Help! Insurance question/problem...Millie October

Dave&Ann

Help. I know this isn't technically a Celebrity question, although it arises from our upcoming October trip on Millie, and there doesn't seem to be a "Cruise Insurance" board category (unless I missed it, in which case I apologize).

We're going on a family trip (me, my wife, my daughter, my brother-in-law, my wife's mom, my wife's two aunts and their two friends). All except one of us bought cruise insurance from TravelSafe. As it turns out, one of the aunts appears to have leukemia and likely will not be able to travel. She was booked with Ann's other aunt in the same cabin, so we presumed that her additional single supplement would be covered by TravelSafe since her roommate cannot travel (will have documentation). When I called TravelMate (apparently, there's a maze of interconnecting parties involved with insurance), the representative said their program is "reimbursement based." According to him, this means her aunt has to pay her own fare, plus the single supplement (final payment due 7/23 for the 10/12 sailing) and file a claim upon return from the trip. I was astonished. The whole premise behind insurance (IMHO) is to protect the buyer in the event of some unexpected problem. Essentially, this guy is telling us that she has to front the price of virtually two cruises for nearly 3 months and then apply to get her money back. This is most likely a once-in-a-lifetime experience for Ann's aunts (in their 70s), and her aunt is scrimping and saving to go, so now they tell her to come up with an extra $3,000 for Celebrity to hold for 3 months. I don't know how she's supposed to afford that. I have re-read the brochure, and I have a slightly different take (the brochure talks about reimbursement of lost payments, and says that it "will pay your additional costs..." if a traveling companion cannot travel and you do not cancel your trip. Nonetheless, does anybody have experience with this? In the alternative, if I've missed some other information available on the boards, I would appreciate it if somebody would point me in the right direction.

Thanks! Sorry for the long post!

Dave

Dave & Ann

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;10;12;15;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Countdown until our first Millennium cruise!

Since they are not into the penalty period they can cancel with full refund of pmts made. Therefore no loss incurred. If the "well" aunt wants to still go, then I would think she will either pay the sgl supplement or find a cabin mate. I'm no expert though.

If this is a "soft" sailing, Celebrity may be willing to reduce the single supplement under the circumstances. As in any business, supply and demand govern pricing. Ask your TA to get involved on your behalf. This far out, you have other options in addition to haggling with the insurance company.

I'm no insurance expert, but I wonder if travel insurance (which we always buy, but have never had to use) is much like other insurances...they do not pay until you've actually experienced a loss.

If they were to pay NOW for a potential situation that did not happen (i.e. you got a better price, the single supplement was dropped, you found another person to travel, or the ill traveler ended up feeling well enough to go) then the insurance carrier would have to get that money back from you.

Don't misunderstand me as "taking their side," I'm just offering a thought. We all know how difficult insurance companies can be sometimes.

Best of luck to you.

DaveandAnn ~ You should have received a pamphlet or brochure that details all of the fine points for the travel insurance. If you didn't, call the insurance company back and ask for one to be sent to you so you can read all the fine print.

I really don't know how the insurance would handle this, but you may also want to post this question over on the "Ask a Cruise Question" board as well. I agree that you should get your TA involved to try and assist.

Perhaps you can also try to find another family member or friend that could replace the aunt who is ill.

Keep us posted ... whatever information you can provide will be useful.

Our thoughts are with all of you!

~Host Anne

The "you pay first" applies to all travel insurance, including the medical portion. Further, in the case of a medical issue, they will not pay until you have submitted all claims and received disposition from any other insurance coverage you have. They reimburse ONLY actual out of pocket expenses for covered items, and ONLY the portion no one else will pay for up to the limits of the policy. Further, some cruise line insurance policies only give you credit toward future cruises in the event you must cancel.

Read the policy so you know what your are covered for and how you will be reimbursed.

Carnival Ecstasy, March 1993

Celebrity Millennium, Caribbean, Jan 2002

Coral Princess, Panama Canal Feb. 2, 2003 (Review)

Celebrity Summit, Alaska Land (Land Tour Review) & Sea (Cruise Review), Aug. 15,2003

Navigator of the Seas, Family Reunion, March 13, 2004

(Review)

Celebrity Infinity, Valparaiso(Santiago), Chile to Fort Lauderdale, via Panama Canal, Feb. 27, 2005

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;2;27;21;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Archived