Does any one know who will conduct an investigation of the incident on the Dawn?

smeyer418

Is it the Coast Guard or the NTSB(the national transportation safety board) or someone else? I know NTSB is doing the investigation on the Norway(which it hasn't completed two years later). The NTSB investigates every incident on a plane when someone is injured(and sometimes when an incident takes place if no one is injured)

I can't see any point in conducting an investigation.....storms happen. I would give a commendation to the bridge crew for being alert and getting the bow turned into the heavy sea. :rolleyes:

calee, I'm actually a little confused about how the Dawn was hit. I have read over and over again that she was hit broadside, but the reports so far indicate that most of the damage was done to the fore of the ship. Do you know how or where she was actually hit? Thanks.

There should be an investigation.

Every time there is a plane crash or a train accident, the NTSB investigates.

Since this is (thankfully) a VERY RARE event for cruises, there SHOULD be an investigation to determine what caused it, and more importantly, how (if at all) captains could avoid something like this in the future.

There should also be an investigation to determine whether this is any connection to the shiip's changed itinerary and plan to steam back to NY earlier than usual.

Coincidence or connection? NCL MUST answer this question, at the very least.

How ironic, though, huh?

So much about the discussions aboutwhether you had to get off at 7:30 or could stay on until 11.

If You Are Going To Sail The Atlantic Or North Atlantic The Dawn Is Not The Ship To Sail On. Better To Meet This Type Of Ship In Florida And Miss The Heavy Seas. We Were On The Qm2 The Week Of April 2 2005 And Had Similar Seas Leaving Nyc With 40 Mph Head Winds And 30-40 Ft Seas And The Qm2 Came Thru As A True 150,000 Ton Oceanliner Should. Some Of The Waves In The Middle Of The Night I Was Told Hit The Bridge Windows Several Times . The Bridge Is Approx 150 Ft Above The Water Line. After The Bow Hit The Waves And The Wind Took The Wave To The Bridge.the Dawn Is Not A True Ocean Liner But Is A Cruise Ship.

There should also be an investigation to determine whether this is any connection to the shiip's changed itinerary and plan to steam back to NY earlier than usual.

Coincidence or connection? NCL MUST answer this question, at the very least.

Huh? :eek: How can there be a connection. What? The sea gods were upset that the ship left earlier than usual? This is a random, freak occurance. There is no question to answer. This could have happened if they left earlier, normal time, or later. No one knows when something like this will happen. Just like an earthquake. Gee, if I am visiting California and I am scheduled to leave from LAX on Delta airlines at 12:05 but my flight is delayed by three hours and in those three hours a major earthquake happens am I going to blame Delta airlines for that? I don't think so. :rolleyes:

My points are:

1) Was there added pressure on the captain to be on time, so he knowingly went into a storm that he may have went around under other circumstances?

2) Was the ship going faster than usual in an attempt to get back earlier?

I and you all don't know the answers to these questions. And the answers may be routine and understandable. But, they still need to be asked.

My points are:

1) Was there added pressure on the captain to be on time, so he knowingly went into a storm that he may have went around under other circumstances?

2) Was the ship going faster than usual in an attempt to get back earlier?

I and you all don't know the answers to these questions. And the answers may be routine and understandable. But, they still need to be asked.

Do you understand that this was a ROGUE WAVE? A wave out of nowhere? Something that no one could have predicted.

I watched the weather channel that day and they spoke of the unusual conditions in that area due to a low pressure system that produced hurricane conditions. It was unual weather conditions for April. I was under the impression that ships were supposed to avoid situations like this and it seems the Dawn was going straight thru it. I'm sure there will be an investigation...I hope so....it seems odd they did not sail around the system. :)

Is it a problem to not believe everything publicly stated by a self-interested entity that is a potential defendant in thousands of lawsuits?

They are already defending their case in public, whether you realize it or not.

Ironically, the same people on that sailing were going to be potential participants in the next Dawn commercial.

Why am I wasting my time? :rolleyes:

NCL went above and beyond in their handling of this situation. They didn't have to give these people anything but they gave refunds and cruise credit. Why is everyone so suspicious of large companies? Everyone wants to find someone to blame. Sometimes there is no one to blame. Things happen sometimes for NO REASON. There doesn't always have to be someone to blame.

