Triumph 2-4-12 Solo Review

maxbroadway

I grabbed a sandwich at the Deli and tried to rest up a bit. Climbing all those ruins was pretty exhausting. Then it was back out to Deck 3 to watch for pier runners and do a little reading.

I went to dinner about 6:15. On my previous two cruises I had the 6:00 regular seating, and that works well for me even though I would prefer to eat a little bit later. I booked this cruise so late, that only the 8:15 time was available. I put myself on the wait-list for 6:00, but a few days before departure Anytime Dining became available. I don't know how common it is for an option to go from Wait-list to Available, but I was glad I caught it and switched. You can check by clicking the edit link next to your dining time on your booking online.

Anytime dining worked out pretty well for me even as a solo. Every night but one I was seated at a table with 2 or 3 couples. One night I was initially seated with just one couple at a table for 6, and that was a bit awkward. Luckily, another couple was brought over after 15 minutes or so. I had different servers each night, and all of them did a solid job. By going at 6:15, I also got to see the waiters entertain the 6:00 seating.

My main activity this night was the Wonderful World show. I didn't see it when I cruised on the Triumph last year. I liked it more than I expected to. It is a dance heavy show with a small amount of singing. The two singers on this cruise were quite good, so I wish they would have had a larger role. The costumes were incredible, and the Triumph show band is outstanding.

I planned to stay on the ship in Cozumel and enjoy the lack of crowds. I did get off briefly to see the new Duty Free shop and take a quick stroll around the shopping area. When I was last in Cozumel in March 2011, the new Duty Free shop was not open yet. They really did a nice job with it although it's narrow, and I imagine it can get crowded during peak times. One nice touch is the inclusion of a Hudson News like you find in airports. If you need reading material, they have a great selection.

Here are some pictures from the pier. The Carnival Glory, RCCL Liberty and RCCL Mariner were in port as well.

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

I had my regular breakfast in the MDR. Sitting next to me was a relative of Norman Borlaug , and I really enjoyed listening to his conversation with his traveling companions.

I spent the morning reading up on Deck 10 in the shade of the whale tail. The shade disappeared around 11:00. I think I took a nap until it was time for lunch. I had a grilled chicken sandwich from the Lido grill. They don't put them out, but they will cook you one if you request it. It takes about 10 minutes, but it was very good, and I liked having it fresh. Plus, you can go to the other stations and get whatever else you want while they're cooking your chicken.

I spent the afternoon back at my favorite spot on Deck 3 reading and watching for pier runners. Then it was up to the Rome Lounge for the past guest party. This was the first one I have been to, so I can't compare, but I enjoyed it. The band was playing with the female singer from the stage shows, and they were quite good together. Later that evening they played jazz in the Venezia lounge under the name Eddie C and Friends, and I was glad I made my way back there before going to the magic show.

I went to the New Wave Magic Show and was pretty disappointed. There was more dancing than magic, and about half the magic tricks were mediocre at best. A few were good, but not worth sitting through 45 minutes of filler to get to them. The dancers costumes were the best part of the show, but you could see the same thing in the other 2 stage shows.

They do a round of bingo right before the magic show, and it didn't seem like that many people were playing so the chance of winning was a bit better than other bingo games. Speaking of bingo, I really cut back the number of times I played on this cruise. With the mostly low pots and playing only 1 game, it is way overpriced.

Thanks for taking the time to post a review!! We will be boarding the Triumph in just under 2 months, we can't wait!! We are still undecided on what to do in Progresso. We love beaches but we know the ones in progresso are awful. we had heard that there are some nices ones in meridia? Anyone know anything about this? Here is the link to a tour I was told about, anyone know anything?:http://www.autoprogreso.com/ReefEn.html

What a wonderful review so far. I am looking forward to more pictures and am eagerly waiting for the remaining Fun Times. Reading them makes me giddy!

DH and I were on that sailing .. I have scans of the Funtimes in a webshots album as well as some pix of the ship.

click this thumbnail to view

2496098660099316192aCIMoW_th.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to post a review!! We will be boarding the Triumph in just under 2 months, we can't wait!! We are still undecided on what to do in Progresso. We love beaches but we know the ones in progresso are awful. we had heard that there are some nices ones in meridia? Anyone know anything about this? Here is the link to a tour I was told about, anyone know anything?:http://www.autoprogreso.com/ReefEn.html

We're planning on taking this tour in less than a month. I wrote to Autoprogreso with some questions & here's their response:

Hello Dorothy, you can actually wait until you are off the boat and book

through me, it will be same price, $45 USD each, kids price applies for 10

years old and younger.

When you get off the boat, you'll have to walk a little bit , until you

enter a duty free store (only way out for the passengers) when you exit,

keep walking until you see a small water fountain, i'll be at this point

on your left side, i'am the only one of us wearing shorts and a peach

colored uniform shirt, easy to find me, you can meet from 7-9:50 am at

latest, after buying your tickets from me, you'll be taken on the shuttle

bus to the open air market in Progreso to meet the tour bus that will

depart at 10:15.

All drinks (soft and alcoholic) are included as well as a mexican snacks

buffet during 3 hours.

I hope this works and would like to hear from you!

Best,

Gerardo Medina

Online sales

.AOLWebSuite .AOLPicturesFullSizeLink { height: 1px; width: 1px; overflow: hidden; } .AOLWebSuite a {color:blue; text-decoration: underline; cursor: pointer} .AOLWebSuite a.hsSig {cursor: default}

Thank you for posting your review.

We'll be on her in about two months and can't wait.

We've sailed on Ecstasy out of Galveston and loved her. We were very sad to see her leave and we're hoping Triumph will be just as great.

• 1 month later...

Archived