Question about NCL's Sawyer Glacier excursion

sdmike

I have read that they meet the ship near the Glacier and transfer the passengers back right there in the water. I'm interested in this same excursion, but I haven't even been able to locate it in my May 19th Jewel sailing.

I have read that they meet the ship near the Glacier and transfer the passengers back right there in the water. I'm interested in this same excursion, but I haven't even been able to locate it in my May 19th Jewel sailing.

But Skagway is the other direction, isn't it? That's why I was confused

We did a this one in Juneau, on the Star, last May. We boarded a smaller boat, they took us down to the glacier, with incredible photo ops along the way. We floated around it for awhile, then met up with the Star, where we reboarded in the channel. It was the best excursion I have ever done!

We did a this one in Juneau, on the Star, last May. We boarded a smaller boat, they took us down to the glacier, with incredible photo ops along the way. We floated around it for awhile, then met up with the Star, where we reboarded in the channel. It was the best excursion I have ever done!
One of our favorites, too! The Star will follow the catamaran and go as far as it can toward the glacier. The catamaran might make it all the way to the glacier, if there's not too much ice, and then it will return to the Star to re-board those on the excursion.

We have it booked for our Jewel sailing over July 4th -- REALLY looking forward to it!!!

Tom

We have it booked for our Jewel sailing over July 4th -- REALLY looking forward to it!!!

Tom

Did you book it thru NCL? If so, where does it show up in their list of excursions? I can't seem to find it for our May 19th Jewel cruise. Is it possible that it is too early in the season to do it at that time?

Thanks!

Mzz

Did you book it thru NCL? If so, where does it show up in their list of excursions? I can't seem to find it for our May 19th Jewel cruise. Is it possible that it is too early in the season to do it at that time?

Thanks!

Mzz

I have heard from a couple of people who were there early in the season that increased ice prevented them from getting as close.

When I originally booked it online (yes, through NCL), it was not showing up correctly -- Juneau was listed as a SEA DAY! Eventually I figured it out (a workaround) and booked it.

Tom

Sometimes if Sawyer has too much ice you will go to Dawes Glacier, which is pretty spectacular, below is the link to our pictures of Dawes Glacier, they aren't necessarily in the right order. Also below is my review of the excursion. Hope this helps.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/581066681EuAmKA

3. Tracy Arm Explorer and Glacier Explorer – Best excursion ever, if you are going to spend big bucks on one excursion this should be it! It takes you within ¼ mile of the glacier. About noon meet at the cruise ship and board your excursion boat (this gives you about 4 -5 hours in Juneau to explore.You then head towards Sawyer glacier or Dawes glacier stopping on the way for whale, bear, seal, mountain goat, eagle sightings. You will get up close and personal with some waterfalls while winding your way through the fjord and the icebergs until you get to the really main event. You spend about an hour or two at the glacier viewing from all angles and waiting for a calving, then in the far distance you see your ship doing it’s viewing of the glacier and you know that it’s time to go. You then meet the ship and jump from one boat to the other to get back onboard while all the other passengers watch with envy in their hearts and minds. The boat has three decks, main deck is heated with almost floor to ceiling windows, with nice clean warm bathrooms, there is complimentary coffee, tea, hot chocolate plus you can buy alcoholic drinks and food (usual burgers hot dogs etc). The other two decks are open air decks perfect for the millions of photo ops you will have while viewing the glacier.

Sometimes if Sawyer has too much ice you will go to Dawes Glacier, which is pretty spectacular, below is the link to our pictures of Dawes Glacier, they aren't necessarily in the right order. Also below is my review of the excursion. Hope this helps.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/581066681EuAmKA

3. Tracy Arm Explorer and Glacier Explorer – Best excursion ever, if you are going to spend big bucks on one excursion this should be it! It takes you within ¼ mile of the glacier. About noon meet at the cruise ship and board your excursion boat (this gives you about 4 -5 hours in Juneau to explore.You then head towards Sawyer glacier or Dawes glacier stopping on the way for whale, bear, seal, mountain goat, eagle sightings. You will get up close and personal with some waterfalls while winding your way through the fjord and the icebergs until you get to the really main event. You spend about an hour or two at the glacier viewing from all angles and waiting for a calving, then in the far distance you see your ship doing it’s viewing of the glacier and you know that it’s time to go. You then meet the ship and jump from one boat to the other to get back onboard while all the other passengers watch with envy in their hearts and minds. The boat has three decks, main deck is heated with almost floor to ceiling windows, with nice clean warm bathrooms, there is complimentary coffee, tea, hot chocolate plus you can buy alcoholic drinks and food (usual burgers hot dogs etc). The other two decks are open air decks perfect for the millions of photo ops you will have while viewing the glacier.

Sounds like a great time -- thanks for the specifics on the tour boat itself too!

Tom

The excursion leaves at 1pm in the afternoon. The ship leaves Juneau at 1:30pm. Where does the excursion meet back up with the ship? How does this work? We're on the Jewel in late July.

Thanks

Hey I am on the July 14th sailing and I am so doing this with the family... I have done it once before on my solo trip to alaska a few years ago.. The Tracy Arm Fjord excursion was amazing... I almost missed it lol cause I did a kayaking trip prior to it and ran a little late, but thankfully I made it with 5 minuted to spare... I would have been so upset if I missed it.. On my trip I was able to see lots of wildlife even a humpback whale! We saw a large iceberg flip over to reveal an unbelievably blue bottom.. and we saw the glacier cave in and felt the wave.... I hope I (and you) have the same excitement that I experienced... I did it in June and it was quite cold on the smaller boat so bring layers especially if you plan on being outside while en route. Try to touch the walls if you can its a great experience. I also would reccommend sun screen and lip protetion.. I ended up with wind burn and a sun blister on my lip from being in the sun all day.... So worth it!!

Tom

Awesome Tom. We have also booked the Jewel to Alaska (different sailing date). Looking forward to your feedback when you get back since you are going before us.

Hey I am on the July 14th sailing and I am so doing this with the family... I have done it once before on my solo trip to alaska a few years ago.. The Tracy Arm Fjord excursion was amazing... I almost missed it lol cause I did a kayaking trip prior to it and ran a little late, but thankfully I made it with 5 minuted to spare... I would have been so upset if I missed it.. On my trip I was able to see lots of wildlife even a humpback whale! We saw a large iceberg flip over to reveal an unbelievably blue bottom.. and we saw the glacier cave in and felt the wave.... I hope I (and you) have the same excitement that I experienced... I did it in June and it was quite cold on the smaller boat so bring layers especially if you plan on being outside while en route. Try to touch the walls if you can its a great experience. I also would reccommend sun screen and lip protetion.. I ended up with wind burn and a sun blister on my lip from being in the sun all day.... So worth it!!

I forgot to mention that I have my entire family believing me when I say you have to get a running start and actually jump onto the cruise ship!! They are so anxious to see if they can make it lol!!

But Skagway is the other direction, isn't it? That's why I was confused

In 2010, we were on the NCL Star. The ship left Juneau and headed south- away from Skagway. Why? Because the captain took us up the Tracy Arm to the Sawyer Glacier. Skagway looks to be 60 miles or so from Juneau, so NCL must figure there's time to cruise the Tracy Arm, before turning around and heading north.

Archived