the same!

We have been there several times but we do not have small children with us. So you will probably want to find something more entertaining for them. At Nassau we have taken the water taxi over to Paradise Island and just walked around Atlantis, but most of the time we go to Cabbage beach. It is a nice beach and you can rent chairs and umbrellas but there are no rest rooms. So that can be a problem. There is a beach at the Atlantis that you can go to and different packages available according to what you would like to do. There is an aquarium there and I am sure you children would love that.

Look at the excursions and try to pick out something to do at Freeport. There are some shops where the boat docks and it is a nice little area but about one hour and you have covered it all. You will have to take a taxi to town or anywhere else that you would want to visit. We went to Port Lucaya where there are more of the same shops. I would not suggest that you do that with the children. There is just not much there. Alot of shops but they are all so much alike.

These are not our favorite ports but the water is beautiful and we have always found something to do and had a very enjoyable time.

Your children will probably love the waterpark on the ship. It was never crowded and looked like the kids were have a ball.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask me.

We drove down to Charleston last April from Michigan (about 14 hours) Our original plan was to leave Monday morning, get in late Monday night, get a hotel room with a "park and cruise" package (you can find great deals on google) have Tuesday to explore the city of Charleston, sleep and get on the ship Wednesday.. Well we were antsy, so instead we left Sunday night and drove through the night and had the whole of Monday to spend exploring Charleston.. so glad we did. We saw so much in those two days!! You could see a good majority of it with one day. There are some very fun things to do..even if you just go see the parks and old historic buildings. I think it is the oldest city in the US...We ate at Hyman's Seafood and it was fantastic, also ate at Sticky Fingers BBQ and loved it. There is a very cool aquarium, we did it as adults and loved it. Kids would be thrilled! We also saw dolphins playing in the bay, just off one of the piers. When we figured the difference for the hotel (with the included parking for the cruise duration and a shuttle to and from the hotel) minus the parking fee we would have had to pay at the cruise terminal, I think our room "cost" us 35 dollars a night. And even though we had to drive thru the night, (and I'll admit we were tired for Monday) there was no traffic so it made it a much more enjoyable drive (I would do this especially if I were driving with kids-they sleep most of the ride) Otherwise, you can park at the terminal and you take a shuttle to the terminal area, board the ship at 11:30.

Anyway, so much for THAT lol got carried away... as for things to do.. Freeport is an industrial town, there is not much to do "there" except head to a beach.. you can get a cab (they are lined up right outside of the terminal) to Lucaya Beach (about a 15 minute ride)and just enjoy the kids playing in the sand and water, you can head up the beach a few hundred yards, to Billie Joes for a burger, conch fritters, fries (and maybe an adult beverage :-D ) There is a cute little shopping area for souvenirs and a "must have" slushie shack made with fresh fruit (booze or no booze) There is also Lucayan National Park, which is supposed to be very pretty but I have not been there. I think it is more of a back to nature beautiful hiking trip, they have a kayak tour that goes through there but not good for small children (IMO). It is where Gold Beach is located and I have read it is one of the most beautiful beaches in the Bahamas, but it is quite a distance from the ship.

Nassau has SO many things to do, if you do your research! So many people dislike this port but I love, love, love it. Upcoming cruise will be our third time there. There is a zoo, gardens, the Pirate Museum (a little lame but I liked it lol) the straw market, which might be boring for the kids but a great place for souvenirs , there are a lot of beaches, Atlantis is a very pricey day trip but people love it. There is a place called Blue Lagoon, where you can do Dolphin encounters (also very pricey but a memory of a lifetime, did one at Sea World, well worth the price I paid then) You can climb the Queens Staircase and go to the Fort but lots of walking for kids. If you go to the beach, I would stick with the more touristy ones, for safety's sake. Please read up on safety there, so you know what areas to stick to. The economy has hit the Bahamas hard and there has been an upsurge in pickpocketing, crimes against tourists.

Last time we went to the Sheraton and it was 25 dollars for a day pass, which gave us chairs and pool access and towels. There are the usual water toys to rent, jet skiing if you want to take "adult" turns doing it. Bargain with those guys though. They started out at 90 and I just said no, laid back on my chair and they came back in a bit and offered a lower price and I took it... I paid 65 for a half hour ride.. a fair price... best time I ever had by myself! We caught the Number 10 Jitney there, which cost 1.25 per person each way, a huge savings over taking a cab. The Jitney's are the cheapest way to get around, there are maps of what Number Jitney goes to what locations. They are lined up a few streets away from the cruise terminal. Or you can flag one down and they will stop if they have room. Our upcoming trip, we are going to try Cabbage Beach on Paradise Island but have read there can be an undertow there that has swept grown adults off their feet, so watch the kids if you go there! Ahhh! That was fun remembering that trip! Have a blast!!! My kids were grown by the time we "discovered" cruising.. but we are fully addicted now :) Sorry for the long post!!

