AWESOME site for REALLY nice sterling jewelry

http://www.silvershake.com they're stuff is AMAZINGLY reasonable, and they have a flat $4.99 shipping rate, no matter HOW much you order. their pieces are beautiful and up to date and have everything from plain sterling silver to silver with just about any stone you can imagine. earrings, rings, bracelets, sets, necklaces, charms, pendants/slides, etc. they have a HUGE inventory, so get comfy if you want to browse, or just use their search feature if you're looking for something specific.

my friend (who's cruising with us) and I split the shipping and for $63 we got: 2-18" omega silver chains, 1 silver CZ slide, 1 onyx/mother of pearl slide, 1 pair of matching onyx/mother of pearl earrings, and 5 other pair of misc. sterling earrings.

I stumbled onto them on eBay (they have a HUGE positive feedback rating) and have ordered from them more than once. Shipping takes about 2 weeks (they're in Thailand and ship to TX to clear customs, then your order comes out of TX). they take all CC's and PayPal as well.

anyway, just wanted to share.

...for silvershake.com

I, too, have ordered from them (through e-bay), and have been pleased. I even added them to my list of favorite sellers.

It's true that it takes a bit longer to get your stuff, but they make that perfectly clear before you buy, and if you can stand the wait, their selection and product is great.

T

QVC has a couple products that you might be able to use.

First, to clean already tarnished stuff, there is a tarnish remover plate that you put in a sink with water and some kind of activator and it (supposedly) removes tarnish instantly. I think this is mainly for silver-plated serving pieces, but according to QVC, can be used for jewelry too. The item number is L32103.

Of course, you can buy a tarnish remover/polishing cloth at most drug and jewelry stores, but if you have a lot of tarnished pieces, that could take a while.

Then, to protect clean jewelry from getting tarnished again, they have several jewelry boxes (both top-of-dresser types and travel sizes) that are lined with an anti-tarnish cloth. For example, item H53761. Or H79229 for travel (I have this one, includes three different sizes for everything from overnight/weekend trips to month-long vacations!)

Hope that helps.

T

I'd forgotten about that, good suggestion. Another easy, inexpensive, you-probably-already-have-it-in-your-cabinet solution is to mix baking soda with water into a paste and use that with a soft cloth.

Whatever cleaner/tarnish remove you decide to use, be extra careful with any silver pieces that have gemstones or pearls in the setting. Some, like pearls and opals, are extremely soft and can be scratched and pitted easily.

A co-worker received a Tahitian pearl in a pendant from a jeweler friend of hers, and ended up ruining the pearl this way. She felt terrible and her friend was none too happy.

T

Ohmigosh! What a great site! :eek: I have very short grey hair so I wear large or dangley earrings to avoid any unfortunate gender mistakes -- and of course silver is my color of preference. I could not believe the prices!! Especially on some of the closeout pieces ... I shot a whole afternoon going through it all and of course now can't wait for the order to come. :p Thanks for sharing!

For cleaning, I use a polishing cloth, which was already mentioned. It has a dark red color cloth folded inside (that is treated with tarnish remover) and then the outside cloth is a soft flannel type material that you use afterward, to remove the last of the tarnish and make it shine. This is fine for lightly tarnished or dull pieces (not black ones!) but really black tarnish might take a dunking in something. And yes, you do have to watch out for some stones with some of the treatments ...

Archived