Impassable Road on the other side of the island?

PyeDog

I found this information on a website about Cozumel beaches:

North of the road going to the other side of the island there are many natural beaches. Recently, this road has become impassable, and could quite possibly strand your vehicle. The rental agencies prohibit you from taking their vehicles up this road, so be prepared to walk. The road to the south point of the island going to the light house also has many beautiful beaches. The roads are unpaved and rough so be sure your transportation is reliable. If you are interested in making the trip, let Dan or Veronica know and they'll et you set up on a Dune Buggy Tour. Omar is the tour guide and can be reached by calling the office at 872-0788.

What exactly does this mean to us if we rent a car and want to drive out to see Coconuts, Chen Rio, etc.? I assume we can still get to those places? Tell me about these beautiful natural beaches.....how far is the walk and what would I expect to see if I hoofed it?

Thanks,

Pyedog

There is no way you can walk to the northern light house. It is approx. 10km past Mescalito´s down the 4WD sand road. You can drive to the southern lighthouse at Punta Sur and the view is incredible! The beaches are all about the same on the east side.

I have considered making a trip to the northern lighthouse on my own but have never found the time to do it. Last time I was in Cozumel I talked to a group of 4 that tried on their own but ended up turning back because it was so slow and rough. Anyone considering this should keep in mind that many of the rental jeeps have the 4wd disconnected to save on maintenance therefor making them useless for this trip.

I´ve never made it all the way to the lighthouse either. I´ve been about 8km down the road and that distance took almost an hour and a half! It is really bad with deep sand in several spots. There are also several tours who use the road and it is only wide enough for one vehicle! So you have to pull over or put it in reverse alot.

Archived