Carnival Dream-Cove Balcony

MRSD_07

My Hubby and I are in the process of booking our cruise vacation for later this year- Oct 13-20 on the Dream.

One of the stateroom choices is "Cove Balcony." We took a Holiday cruise on the Dream during it's inaugural year, but we were in a "regular" balcony room.

My question is this-what's the difference between a regular balcony room and a cove??? Do any of you happen to have pictures of a cove balcony room so we can check them out before making a final decision??

Thanks in advance!!

My Hubby and I are in the process of booking our cruise vacation for later this year- Oct 13-20 on the Dream.

One of the stateroom choices is "Cove Balcony." We took a Holiday cruise on the Dream during it's inaugural year, but we were in a "regular" balcony room.

My question is this-what's the difference between a regular balcony room and a cove??? Do any of you happen to have pictures of a cove balcony room so we can check them out before making a final decision??

Thanks in advance!!

Haven't been in one, but was looking at them today on the deck plan. From what I can tell by the deck plans, the size of the stateroom is smaller because the balcony takes up part of what would otherwise be part of the stateroom. Notice the oceanview staterooms next door to them. The interior space of the oceanview stateroom is larger. Whereas a regular balcony room is the same size as an oceanview, PLUS the balcony. Also, the cove balcony staterooms are on deck 2, compared to being higher on the ship for a regular balcony stateroom.

Cove balconies are only on Carnival Dream and Magic (and will be on Breeze). We think they are GREAT but not all people do. They are only on Deck 2 (Main Deck) so you are close to the water.

Instead of a regular balcony, they are through the hull. In very bad weather, the might seal your balcony door, but that isn't often. On our Carnival Dream Mediterranean cruise, they sealed the door one day but the weather and seas were so bad that day that the ship changed course, we skipped the Barcelona port stop and went directly to Monte Carlo.

Last Spring we had one on Carnival Magic for 21 days of Mediterranean cruising and they didn't seal the door once.

You can see here:

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/CarnivalDream/coveDummies.htm

You can find some more glimpses of the one we had on Carnival Magic in various pictures here:

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/CarnivalMagic/May_01_2011/index.htm

and here:

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/CarnivalMagic/May_10_2011/index.htm

We have reserved a cove balcony for our upcoming cruse. The cabin is the same size as the rest of the standard balcony cabins on the Dream. Ocean view cabins are often bigger than the balcony cabins because instead of the balcony, it is more cabin space.

The balcony on the cove is 10 squre feet larger than a standard balcony. A standard balcony is 35 sq ft and the cove balcony is 45 sq ft. The cove balcony doesn't have a glass bottom half insstead it is a cut-out from the ship's hull. It is said to be more private than a standard baalcony.

Although I don't have a picture of the cove, Googling cove balcony yields many, many picctures.

The Cove, being closer to the water, will allow you to see flying fish and other ocean life easily. The standard balcony cabins are above the Lanai deck. The Lanai deck juts out so you would not be able to see straight down to the water.

Although it is completely a preference thing I think the benefits of the Cove is the best kept secret on the Dream.

Haven't been in one, but was looking at them today on the deck plan. From what I can tell by the deck plans, the size of the stateroom is smaller because the balcony takes up part of what would otherwise be part of the stateroom. Notice the oceanview staterooms next door to them. The interior space of the oceanview stateroom is larger. Whereas a regular balcony room is the same size as an oceanview, PLUS the balcony. Also, the cove balcony staterooms are on deck 2, compared to being higher on the ship for a regular balcony stateroom.

