Crown princess steaming home!

6pack

WHIMSY'S report includes a very telling comment why the virus might have spread as much as it did:

Later that morning, the captain announced that they had been checking the rooms of the passengers that were ill and they were out of their rooms....which made us very uncomfortable leaving ours.

Just home from the 2/4 Plague Princess sailing. I knew something was up when I got up before sunrise on the morning we were supposed to make Curacao and saw we were sailing toward the North Star, not away. But I thought maybe we were going to approach Curacao from the south for some reason...

We did not get sick, maybe b/c we were fanatical about handwashing, etc., but 3 of our group of 30 or so were down. I suppose we might still be infected and not manifesting symptoms yet. We were speculating (emphasis on speculating) that the last batch of pax passed it to the crew who passed it to the 2/4 pax, and so on, but who knows?

Anyway, we did have a good time and met a lot of very nice people, both pax and crew. And I have to give kudos to Capt Nash - he was very straightforward & sincere about the whole thing. Kinda funny to hear a ship's captain on the PA pleading with people to turn in poo samples though.

We thought the food was quite good, cabin service was excellent, buffet service wasn't all that slow. Traditional dining in the DaVinci at 5:30 was quite slow though - never got done with dessert before 7:30.

Thanks to Pam in CA for the tip about using the Promenade Deck to get around the obstruction on Deck 6.

Addendum: I miss my balcony!

Glad to hear that you had a great time despite the Noro outbreak. How was the ballroom dancing? Were most of those activities able to continue?

It's turned quite cold in southeastern lower Michigan, and snow is on its way this afternoon. Not only do I miss my Baja balcony but also the warm sunshine and ocean breezes.

Bon Voyage!

Chris

How was the ballroom dancing? Were most of those activities able to continue?

Chris

Dancing was great. Elements is outstanding for CW, swing, etc (usually in Explorers), and the Orphea Quartet in the Wheelhouse is great for ballroom - they played several of our requests. I mean who would expect a cruise band to know "Por Una Cabeza" (Argentine tango)?

DW and I did carry hand-san with us and used it discreetly after dancing with other people. Maybe a bit rude, but I wasn't going down with Noro if I could help it.

Sounds like you are another who made the best of a bad situation. I'm glad you and your friends had a nice relaxing cruise even though it wasn't the cruise you hoped for when you set sail.

DW & I were on the same cruise with Whimsy and we among the lucky ones who cruised Crown with no Noro problems.

I join Whimsy in thanking those who try to make the best of a bad situation. In the general scheme of life a messed up vacation is bothersome, but minor compared to so much of what happens today.

I think one of the more helpful posts I read was one that mentioned the possibility of Noro spreading by having everyone waiting together in the Convention Center - something Princess might need to address somehow. I just hope people won't avoid the Crown (we loved it!) or other cruise ships because of the negative publicity.

We were with you as well. Sorry that the Crown is getting all the bad press, as we had sailed here 4 other times and found her to be a sound ship. And of course, we really enjoy sailing with Capt Nick, he is the commander of his ship and at all times displays solid leadership characterisitics...especially communication. I plan on wriitng a letter to Princess to express my positive thoughts on this voyage and in the manner in which Capt Nick and Princess handled it. I hope my fellow cruisers do the same. Although I know they monitor the CC boards, I want to put my comments in writing. Stay well!

Archived