We are driving down from Upstate NY on Sunday the day prior to departure. What time should we arrive at the port to start the baggage drop off, parking process? Any insight would be appreciated we are traveling with 3 young children. So as much info. to make it as easy as possible would be fabulous. SO EXCITED!!! :)

Charleston has a different set up than many of the piers...you don't park first, they check your documents and stuff before you can go through and drop off bags and such and then you go to park.

We discovered that there is an early check in-and the time seems to vary from day to day, but when they close that, you have to wait until the regular check in, so I recommend to wait until atleast 11:00 to go there or you will have to drive around the neighborhood 100 times and not have anywhere to go.

We'll be on the Fantasy in March and we're taking the train. Our train arrives at 5 am so we'll do breakfast at 6 am and then we'll be walking around downtown with our luggage until we can check in. I'm curious what the earliest time is that we can do that. It's ok if we don't board right away as long as we can at least be sitting in a temperature controlled waiting room.

In November when I cruised out of Charleston, early check in time ended around 10:25-10:30. Get there before that and you'll be good for the early arrivals. If you can't, wait until after 11:30 because you'll just be sitting in a parking line waiting. I think they stop letting people into the parking lot for awhile while the pax that are leaving clear out of there. Charleston is different in the way they do embarkation, but it runs really smoothly. They seem to have it down to a way that works for them. And, oh my gosh, silent debarkation is WONDERFUL. They have that down to a science, too. Way easy.

We'll be on the Fantasy in March and we're taking the train. Our train arrives at 5 am so we'll do breakfast at 6 am and then we'll be walking around downtown with our luggage until we can check in. I'm curious what the earliest time is that we can do that. It's ok if we don't board right away as long as we can at least be sitting in a temperature controlled waiting room.

When we were there they wouldn't let us WALK onto the ship...they had a process. car/bus/truck/taxi goes through gate, you show them your docs, give them your luggage and get on shuttle that takes you to the ship...we were also on foot and they refused to let us in. We actually got on a bus that was coming through check in, just to do the above and get off...

Once you get off the shuttle there is a temperature controlled area to wait in...the check in process was actually one of the better ones I have ever seen, but getting into the parking lot to check in was another story.

There is no where to sit in the terminal.

Did they remove the chairs that were over to the left after you check in and before you go up the escalator? I know they didn't have anywhere enough for the entire ship but last time we were there they had about 200 chairs or so...

It is so easy when you arrive Charleston. It is a little maze with three checkpoints - dropping off your luggage, show your boarding passes, and then pay for the parking lot. Then you are off to park your car in the warehouse. The shuttle awaits you and takes you over to the ship. Have a good time! I am going on Fantasy too in May. :D

Did they remove the chairs that were over to the left after you check in and before you go up the escalator? I know they didn't have anywhere enough for the entire ship but last time we were there they had about 200 chairs or so...

Is the escalator something new? I last cruised out of here 2010 December and they only had an elevator for those that needed it the rest had to climb some stairs.

We will be there with you. Leaving car at motel and taking a taxi to port.

When we were there they wouldn't let us WALK onto the ship...they had a process. car/bus/truck/taxi goes through gate, you show them your docs, give them your luggage and get on shuttle that takes you to the ship...we were also on foot and they refused to let us in. We actually got on a bus that was coming through check in, just to do the above and get off...

Once you get off the shuttle there is a temperature controlled area to wait in...the check in process was actually one of the better ones I have ever seen, but getting into the parking lot to check in was another story.

Can you tell me more about the bus? Where to get on, do you have to pay? I hope not! How can they make you pay because you don't have transportation?

Oops, 5th cruise and all of the others had some seats to sit at while waiting for your zone to be called. I just assumed they call did.

Somebody said early check in ends around 10:30, what times does it begin? We'll be done with breakfast around 7 am and I'm sure the market won't take too much of our time.

Chairs are still there (but certainly a lot less in number than in other ports we have been in). Did not see an escalator, but elevator is in hallway with restrooms.

Can't help with early check-in info - we arrived by car after 12:00pm. I just wrote my Fantasy review yesterday - check it out!

Archived