Top 5 Things You Must Pack

LeeNHCruiser

We were wondering...how do the locks work if they are "TSA Approved"? Do the TSA People have the combinations?

No, like all normal luggage locks, you pick the combination yourself after you buy them (follow the instructions).

On the bottom of the lock there is a keyhole, plus a code that's on file with the TSA that lets then know which master key works on that brand of locks. If they use they key, it flips the indicator letting you know your luggage was searched.

At least that's the way it is for my Samsonite brand ones.

Here's something to NOT bring: leave all your extra credit cards, debit cards, membership cards, etc., at home.

Just one thing - if your credit card does get stolen & you need to cancel it, you'll for sure need another one so I recommend two. This happened to my Dad on our last cruise while he was on a Cozumel tour. Also...if you bring a 2nd card that you rarely or never use, be sure to 1st call the card company to let them know your travel plans & that you might be using it or they may decline charges from out of your home area.

The only things I absolutely must pack are the thingsI know I definitely cannot get either on the ship or in port - credit card, medications and contact lenses. If I forget anything else, I can get it later.

I agree with most of the things on other lists, but want to add a "100% Waterproof Digital Camera Case for all Cameras".

This is a hard clear plastic ziploc kind of case you can put any camera in. If you are going to swim (even in the pools) you will want to take cool pictures. A water proof camera (film only) is $20. the case can be found online (eBay etc) for about $40. It is reusable...

Ok here is my top 5 things I will definately be packing for my next cruise. (aside from some obvious things)

1) Air freshener.....I use this natural orange stuff that you can get in Walmart for about $3.00 and it is the absulute best! I never once smelled the bathroom!

2) Binoculars....really were nice to have and I really enjoyed using them leaving the ports.

3) Mesh shower ball....one for the shower from the dollar store that I could throw out at the end of the cruise.

4) Laundry bag....I bought one for me & one for the hubby from the dollar store to keep our dirty clothes in one spot and then we just kept the bags under the bed ( I also put some dryer sheets in them to keep them fresh)

5) Medicines....Tylenol, Alieve, Tums, Claritan....a little bit of everything for any ailment that might come up (DH and I found that after all of the food we needed those Tums the most!!)

I agree with all of this. I made my own laundry bags out of an old dress that was given to me that was too worn to wear. although i did not take air freshner last two cruises, I will now. I always throw a bunch of dryer sheets in my suitcases. We do laundry at least once on board, so I will take my own laundry soap since theirs is so expensive. Just hate doing laundry the day I come back from a cruise.

So must takes for me of top 5 items,

1. Meds, a necessity because I have so many.

2. nebulizer

3. Laundry soaps and quarters, and laundry bag.

4. Cameras, batteries, sd cards.

5. wheelchair

1. Tickets!

2. Disposable Ponchos (.98 cents at walmart camping section)

3. Air freshener incase you have a stinky bathroom

4. Lanyards (get hole puched in your S&S card then you can carry it around your neck and not have to look in pockets for it)

5. Those stick drink mixes so you can hide the taste of the water if you do not like it.

This has been so useful. Thank you for all the input. I tend to over pack. Kitchen comes (I leave the sprayer behind:D) I will try be conservative.

If you don't have a balcony is a bungee cord needed?

Is there really a shortage of hangers?

A small portable fan. TRUST ME on this one. I'd considered packing one since someone here mentioned it, but I didn't b/c I didn't know that we couldn't control our own thermostats :eek: [this was our first cruise] and our cabin was a consistent 75 degrees :( w/precious little air coming through the vent on the ceiling. I asked to borrow a fan but was told they didn't have any available. The stale non-circulating air was awful - next time we're packing a small fan no matter what.

I also wouldn't want to forget the over-the-door-shoe-holder for bathroom items as some bathrooms are teeny-tiny.

The multi outlet power strip was a lifesaver as our cabin had only two plugs - one in the bathroom and the other near the dresser.

