Best Snorkeling off the Beach in Barbados?

jokesbyjen

Hey all--- we're leaving for our trip this friday, EEEEEK, and I don't even have anything planned for our stop in Barbados.

I'm thinking we'd just like to hop off the ship, grab a taxi, and head to a beach that has nice snorkeling right off the shore...

Any suggestions? Plus how much cab fare would be to get there?

THANKS !!!!

There are a few beaches not too far from the docks that have pretty good snorkeling...

Carlisle Bay, Rockley, Payne's Bay and Folkestone to name a few...

Barbados is a beautiful island with a lot to offer. Whatever beach you pick, you won't be disappointed...

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.472934985680.246435.567405680&type=3&l=7a121683da

Cheers, P:)

Hey all--- we're leaving for our trip this friday, EEEEEK, and I don't even have anything planned for our stop in Barbados.

I'm thinking we'd just like to hop off the ship, grab a taxi, and head to a beach that has nice snorkeling right off the shore...

THANKS !!!!

I can recommend Paynes Bay beach, you can see the turtles surfacing from the beach. Taxi fare from the cruise port was us$15, you may have to haggle with the driver for this price:D

THANKS !!!!

We have been to Folkestone three times for snorkeling. There is also a very nice old church you can tour and a park, graveyard. The snorkeling is great! My son and I saw a huge school of blue tang like fish, probably over 100 of them, also in 2002 I saw a sea snake/eel type of thing, plus all of the other normal fish and coral.

To get there you can take a taxi, or you can take the bus. To get to the bus you walk out of the port area and go off to the right, walk on the sidewalk along the shore. It is about a 8 to 10 min walk. The taxi drivers will really harass you to take a taxi instead. The people at the bus station are very helpful, tell your bus driver that you want to get off at Folkestone and he will help you. When you are ready to leave, walk back to the road and wait for the bus to come back. Ask the driver to make sure you are on the right one. When you are at the bus terminal make sure to buy tokens for the ride back. I think it was about 1.50$ pp to take the bus each way, the only time we used a taxi was in 2002, we paid 15$ pp to take a taxi to Folkestone and 1.50$ to take the bus back. If you are not comfortable taking the bus, a taxi works too, just costs more.

We also really enjoy spending time walking along the shore there, it is SO pretty!

Archived