Suntan lotion question

We leave for our cruise on May 9th and we have been tanning before we leave....My question is...What type of suntan lotion should we use while on the boat? How much spf should it have? Last time I was in the bahamas I didn't use anything and only my nose and forehead got fried!

I would say you have to make the call. If you are fair....use one with more protection. I am olive skinned and do some pre-tanning before we go and I don't wear any. I like to get tan. Every person is different, and you are the one who knows your tanning tendencies. The sun is obviously alot more powerful than it is in Ohio or Michigan, especially after being indoors all winter.

The higher the spf the better.... In the caribbean you definetly need a higher than 15spf.... depends on your burn index... How long before you see any redness...

Waterproof is always best....

People think that if they use a high spf they won't tan... That is not true..

The spf factor determines how long you can stay in the sun "safely" without burning.. You do get color gradually without burning.

Read the packaging and ask questions...

Oil free is also best for the face..

Try and get a seperate lotion for the face as its opthamology tested whereas the one for the body is not.

Hope this helps.

we live in florida cruise often and have a pool.. the only thing that touches my kids now is BULL FROG!!! It is the best I get the gell and it works great and if you are gonna be getting wet or sweating alot I pay an extra 2 dollars and get BULL FROG AMPHIBIOUS GEL you have to get it off with soap it stays on through almost a whole day of swimming surfing etc...I think it has an spf of like 15 or 30 but we can go all day in hot sun reapplying evry couple of hours just to be safe and noburn at all!! And we are VERYY fair people (red hair/blond hair blue eyes etc) I also have bery sensitive skin use to have to have a seperate perscription sun screen for my face but Bull frog Gel does not give me any problems at all...

I have never had a sunburn... never... I tanned before our last cruise, had a great base, used spf 15... I fried on day 2 sitting on deck in San Juan!!!!! 2nd degree burns on some parts of my body!!!! I was miserable (just ask DH) and it messed up my beach plans for 3-4 days of our cruise. I also itched like a lunatic!!!!! The Dr on board didn't have benadryl. Be careful... better to be safe than ruin your vacation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most of all... have fun.

I use Coppertone Sport, SPF 35. I like that fact that it is sweat proof and it does not sting if you get it in your eyes. Also I do most of my serious tanning on the last 2 days of any vacation, that way even if I do get burned it won't ruin my vacation.

PS remember to do your ears! Saw alot of burnt earlobs on my last cruise.

The higher the spf the better.... In the caribbean you definetly need a higher than 15spf.... depends on your burn index... How long before you see any redness...

Waterproof is always best....

People think that if they use a high spf they won't tan... That is not true..

The spf factor determines how long you can stay in the sun "safely" without burning.. You do get color gradually without burning.

Read the packaging and ask questions...

Oil free is also best for the face..

Try and get a seperate lotion for the face as its opthamology tested whereas the one for the body is not.

Hope this helps.

This is what I did. Since I have acne problems, I had one SPF 45 for my face and "No Ad" spf 45 for my body. I put on a shirt (then got it wet to stay cool) and I BURNED through the shirt! I really like No Ad. It isn't advertized, so a huge bottle was only $4 at SaveOn.

In St. John, we were in the sun for 3 hours, and I applied lotion twice, and I got so burned! Yes, I am tanned now, and the peeling on my shoulders is very light and I'm still dark brown under the flakes.

.... now Naren is right, I am flakey :)

My face is still (yes still) tanned, and I don't use any foundation makeup (just that same face sunscreen). I actually have a healthy glow :)

I always use sunscreen when going out to the beach because of a BAAAAD sunburn I got over 10 years ago that left freckles on my shoulders. I use the lotion, and I may burn, but I hardly peel and I'm still tanned afterwards. :)

Hope this helps.

We used spf 30 and still got burnt. We found that we had to reapply more often the we would at home. We brought a brand new bottle of suncreen and had gone through it in 3 days. We bought more on the ship but wasn't our favorite kind. This year I am definitly bringing two bottles!

I always pre-tan before my vacations, so I'm pretty much golden brown all year long....BUT....the Caribbean sun is STRONG, so even those of us who have a really good "base" are still at risk for burning. I wear an SPF 25 on my face and a SPF 30 on my body......I don't burn and my existing tan just gets deeper!

make sure you do not use the same suntan lotion from one season into the next... Once opened its best used for that season and then toss it.... It expires like medication... That is why some people say they still burn after using a high spf... re-apply after swimming even if it is waterproof.. Sand in the sea can wash that off... Better safe then sorry.

Archived