What did you do in San Juan? Only there from 2-10pm

We were able to use the free buses to get from the port to El Morro, the big fort you will see when your ship enters the harbor. The fort closes promptly at 5 PM and stops taking new visitors before that so don't spend a lot of time getting up to it if it is something you want to see. Once you have done that you can wander back down, El Morro sits on a high spot in the city, through the old city. The old main gate is another place to go and see. You can go through it and then follow the walls around the outside of the city back to the port.

You can find a local restaurant to eat if you want but we went back to the ship and had dinner in the dining room since it was already paid for.

Check out the San Juan board in the Ports of call area for lots of information about Old San Juan and things to do and see. Link below.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=131

Have a great next cruise.

We did the same thing, but we walked....the exercise felt great :) ...from the Port to El Morro....we stopped along the way to shop at The Coach and Ralph Lauren stores...although if we had to do it over, we would have reversed things and gone to El Morro first, and then as you are walking back down to the Port, do all your shopping (that way you are not lugging your goodies)...there are also some beautiful cathedrals to visit in San Juan....

bacardi rum factory tour--it was especially a good choice because it rained and the tour was inside. its easy to get to by ferry and then taxi and no cost to take the tour. includes 2 free drinks as well. we had early seating so this was a good choice. got off the ship right away and was back at 5.

What would you all do if you had three children under 12 with you?

Should we just stay on the ship? Should I leave them in Adventure Ocean and just DD and I go for a tour?

What do you suggest?

Thanks for the input.

Sharonna

What would you all do if you had three children under 12 with you?

Should we just stay on the ship? Should I leave them in Adventure Ocean and just DD and I go for a tour?

What do you suggest?

Thanks for the input.

Sharonna

I can't believe you just admitted publicly that you are bringing 3 children under the age of 12 with you ;) LMAO!

I can't believe you just admitted publicly that you are bringing 3 children under the age of 12 with you ;) LMAO!

Omigosh!!! Did I do that. I better run and hide before someone starts throwing Corona's at me.:D

Depending on the exact ages and gender of the 3 kids I don't see why they wouldn't enjoy walking around Old San Juan - especially if they are boys - El Moro the fort is fun to wander around. It is a lot of walking to consider though if they are really little.

I found this on the Legends of Puerto Rico website - it offers really good tips and insight

http://www.*****.com/magazinecruiseship.asp

Guest OBAYbee

With three 12 and under I would probably leave the choice up to them. If they don't want to take a tour with you I would leave them at Adventure Ocean. They can meet the new kids as they board etc. If they want to go on the tour, then judging from what others have posted it would be quite appropriate to take them with you.

Good luck, have fun!

Kim,

Leave the little ones on board. My sons (15,18,21) loved interacting with the shopkeepers in town. They also loved El Morro. There is a Hard Rock Cafe there too. Walking through town is fun, but it is very hilly. Young kids will tire quickly. Your 15l-year-old will really like it. Of all the sights we saw on the cruise, they loved Old San Juan the best.

kssand

I've been many times to San Juan. One trip was on a cruise where we only had a few hours as well. Adults --Bacardi tour was really cool if you like rum. The rainforest is awesome, but it is farther out of the city--it is definitely worth it if you can do it. I loved it! If you have girls, then they will love walking around Old San Juan shopping. A great place to eat is the Butterfly People Cafe. The address is 257 Calle De La Cruz Old San Juan, Puerto Rico 00901. I also vote for El Morro.

Since it's my daughters's birthday, she will not want to be left behind. She wants to do something "special" Sigh...Well, she is turning 13 :D

Thanks so much for the info. I think we'll try the fort and walking around Old San Juan.

You guys and gals are just great!!!

Kim

Thank you once again for all of the great info. I will probably leave my three kids, two of which are girls (for babs275), on board.

Don't know what I would do without you guys.

Sharonna

Archived