Maybe this is due to the fact the oceanview rooms are actually deluxe oceanview rooms with 1.5 bathrooms?:rolleyes: Just a thought.;)

We had a cove balcony on the Magic 2 months ago, and I really liked it. I love being so close to the water! The actual cabin space is at least as big as a standard balcony room, if not bigger. I have another one booked on the Magic in April. :)

PS - I've had aft wraps on 4 different ships and standard balconies on several. If I can't afford to have an aft wrap, I will choose a cove balcony from now on (if I'm on the Magic.). It's an added bonus that they are cheaper than standard! :D

Coves are the way to go, for sure!!! We've got one booked for the Dream's sister ship. Close to the water, more privacy, plus I like the balcony being within the hull of the ship. The stats for staterooms are as follows:

Regular balconies: 185 sq.ft. + 35 (balcony) = 220 total

Cove balconies: 185 sq.ft. + 45 (balcony) = 230 total

Deluxe Oceanview: 230 sq.ft. (all indoors)

Standard Oceanview: 220 sq.ft.

We have a cove balcony booked on the Dream for early Nov 2012. We like the idea of being closer to the water. In our research we found that you need to choose the room carefully, depending on what is right below you. You could end up above the galley which might have noise at different times of the day. Alos have read about a sewage smell in the hallways on deck 2. I think the cabin looks the same as any standard balcony. There are several pics of the cove balcony cabins on here. Happy sailing, enjoy your cruise.

Thank you all for your help. I'm going to share this info and pictures with DH, but I can almost guarantee that he'll go for the Cove Balcony too!! Our favorite thing about cruising-other than being out on the water and away from home, etc, it sitting out on the balcony and just relaxing-I like the idea of being able to actually see ocean life and being close to the water. (as long as the weather's good of course!) :-)

Thanks again!!!

Be careful what is above you, that is the galley, we could hear noise in the morning. But still love the Cove. It was so nice to be close to the water. The noise wasn't that bad, try and book want forward. We had one in the middle the ship rode great down there. I would do it again in a heart beat.

Anita

ya ho.....booked a cove on the dream Nov 10 2012..........married 45 years. 60 + cruises all lines all over never a cove. The cove cabin is why we booked on the dream.....private at the water line ..........trust me on this one I have a 100ton masters captain lic. and run tour boats in SC........you go enjoy and God Bless.......

Sailing in less than 2 weeks in a Spa Balcony, so I've shopped them... Here are differences, as I have been able to understand them...

Cove Balcony: Slightly larger, but not a huge difference. RIGHT near the water line... Some love this, some hate it. Many note that you can see the dolphins, etc... in the water around the ship from your balcony. Pretty cool. The "More Private" part comes from the differences in the dividers between the balconies... As you can see from the pics, the Cove Balcony has a divider that goes top to bottom, and the regular balcony does not, so it is a bit less private as you can see / hear those on the balcony near you more easily.

Regular Balcony: Slighty smaller, higher deck (nicer view, according to some). The big difference is in the areas on the side of the ship. If you look at the pictures, you see that the Cove is cut out of the hull, so it is much more enclosed. The regular balconies are plexiglass, so you can see much more, especially when sitting.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: First pic is the Cove divider, Second is the Cove view out (showing the actual view and the cut-out section, Third is the regular balcony with plexiglass...

308369126_Cove1.jpg.a22a78b6fc35c0aae463beb6b329933d.jpg

482361782_Cove2.jpg.1f1839ba079982a1463e0bfead2bc093.jpg

1202136102_DreamBalcony.jpg.a43386a7ae7c1cf06858f20a209d99bc.jpg

We booked the Dream just to try a cove balcony. We were in 2288 and never heard a thing. I loved being so close to the water. I would never book a private balcony on this ship just because of the promenade jutting out. I like to look straight down to the water. It was rough on our Thanksgiving sailing and the doors were not closed. It was nice and smooth even with the rough waters, being down on deck two. You could sure feel it up high or in the aft. Another perk is down one floor to disembark for ports. Have a great cruise.

ya ho.....booked a cove on the dream Nov 10 2012..........married 45 years. 60 + cruises all lines all over never a cove. The cove cabin is why we booked on the dream.....private at the water line ..........trust me on this one I have a 100ton masters captain lic. and run tour boats in SC........you go enjoy and God Bless.......

Hey you are on same cruise as we are. Why not join the roll call? It is a dud so far, I am almost the only one posting. Curious--what cabin # you're in. We're in # 2256. CYa onboard.

Archived