A clock radio. I didn't trust my morning wake-up call plus it was nice knowing the time since our cabin didn't have a clock.

Steph

I also plan on taking a extension cord, plus the other things you mentioned. I also bring a fan, but not for the air, but because I use one at home. I have to have the noise of the fan. And also when traveling to Europe, if you are staying in one of the countries before and or after your cruise, an adapter. And make sure it has outlets for all the countries.

• 2 months later...

I haven't read this enitre thread, but I have to say that the over-the-door shoe holder was invaluable on our last cruise. I read that advice on this board. I never would have thought about it myself. It kept our room so neat and tidy. Great tip!

This is such a great thread. Just when I thought I had identified everything I would need - there are several I didn't think of! Such as:

• Powerstrip
  • Purell
  • Highlighters
  • Sewing Kit
  • Alarm Clock

Thanks!!! :D

Having just returned from my first cruise, I did pack too much. (I knew I would) The one thing we wished (3 of us mom's in a room) was more suction cup holders for hats, lanyards, etc. The shoe organizer thing helped a lot too.

Hello all,

1. Zip lock bags are for sure

2. sound machine...takes care of any extra noise

3. swim shoes

4. walkie talkies

5. box of wine...:D

Have a great cruise!!! Take Care!!

will a small :o box of wine fit in the fridge?

A small portable fan. TRUST ME on this one. I'd considered packing one since someone here mentioned it, but I didn't b/c I didn't know that we couldn't control our own thermostats :eek: [this was our first cruise] and our cabin was a consistent 75 degrees :( w/precious little air coming through the vent on the ceiling. I asked to borrow a fan but was told they didn't have any available. The stale non-circulating air was awful - next time we're packing a small fan no matter what.

Steph

whaaaaaaaaaat? you can't control the thermostat??

We're leaving this Thursday for our cruise on Monday. This board is so helpful ! I see the threads about what not to forget and what you would have left home, so what are your top 5 items that are an essential on the cruise? (Besides the obvious of clothes, personal hygiene, camera, sunscreen, etc.) I'm looking for those "oh yea!" items that would be helpful. :)

Big drinking glass for hot or cold drinks....can never get enough out of little glasses in the Buffet. Great fro a large coffee in the morning..Get cheap at walmart and pitch at the end of the cruise. Also fill with ice and water when leaving for excursions...... You may can carry extra coat hangers if they will let you. Should by some chance decide to take a cell phone DON"T FORGET the charger. needle and thread for when that button decides to pop off...

Lynda Memphis TN

I'm packing a couple of the "space bags" - the kind that you don't need a vacuum to seal... you just put your items in, and then roll it up to push out all the air.

I'm not using them to pack for the cruise, just to compress everything at the end to make room for anything I might have purchased!!

(instead of bringing an empty duffel bag, I'll bring empty space bags! There's no EXTRA luggage that way! Just heavier!!)

1. Duct Tape..(found many uses for it)

2. Wireless or Wired Headphones for the t.v. watcher so the other can sleep

3 Antibiotics (just in case)

4. Two Dollar bills for tipping are unique and loved by room service

5. Instant coffee or inexpensive coffee pot if you have to have coffee first thing and don't want to wait for room service

Have a great trip

whaaaaaaaaaat? you can't control the thermostat??

When we were on the Spirit, I never touched it, and I am very hot blooded. If we could have changed it, I have not idea how. But I take the fan for the "white noise".

Your going to have a wonderful cruise, have lots of fun.

When we were on the Spirit, I never touched it, and I am very hot blooded. If we could have changed it, I have not idea how. But I take the fan for the "white noise".

Your going to have a wonderful cruise, have lots of fun.

Thanks! :)

Please forgive my naïveté but we're driving ourselves to the port in Mobile so does this apply to the luggage we are going to check at the pier or is this only for airlines?

What do you use to secure the bags you check at port? Are small locks allowed?

Sorry for being such a newbie...

Steph

We have just used the small locks and been fine, when not flying.

Archived