Curious - Coco Cay

mscruise64

We are going on the Freedom March 25. We only have 3 ports. Do you have any idea what they do if you cant make it to Coco Cay? As it is we have 3 days a sea. I was curious what they would do. Thanks Bill

Most of the time you will have another sea day. Although it would be at the Captains discretion to go to an alternate port if the ship can be accomodated and it does not interfere greatly with the rest of the ships scheduled itinerary. My 2010 cruise on Freedom of the Seas missed St. Maarten due to a nearby hurricane. The captain did try to see if another port could be made without affecting the ships normal itinerary. Unfortunately no other nearby ports could handle the Freedom due to it's size and we just had an extra day at sea.

We were on the Monarch 4-night last week (Jan. 30 sailing) and were scheduled to stop at Coco Cay on Tuesday. They canceled the stop at Coco Cay that day and made it into the day at sea. We stopped there on Thursday (which was originally scheduled as our sea day) and we had a great day on the island.

Yikes! I wish I hadn't read that. We have 40 friends and family on the Monarch with us for a wedding cruise in June. We're getting married in Nassau on Saturday. If the ship switched to Sunday, well - that would make things very interesting.....

You might want to make sure that your wedding planner knows that there's a possiblity of it happening so that they can put a penalty-free contingency plan in place.

We missed Coco Cay our first three tries (1995 and twice in 2009) but made it in December on Monarch (Majesty missed the next day) and January on Navigator.

Whats the point in having a port of call that seems to get missed so much. I almsot feel like RCI should put an *** by Coco Cay on all their sailings so people know their is only a chance you get to visit Coco Cay when they are making their bookings. It would be more truthful and then people wouldn't be as disapointed when it gets missed.

Most misses happen during the winter months when you have cold fronts going by every week. the only time we missed it was in Nov. the weather was fine the seas were terrible.

We were on the Enchantment out of Baltimore and sailed 12/31/11. We were supposed to be at Coco Cay on 1/4/12 but due to bad weather we missed it. The Explorer out of Bayonne was next to us in Nassau on 1/3/12. We were both supposed to go to Coco Cay on the 4th and have two ships visit the island on the same day. There was one extra berth in Nassau for 1/4/12 and somehow Enchantment got to stay the extra day in Nassau. Having two days in Nassau was wonderful! The Explorer had to add an additional day at sea on it's way back to New Jersey.

I have never missed Coco Cay, I guess, I'm lucky. We always enjoy Coco Cay but not necessarily the barbecue LOL

On our last trip I guess a week ago, 4 day trip, the itinerary was changed to Coco Cay on the last day instead of the first because of weather and wind.

I do wish RC would make another port stop in case the wind does not allow tendering, like Key west or another Bahamas port.

Archived