Good Lord !!! We have the makings of another "magic bullet" theory here:confused: . I can't believe the line of thought I'm seeing here.:rolleyes:

"1) Was there added pressure on the captain to be on time, so he knowingly went into a storm that he may have went around under other circumstances?"

:eek: Went around??? He's skirting the east coast...sure can't go west....does he go a few hundred miles further east to get around the storm, not likely.

If you read the report,again, the storm had abated,the seas starting to calm when they were hit by a "ROGUE" wave. Science still doesn't understand rogue waves and they are completely unpredictable,in fact we have a better chance of predicting an earthquake than a rogue wave.

This silly thread should be good for another 50,000 words until something else comes alone........:D

Good Lord !!! We have the makings of another "magic bullet" theory here:confused: . I can't believe the line of thought I'm seeing here.:rolleyes:

"1) Was there added pressure on the captain to be on time, so he knowingly went into a storm that he may have went around under other circumstances?"

:eek: Went around??? He's skirting the east coast...sure can't go west....does he go a few hundred miles further east to get around the storm, not likely.

If you read the report,again, the storm had abated,the seas starting to calm when they were hit by a "ROGUE" wave. Science still doesn't understand rogue waves and they are completely unpredictable,in fact we have a better chance of predicting an earthquake than a rogue wave.

This silly thread should be good for another 50,000 words until something else comes alone........:D

I agree! I don't get some people. Some people want answers for everything. They want to be in control of everything. Nature is funny sometimes, quite cruel other times. Nature, no matter how hard we want to control it, is out of our control.

Since this is (thankfully) a VERY RARE event for cruises, there SHOULD be an investigation to determine what caused it, and more importantly, how (if at all) captains could avoid something like this in the future.

A huge wave perhaps?:rolleyes:

A voice of reason!

:cool:

I am just as skeptical of those who jump to defend NCL so strongly as those who question the fault of this incident. Of course an investigation should be conducted in any accident, weather related or not. Who really knows all of the factors? I have no clue if anything could or should have been done differently but I can't imagine people think this should not be investgated.

calee, I'm actually a little confused about how the Dawn was hit. I have read over and over again that she was hit broadside, but the reports so far indicate that most of the damage was done to the fore of the ship. Do you know how or where she was actually hit? Thanks.

No I don't know for sure.......I'm assuming(a mistake?) that she had her bow into the wave due to the forward cabin damages. I have to think if she were hit broadside there would have been even more damage to balcony cabins and passengers because it would have been a bigger target.

I live in New York and on saturday there was a low pressure system siting of the coast of North Carolina not effecting the beautiful weather we had here on Long Island. They reported on the weather channel 20 foot waves from North florida to south carolina. It sounds as if the NCL captain and crew handled the situation perfectly. This was a freak wave and the ship stood up to it. I definetly would sail on the ship again. Ships have been sailing the Atlantic for hundreds of years, and rarely do they encounter 70 foot or 100 foot waves but it can happen. I am confident that any changes that the Dawn may have to make for safety reasons will be made.

I can't believe the comments I read:

Was the ship going too fast? I understand the Captain had reduced speed to six knots when the wave struck.

Why did the Captain go through the storm? Had it not been for the rogue wave, the trip would have been rough but without incident.

Why didn't the Captain divert around the storm? Much easier said than done as he would have had to go hundreds of miles east around the storm which was traveling east.

Was the ship struck broadside? If it had been, almost every veranda glass door on that side would have been shattered with huge damage and injuries.

"Cruise ships" should not sail out of New York into the Atlantic? Should they only sail up the Hudson? "Cruise ships" have been sailing out of New York to Europe (repositioning cruises), Bermuda, Canada and the Caribbean for decades without serious problems since most of them are twice the size of the Titanic.

Quite obviously the investigation will be performed by media twinkies and uninformed speculators on websites.

Website for the Coast Guard listed a few of their investigations. Number three or so was a 1997 incident with no injury or damage. Sounds an easy one somehow.

The NTSB takes over a year to make a finding, and when they do, I doubt whether even half the people who read it believe it. Still huge debate over why the tail came off the airbus over Queens.

Archived